Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

faithfulbyname

Seriously underwhelming...

63 posts in this topic

Exactly! Jon Wilkin said the other week that if he could fix one thing in RL, it would be our own negativity about the sport. He likened the attitude of many people in RL to someone liking a cosy, quiet, little restaurant. They don't want to tell anyone else how good it is, in case more people start coming and it stops being the cosy, quite little restaurant.

The same is true of most other sports. RL fans complain a lot less regularly than Football supporters. People in the UK like to complain it is not something specific to RL.

I see your point I think it is good that Warrington have come into things to spice it all up, but it is a shame to have lost Bradford out of the "Big" group.

But really that is not the way to see if you've got a good product. It doesn't matter whose winning the league it matters how competitive it is overall.

The fact is that Super League has been established for ages now, and needs to become more competitive if it ever wants to get bigger:

NRL 2012. Difference between #1 and #16 - 24 points.

NRL 2012. Difference between #2 and #15 - just 18 points.

SL 2012. Difference between #1 and #14 - 30 points.

NRL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - 461

SL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - a ridiculous 1,095

I don't wish to be pessimistic it's a great league to watch I'm just making a point that SL will never expand television-wise whilst there are cricket scores.

I don't care who wins 2013 or who becomes a 'big' club I would like to see a more united competitive league on the pitch for the new season.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are more games in SL, so that will inflate the points gap

I see your point I think it is good that Warrington have come into things to spice it all up, but it is a shame to have lost Bradford out of the "Big" group.

But really that is not the way to see if you've got a good product. It doesn't matter whose winning the league it matters how competitive it is overall.

The fact is that Super League has been established for ages now, and needs to become more competitive if it ever wants to get bigger:

NRL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - 461

SL 2012. MATCH POINTS difference between best and worst - a ridiculous 1,095

I don't wish to be pessimistic it's a great league to watch I'm just making a point that SL will never expand television-wise whilst there are cricket scores.

I don't care who wins 2013 or who becomes a 'big' club I would like to see a more united competitive league on the pitch for the new season.

Interesting post.

There will always be cricket scores when clubs are allowed into SL then don't compete from the outset by setting player budgets at a third below the salary spend norm, and when more clubs are allowed in than there are good enough players to stock them.

RFL/SLE clearly recognise this when the only suggestions from their power bases are a drop to 12 or 10 SL clubs.

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (not as bad as some)

http://mobile.thetel...gue/?ref=twtrec

“The £60million combined debt of 11 Super League teams should be contextualised. The figure pales into insignificance compared to the debts accrued by Premiership and Championship football clubs and many Premiership rugby union clubs.”

Impeccable timing :dry: at season launch

Who do you believe, the guy from the RFL stated that the 60 million figure is actually 2 million and when divided by the clubs is nothing

Who do you believe, the guy from the RFL stated that the 60 million figure is actually 2 million and when divided by the clubs is nothing

Yup.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are more games in SL, so that will inflate the points gap

Just to be clearer, they also all get four points because of the bye weeks, potentially inflating the point total for bottom NRL clubs compared to SL ones.

Just to be clearer, they also all get four points because of the bye weeks, potentially inflating the point total for bottom NRL clubs compared to SL ones.

Well that seems pointless. Do they all get the same number of byes? And all get 4 points added? Seems pointless to add the 4 points if so

Well that seems pointless. Do they all get the same number of byes? And all get 4 points added? Seems pointless to add the 4 points if so

Just to be clear, I agree! Their season is 26 weeks long but teams only play 24 games so they all get two bye weeks. But they "earn" 2 points when on a bye, so Paramatta finished bottom on 16 points even though they only won 6 matches (and no draws). They make no difference to the table at all for deciding positions.

But had they been forced to play those weeks it is not inconceivable that Canterbury would have won their extra games (so still finish on 40 points) and Paramatta lose theirs, making the difference between top and bottom 28 points.

Just to be clear, I agree! Their season is 26 weeks long but teams only play 24 games so they all get two bye weeks. But they "earn" 2 points when on a bye, so Paramatta finished bottom on 16 points even though they only won 6 matches (and no draws). They make no difference to the table at all for deciding positions.

But had they been forced to play those weeks it is not inconceivable that Canterbury would have won their extra games (so still finish on 40 points) and Paramatta lose theirs, making the difference between top and bottom 28 points.

I genuinely had no idea this happened.

What about match points though?? Two table points are given but are any match points given (say a 24-0 win or whatever)?? Otherwise it's a win but with no scoring.

What about match points though?? Two table points are given but are any match points given (say a 24-0 win or whatever)?? Otherwise it's a win but with no scoring.

Just to be clear, it is only competition points awarded. Nothing else in the table changes, so the number of wins and match points all stay the same. It is more like bonus points, just without a separate column.

The only reason I can think to explain them is so that at the end of a round a team will not fall down the table as a result of not having played. Not that that should matter as that would quickly be corrected anyway. All the byes occur in the middle of the season so there are only a few weeks between each team taking them.

Incidentally, in union Super Rugby also has two byes and awards points in the same way, but the AFL season has one bye and does not give any points for it.

One of the comments below the Guardian article today on Brian Barwick's appointment is by Andy Wilson who, to his credit, lambasts his own newspaper for not including a single word on rugby league in this morning's edition.

In other words, Andy Wilson is but one among many to be "seriously underwhelmed" by his newspaper's lack of commitment - I'm being polite - to the game of rugby league.

I saw Hadfield's piece in the Independent today. On the plus side there was a decent 2 page spread (I guess that'll be it for the season).

Overall however the headline starts with the negatives and just doesn't portray a positive thriving sport...

Again, underwhelmed.