Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manx RL

Brian Barwick New RFL Chairman

89 posts in this topic

Brian Barwick will take up the position as non-Executive Chairman on Friday (February 1) and brings a wealth of experience in sport and broadcasting to the role, having held a number of senior positions including, Chief Executive of the Football Association, Controller of Sport at ITV and a number of key roles within the BBC, including Head of Television Sport.

That's got to be a point in his favour

bit of a "old fart" though

a good point....being at the FA no doubt he'll see the value of the "england brand"....and less likely to revert back to GB

Tish and piff to your lukewarm reactions.

This is a major appointment of a top name in British sporting administration. I can't imagine we could have found anybody better.

".......brings a wealth of experience in sport and broadcasting to the role, having held a number of senior positions including. .....Controller of Sport at ITV and a number of key roles within the BBC, including Head of Television Sport"

Hopefully RL can make use of his experience and contacts in this area to raise the profile of our sport in the media

Seem to think he was well thought of in his previous jobs.

Think he was one of the few at the FA during Sven's time.

bit of a "old fart" though

He's from Liverpool, and will be attuned to the working class culture of TGG.

Seems like a pretty good appointment, with some decent experience within sport. Chief exec of the FA is no walk in the park.. and he has some pretty handy TV connections.. can only be good surely?..

Have to admit to being a bit surprised its someone so high profile.. seemed like a friendy enough bloke on the video also.

More good things coming out of the RFL..

This seems to be a very powerful and positive appointment - frankly,it would be difficult to think of someone more suitable.

No problem with a soccer man getting it but I'll reserve judgement on this. His time at the FA was, like most people's time at the FA, a debacle and if couldn't bring the county association blazers together there I'm not sure how he'll fare in our BARLA/NCL/RFL/SL waters here.

Asolutely delighted to have him as Chairman of the RFL. If he can't open up doors for us as regards sponsorship etc no one can.

i nearly fell off my chair when i saw the thread title.. its not just a good appointment IMO its a fantastic one.. he helped re shape the FA from a bumbling mess to a much better thought of and prepared set up and he seems to have his fingers on the pulse and in a few pies that can only help us with the tv..

great appointment lets hope he is given the resourse in both money and man power to make this all work.. if he doesnt then i think you need to look deeper into the RFL to find out why.

I dunno much about him but hope he does really well. And, importantly, is given time.

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

I have read he was influencial in giving the England job to Steve McLaren; if only we had our own England head coach called Steve Mc who was a popular choice...

he helped re shape the FA from a bumbling mess to a much better thought of and prepared set up

The FA has just been publicly rebuked by MPs (pot, kettle, black etc) for its failure to exercise proper leadership.

I'm sure Barwick is a lovely man and could be a very good appointment but the one thing he did not do was save the FA.

Even though the Liverpool Daily Post blog site seems to be broken, a quick snoop around suggests Barwick is good friends with Barry Hearn, the darts/snooker/table tennis bloke.

Barry Hearn, the darts/snooker/table tennis bloke.

That's it. The Mayans were right.

Very interesting! A man with plenty of useful connections, too.

The FA has just been publicly rebuked by MPs (pot, kettle, black etc) for its failure to exercise proper leadership.

I'm sure Barwick is a lovely man and could be a very good appointment but the one thing he did not do was save the FA.

When do you mean by 'just'? According to Wiki anyway, Barwick left the FA in 2008. So maybe it's all gone downhill since he left rather than gone downhill as a result of him being there?

Personally I've never heard of him as I have no interest at all in soccer but I like the sound of his media contacts. I think the media side will be an important aspect of his role given our dire exposure.

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

It says Non-Executive Chairman, whatever that means, replacing Maurice Watkins.

I didnt say he saved it but he did turn it around.. the leadership issue is about the link between the FA, the Premier League and the Football League and how the managment needs to be structured... its also baout the people now there (Barwick left in 2008).. Barwick set up the national acadmeny centre (or whatever it is called) in Burton and was instrumental in the changing strucutre of the national teams at age group level and on the womens side IIRC..

He really picked it up (save the Maclaren era) and moved it forward, the issues now i wouldnt say were of his making but i do take your point..

I think for me when you look at the FA it has so many things to deal with it must be hard to deal with them all, i think with the RFL he can really get his teeth stuck into a couple of things and make a massive difference.