Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

History of Bradford

66 posts in this topic

What there is, is a direct line of people back to 1863. Players have come and gone, the ground has been changed and companies have gone bust but the line of people, either as players, administrators or fans is intact and the history of the game in the city is traceable.

A bit like Bucks Fizz and the Sugababes :rolleyes:

Just for clarification (to Bradford fans), mine was a genuine question and not a conduit into allowing fans of other clubs to reignite that tedious debate about how-old-is-your-club. Much less was the intention to see some dreary LUFC/MUFC nonsense.

Did any other NU club defect to soccer?

Don't think so at least in a lock stock and barrel way. Possibly Runcorn, but the exact links would need some research

Hope you don't find this suggestion dreary tedious nonsense :D

So who's ####? Is it Leeds or is it Munich?

#### is the term used by leeds for man utd dating back to the disgaceful events in 1919

How many Munich clocks are ther at Old trafford?its nice to make money out of tragedy and not do much for the victims

Tony Collins says Bradford date back to 1863 - so that will do for me.

Don't think so at least in a lock stock and barrel way. Possibly Runcorn, but the exact links would need some research

Hope you don't find this suggestion dreary tedious nonsense :D

So long as it's not so-called 'banter' about two wendyball clubs, then it's fine. ;)

As Keighley suggested, perhaps Harlepool RU is another case. Odd then that with all the promotion/recruitment and agitating that soccer obviously did in NU strongholds from about 1900 onwards that the two reasonably big clubs who switched were both from the same city.

So who's ####? Is it Leeds or is it Munich?

It's the supporters of any club who use that term for another club and believe it is acceptable to do so.

It's the supporters of any club who use that term for another club and believe it is acceptable to do so.

well the dislike goes bak to 1919 and not without good reason,and why have 4 Munch disaster clocks?

well the dislike goes bak to 1919 and not without good reason,and why have 4 Munch disaster clocks?

How many clocks would be appropriate in the eyes of Leeds United supporters?

Mmm, Munch...this thread has drifted quite a bit and I'm getting ready to scream so maybe that is appropriate.

How many clocks would be appropriate in the eyes of Leeds United supporters?

well man utd have thisholier than thou thing how about looking after the victims of the crash before they market the club on the back of a disaster I.E 4 Munich clocks so Asian tourist's can get their pics taken in front. of them?

Dodgy or what?

Asian tourist's

There's a problem with Asian tourists?

Odd then that with all the promotion/recruitment and agitating that soccer obviously did in NU strongholds from about 1900 onwards that the two reasonably big clubs who switched were both from the same city.

You may miss the relationship between NU and soccer in the old days.

In the old days players were often good at both and were interchangeable.

In really old games association clubs would play rugby clubs at a half each of each game.

The fans were also just as liable to go watch the soccer as the NU.

NU clubs allowed big promo soccer games on their own grounds

Switching was rather easy - you just took a vote.

There was no entrenched culture for one game or the other

It may be when one switched in Bradford it got the others thinking - should we have done that?

Get thissen in t'Library and thy can read it as it happened.....

In really old games association clubs would play rugby clubs at a half each of each game.

It may be when one switched in Bradford it got the others thinking - should we have done that?

In your desire to educate me, you've missed my point. Im well aware of how things were, having read the same books as you. My point was rather, why, given the circumstances, only two clubs, coincidentally(?) from the same city, chose to switch.

In your desire to educate me, you've missed my point. Im well aware of how things were, having read the same books as you. My point was rather, why, given the circumstances, only two clubs, coincidentally(?) from the same city, chose to switch.

I have no desire to educate you at all and I didn't read it in any books I read it from source. I read it in the newspapers of the day, and I think you missed my point. Switching was easy, the prospects in soccer better and IMHO when one went over successfully their rivals looked at the situation just across the city and thought - we'll have a go. But don't let me patronise you, as I say you can go read the same source material Delaney or Collins read and make your own mind up, you may come to a far more reasonable and accurate conclusion than me, and you won't have to go round asking others..

