Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

Lincolnshire Floods 1953

12 posts in this topic

60 years ago on 31st Jan. Lincolnshire, East Anglia and large parts of the Netherlands were flooded and thousands of lives lost - over 300 in the UK

see BBC

See Pathe newsreel

see UAE footage

On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs prog that went into rugby leagues finances, there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

60 years ago on 31st Jan. Lincolnshire, East Anglia and large parts of the Netherlands were flooded and thousands of lives lost - over 300 in the UK

see BBC

See Pathe newsreel

see UAE footage

On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs prog that went into rugby leagues finances, there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

This stuff fascinates me; I'm from Canvey Island in Essex which also took a few terrible hits over the years. The sea wall there should see them ok for a while to come though.

Reference in song too -

s

On last nights TV Inside Out BBC TV Yorks and Lincs there was also 10 mins on the floods. much of it filmed at Sandilands where I now live.

So you would rather drown than go back to Lancashire?

Perfectly understandable.

;)B)

:) :)

Its not so much that as the fact that I' have to pass through Yorkshire! :lol:

'Lancashire's down that there motorway .... just follow the blue-square roadsigns ... and remember, you're not allowed to stop and ask any of the neighbouring farmers if they want to buy any lucky white heather .... keep going Sir, we've got more than enough economic migrants as it is.'

;):)

It's certainly frightening to think that the sea can move two miles inland in a single night.

I've never really fancied living next to the sea; it frightens me.

It's certainly frightening to think that the sea can move two miles inland in a single night.

Two miles?

The BBC have managed to move it much further inland than that.

The major flood risk in the UK is not from the sea, I reckon. Most floods seem to come from water courses. Live near a river? Live at the bottom of a hill? Be afraid...be very afraid.!

What caused the North Sea to swell so much it affected several countries?.......ice cap melting? Tsunami?

Nope. Low atmospheric pressure in one area and high in another. The high pressure presses down on the water so the level rises in low pressure area. Extremely high tide owing to moon phase etc. Storm force northerly winds blow the water south into a sort of funnel - (have a look at the map) and thw water level rises. Get all three at once and well, you get what you got in 1953. The Netherlands came of worse! see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_flood_of_1953