Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Inside Out BBC Yorkshire

299 posts in this topic

Not getting the full Sky TV allocation - they went bust, they need to be punished, take it like a man.

Bradford v Saints clashing with Bradford City - no of course you can't shift your match to clash with the WCC where we want the whole focus on rugby league to be.

It wasn't their wrong doings, and they tried and failed. We'll put up with it.

And this freak occurance of City getting to Wembley would hit us badly in the pocket as thousands of fans would want to either go or watch the game on telly. Yes it's not ideal but quite frankly it makes sense. I was all in favour of Saturday, but apparently it seems this would also be detrimental. Still, could do Monday.

Not quite "constant moaning".

typical, as usual just before the "big" kick off another hatchet job to throw doom and gloom at the super league, there will be more before the season kicks off.

It wasn't their wrong doings, and they tried and failed. We'll put up with it.

And this freak occurance of City getting to Wembley would hit us badly in the pocket as thousands of fans would want to either go or watch the game on telly. Yes it's not ideal but quite frankly it makes sense. I was all in favour of Saturday, but apparently it seems this would also be detrimental. Still, could do Monday.

Not quite "constant moaning".

Quite - at least one of the moans - the latter - is quite justified (City moved their home match when it clased with Bulls at Wembley IIRC). Still it isn't constant and it seems that the relentless positivity that has been coming out of the club has been ignored by this poster for a moan (rather ironically)

Which two clubs are charaitable trusts and are not included? Is warrington one?

If 11 clubs owe 68m, but removing 2 clubs reduces the debt to 3m per club, then 9 clubs owe 27m and two clubs owe 41m between them.

3m per club seems reasonable if the debt can be serviced, but those two clubs sharing 41m are in deep doo-doo (and they are not necessarily Bradford & Salford)

Quite - at least one of the moans - the latter - is quite justified (City moved their home match when it clased with Bulls at Wembley IIRC). Still it isn't constant and it seems that the relentless positivity that has been coming out of the club has been ignored by this poster for a moan (rather ironically)

Leeds play their game in hand against Widnes on 17th June, the day after the Exiles. We should do the same... then it'll be a Bulls Saints back to back as we travel to Langtree the weekend before!

(I'm sure there was a fixture quirk in 2005 where Leeds and Leigh played home and away back to back...)

Which two clubs are charaitable trusts and are not included? Is warrington one?

If 11 clubs owe 68m, but removing 2 clubs reduces the debt to 3m per club, then 9 clubs owe 27m and two clubs owe 41m between them.

3m per club seems reasonable if the debt can be serviced, but those two clubs sharing 41m are in deep doo-doo (and they are not necessarily Bradford & Salford)

Saints with Langtree? Wigan with Tomkins?!

Saints with Langtree? Wigan with Tomkins?!

if clubs have invested in a new ground how is that a debt? and tomkins must be an asset.

As this seems to be only being broadcast in the Yorkshire region it will have little or no effect elsewhere unless the southern media pick up on it big time,if they do then that might cause long term problems in finding that new SL sponsor which is not what the game needs right now.

As a matter of interest does anyone know on here which 2 clubs are in trust ?

The Dragons were running (3 seasons ago) at around Euros 3 Million in debt which seemed to be sustainable at the time so this can be added to the figure.

CM

Could work the other way and some bright spark realising that a cheap sponsorship with International coverage could be had.

if clubs have invested in a new ground how is that a debt?

Exactly. Its still a debt, but its a planned one, its managable, and its only like any one of us having a mortgage!

This might help flesh out what he was saying

“We’re becoming heavily dependent on television revenue and also historically on benevolence, Where you find a problem, it’s generally down to poor management from the top and often the withdrawal of a benefactor.

“I think there is a tendency in all our sports where the management tend to focus on things like buying new players, changing the manager, appeasing the fans and reacting to pressure from the media"

"rather than having a clear focus on growth and creating a surplus which can then be re-invested into the business".

Big help. I can see what he's saying, over spending and over reliance on benefactors fits just about all the problems our clubs have had, so I can see that he's right here. And yes clubs feel the pressure to try to get a decent team on the pitch that can compete and yes they may overspend to do that.