Didn't a soccer club try to sign Jim Sullivan from Wigan - I'm sure I read that somewhere.

BTW weren't Blackheath RU founder members of the FA?

Didn't a soccer club try to sign Jim Sullivan from Wigan - I'm sure I read that somewhere.

They were. I used to know which other now RFU teams were FA in the early days. I'm sure Barnes FC (Inverdale is/was President) was.

It's pretty imposible to say, so many years on, though from what I've read of the Park Avenue/ Northern split, the soocer side of the incident seemed to be influenced strongly by the argument that soccer would draw in more more supporters and therefore more money.

I think Tony Fattorini, whose firm made the Challenge Cup and the FA Cup, was instrumental in Bradford switching to soccer. So clearly the switchers had a lot of clout. There were also people who voted to rejoin the RFU (sorry if someone's already said that)

Padge will tell you definitively I'll bet.

Hunslet tried to sign Jackie Milburn in the 1950's, when he fell out with his soccer club, it was a serious offer but they 99.9% knew he would not come.

You'll remember powderhall sprinters being chased too.

Today sportspeople don't switch readily even between the Rugby Codes in the early days they did.

I have no desire to educate you at all and I didn't read it in any books I read it from source. I read it in the newspapers of the day, and I think you missed my point. Switching was easy, the prospects in soccer better and IMHO when one went over successfully their rivals looked at the situation just across the city and thought - we'll have a go. But don't let me patronise you, as I say you can go read the same source material Delaney or Collins read and make your own mind up, you may come to a far more reasonable and accurate conclusion than me, and you won't have to go round asking others..

I think you've let a bit of willy waving get in the way of your posting.

I think you've let a bit of willy waving get in the way of your posting.

I think you have been graceless and rude.

I think Tony Fattorini, whose firm made the Challenge Cup and the FA Cup, was instrumental in Bradford switching to soccer. So clearly the switchers had a lot of clout. There were also people who voted to rejoin the RFU (sorry if someone's already said that)

A cut and paste....

"The creation of Bradford City led to demands for association football at Park Avenue too. The ground had already hosted some football matches including one in the 1880s between Blackburn Rovers and Blackburn Olympic F.C.. In 1895, a Bradford side had beaten a team from Moss Side, Manchester, by 4–1 in front of 3,000 spectators. With becoming successful at Bradford City, a meeting was called of the Bradford FC members on April 15, 1907 to decide the rugby club's future. An initial vote appeared to favour continuing in the Northern Union, but then opinion shifted towards rugby union and the Chairman, Mr Briggs, used his influence to swing the committee behind the proposed move to association football. This act, sometimes referred to as "The Great Betrayal", led to Bradford FC becoming the Bradford Park Avenue association football club. The minority faction decided to split and form a new Northern Union club, appropriately called Bradford Northern, which applied for and was granted Bradford FC's place in the Northern Union for the 1907–08 season. Bradford Northern's first home ground was the Greenfield Athletic stadium in Dudley Hill, to the south of the city. They based themselves at the Greenfield Hotel."

Every last scrap of info to answer any historical question is out there and available to us all not just the professors....

I think you have been graceless and rude.

I think you better get down off your high horse.

No rudeness was intended. Looking back through the thread I asked why switching from established NU clubs to soccer took place only (it appears) in Bradford. You then seemed (to me, I may be wrong) to justify more how such a switch could take place (which to my mind was given and needed no justification) without addressing the issue of why it happened only in Bradford and not elsewhere. Hence my comment about you missing the point. My mild accusation of pedantry/patronisation stands.

They were. I used to know which other now RFU teams were FA in the early days. I'm sure Barnes FC (Inverdale is/was President) was.

To quote myself: Barnes were indeed founder members and competed in the FA Cup until the 1880s. They currently play in the National 3 in the rugby union pyramid.

I think I remember reading that Billy Batten was offered deals by soccer clubs too, But could be mistaken there.