Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

3 Feb - Championship - Round 1

Which game are you most looking forward to?   53 members have voted

1. 1. Which game are you most looking forward to?

• Batley Bulldogs v Keighley Cougars
    • Doncaster v Dewsbury Rams
    • Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Centurions
    • Hunslet Hawks v Barrow Raiders
    • Swinton Lions v Workington Town
    • Whitehaven v York City Knights

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

61 posts in this topic

The Halifax - Sheffield match was a good hit out for a first game. Sheffield were a bit underdone - no surprise really since they hadn't had a friendly to warm up with - but they showed their lovely attacking football now and again so should be great to watch again this season once they get their match fitness up to scratch.

The Halifax - Sheffield match was a good hit out for a first game. Sheffield were a bit underdone - no surprise really since they hadn't had a friendly to warm up with - but they showed their lovely attacking football now and again so should be great to watch again this season once they get their match fitness up to scratch.

You're right Sheffield were unerdone, but I thought it was a poor game. Sheffield showed odd touches of flair but far too many handling errors. Fax looked reasonably solid in defence, and one man rugby was all they had in attack. I'm sure Sheffield will getbetter with a couple of games under their belt, but will Fax look to play with a little more flair in attack? I just hope that the Fev v Leigh game on Sunday is of a better standard.

Harrison told Fax to play one out rugby due to the conditions. I dont rate Handforth or Thackray and feel Fax would have lost i it was dry ground. Murrell is vital to Fax. Same old poor defence and technique at times from Fax. I would expect Fev and Leigh to play more open rugby as they are not as forward orientated as Fax

We're also without Thackray, Morris and Acton who are all suspended.

The Widnes pre-season match counted as Morris' one match suspension that was outstanding from last season, so he's available.

Harrison told Fax to play one out rugby due to the conditions. I dont rate Handforth or Thackray and feel Fax would have lost i it was dry ground. Murrell is vital to Fax. Same old poor defence and technique at times from Fax. I would expect Fev and Leigh to play more open rugby as they are not as forward orientated as Fax

Poor defence? They only conceded 10 points against a good attacking side who like to offload at every opportunity. Thought the defence was pretty solid.

Poor defence? They only conceded 10 points against a good attacking side who like to offload at every opportunity. Thought the defence was pretty solid.

The defending from kicks was poor. Sheriffe was caught out and was nowhere for the second try and the first try was also a soft try to Sheffield. I am also of the opinion like the commentary team that at times Halifax allowed Sheffield too much room and were not stopping them or tackling them on the initial contact.

Attendance seemed low at 1553. I know Sheffield aren't exactly known for a huge travelling support, but do the Fax fans on here think that was a poor turn out for a season opener between the reigning NRC holders & GF winners?

Attendance seemed low at 1553. I know Sheffield aren't exactly known for a huge travelling support, but do the Fax fans on here think that was a poor turn out for a season opener between the reigning NRC holders & GF winners?

Thursday Night is always badly attended and add to the fact the Pubteam had a Quarter final the night before then I didnt expect more than 1500. A number of fans I know work shirts at Nestle and Marshalls whilst others live in York, Stockport etc which might have decided to watch on TV than face the trip across. I doubt many Thursday games will top 1500 crowd

Thursdays is a shocking loss maker for Championship clubs, if we must have a TV deal with no income then lets televise Sunday 6pm.

Thursdays is a shocking loss maker for Championship clubs, if we must have a TV deal with no income then lets televise Sunday 6pm.

Good idea.

Not long to wait to see how that pans out then - next Championship game being televised is Dews v Fev at 6pm on 10th.

I agree Craig but if your playing a Cumbrian team I doubt many would make the journey either way with work the following day.

I also suspect that across all clubs, especially at the lower levels, that a lot of casual fans will be put off by attending in bad weather. Even if sat under cover at this time of year, it's likely to be pretty cold and miserable. I bet even Thursday evening kick offs are more polular if we get some decent weather a bit later in the season.

I also suspect that across all clubs, especially at the lower levels, that a lot of casual fans will be put off by attending in bad weather. Even if sat under cover at this time of year, it's likely to be pretty cold and miserable. I bet even Thursday evening kick offs are more polular if we get some decent weather a bit later in the season.

Sure. Why would that be more true at lower levels?

Why would that be more true at lower levels?

More grounds without full cover. For example at Fev, it wouldn't suprise me if some fans saw it was going to rain and decided not to go because they'd get wet. I know that's illogical as they could go under cover, but not if they wanted to stand as they usually would. Full cover means fans are unlikely to move from their usual position due to the weather.

I've no concrete evidence for this, but I'd put money on the crowd for the same game being bigger on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June compared to a wet and windy Sunday in February.

I've no concrete evidence for this, but I'd put money on the crowd for the same game being bigger on a sunny Sunday afternoon in June compared to a wet and windy Sunday in February.

Yes, no argument on that. Just not sure if that applies especially to the lower divisions, rather than as a league wide thing.

Yes, no argument on that. Just not sure if that applies especially to the lower divisions, rather than as a league wide thing.

No way to prove it either way. :D;)

No way to prove it either way. :D;)

Aye ;)

Like you say, at Fev for example you can always be sitting down out of the rain for the cost of basic ground admission alone. That may not be true at all Championship clubs, but is also likely to be true only at all-seater SL stadiums.

I 'm reading some of these comments and thinking what have done to our game when as is said people won't go to watch if it' raining or too cold?

We want to consider our game as the greatest game but reading these sort of comments I wonder how soccer fans or "heaven forbid" rugby union fans manage.

If it's cold put an extra pair of soc ks and ann extra jumper on.

I 'm reading some of these comments and thinking what have done to our game when as is said people won't go to watch if it' raining or too cold?

We want to consider our game as the greatest game but reading these sort of comments I wonder how soccer fans or "heaven forbid" rugby union fans manage.

If it's cold put an extra pair of soc ks and ann extra jumper on.

I suspect the fans that behave in such a manner aren't the ones posting on the forum. ;)

There has been zero marketing from the club for this game or pretty much anything else to do with season tickets etc. They use twitter but that only hits the same fans that probably go anyway.

There has been zero marketing from the club for this game or pretty much anything else to do with season tickets etc. They use twitter but that only hits the same fans that probably go anyway.

To be fair the club has lost a massive avenue that was heavily used with the local rag gone to a weekly from a daily paper. I agree the club should do more regards marketing. As you say the people using Facebook Page and Twitter are fans anyway.

Fev had 1st team players giving out vouchers for cheaper family tickets in Pontefract today. Excellent bit of marketing for our first game. Daughter reports that they were doing brisk busines. Hope we get a massive crowd tomorrow.

Fev had 1st team players giving out vouchers for cheaper family tickets in Pontefract today. Excellent bit of marketing for our first game. Daughter reports that they were doing brisk busines. Hope we get a massive crowd tomorrow.

£20 for a family is excellent - was considering claiming another Leigh fan was my son, but getting to Ponte was a problem ;)