But he doesn't square any circles here. He inherited a club that had a "big audience" (12,500) and a decent "product" (runners up to Wigan premiership and cup finalists 1995). Mr. Caddick built his stand and the facilities that provides the income streams.

He inherited a business that had a good product and had a large market to sell it to.

So he was in an excellent position to make a profit which has now sustained Leeds as the games top club over the last so many years.

But how do Cas, HKR, Salford, London, Widnes, Fev, Halifax, Leigh, Sheffield make a profit if they don't have as good a product to put on the pitch or if they don't have a wide enough market for the game or both??.

He talks about "creating a surplus which can then be re-invested into the business".

Again the question is how do clubs create that surplus?

It won't be by cutting player budgets and letting Leeds, Wigan, Saints & Wire run all over them will it?

We need someone with presence who is able to paint a different picture on this programme

But he doesn't square any circles here. He inherited a club that had a "big audience" (12,500) and a decent "product" (runners up to Wigan premiership and cup finalists 1995). Mr. Caddick built his stand and the facilities that provides the income streams.

He inherited a business that had a good product and had a large market to sell it to.

So he was in an excellent position to make a profit which has now sustained Leeds as the games top club over the last so many years.

Leeds weren't in a good way when he came on board, and good management has got them where they are today, although I will accept that the potential and size of the club will help push it further once its been turned around.

If you look at Salford now, MK has said that additional income streams are needed in order for the club to become sustainable, and that being a tenant in someone elses stadium is not going to get you anywhere. The thing is you need the money in order to set up these additional income streams, or to buy/build a stadium.

Chicken and the egg!

George Riley has always struck me as a bit of a miserable ###### who is definitely a glass half empty type.

and he definitely does not take feebdback very well.

Annual hatchet job on eve of season? Check

Man claiming he's only telling it like it is? Check

Man offering a different angle on things? Errr

Anyone read his research into environmental impacts of the Women's Rugby World Cup? I've looked for it but can't find it. It would be interesting to see how that has been structured and what the conclusion were.

I don't have a problem with reporters/journalists giving the sport a hard look (timing is an issue mind you). We need clubs and the RFL to be accountable. However it needs to be balanced reporting, it can't all focus on the negative. In George's defence he does plug the big matches and give them much needed publicity on the radio.

What is the problem is that this is the big RL (only) story on the BBC (mobile app anyway) and it feeds in to the general gloom!

Why is this show only about rugby league?. Surely the programme would have more credibility if there was comparisons to other sports included. RL / Football or RL / RU. This programme will only add to any conspiracy theories against RL from the hierarchy in the BBC and general press reporting (or lack of). Personally i cannot actually see the point of the programme, I`m sure there was`nt a clamour off the general public for a review of RL finances, so who actually commissioned the show and why? Maybe we can look forward to an expose of RU clubs soon but i won`t be holding my breath for it. It`s just cheap, lazy reporting by somebody with an agenda against RL!

As someone posted on twitter recently, we're a regional sport when its posistive, but a national sport when its negative..

Sacked off George from Twitter a while ago.

It's one segment of three news items in a half hour programme, I don't think it will be that in-depth.

Why is this show only about rugby league?. Surely the programme would have more credibility if there was comparisons to other sports included. RL / Football or RL / RU. This programme will only add to any conspiracy theories against RL from the hierarchy in the BBC and general press reporting (or lack of). Personally i cannot actually see the point of the programme, I`m sure there was`nt a clamour off the general public for a review of RL finances, so who actually commissioned the show and why? Maybe we can look forward to an expose of RU clubs soon but i won`t be holding my breath for it. It`s just cheap, lazy reporting by somebody with an agenda against RL!

Super League is big in Yorkshire. It's being shown on the Yorkshire regions (and north west I think) local news/investigational programme. I don't think it's an agenda against RL, it's a 'good' story and worthy of a look at. It's just rubbish timing for the game (but the right time for a reporter).

As long as the story is a genuine look at the game and fairly balanced, why not look into it? A few weeks ago plenty of people were haranging the press for not holding the RFL to account. Can't have it both ways. We (the game) just need to work on the positive stories.