Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manx RL

Brian Barwick New RFL Chairman

89 posts in this topic

I see that it is a part time appointment but it sounds like a full time job. Is he a replacement for Lewis or is that Woods ?

I'm more concerned as to what his role is and what his responsibilities are as "Non Executive Chairman"?

But one thing that grabs my attention is that been from a footballing background he will already no the importance of promotion and relegation.

Right RLW, get him in the next available issue. Guest Room special maybe?

I think this is a very positive appointment, he has extensive experience in both media and sports administration, is well connected and knows how to negotiate must all be big pluses for the position.

Farce, shambles, disgrace. I blame the RFL! :lol: :lol:

I'm more concerned as to what his role is and what his responsibilities are as "Non Executive Chairman"?

But one thing that grabs my attention is that been from a footballing background he will already no the importance of promotion and relegation.

He might be old but he is not stupid, so I think he won't be farting the in general direction of restoration of the monasteries liquidators friend that is P and R.

He might be old but he is not stupid, so I think he won't be farting the in general direction of restoration of the monasteries liquidators friend that is P and R.

:lol:

Nicely off topic already, setting the ball up nicely for those who believe licencing hasn't done anything to improve the situation either.

However back on topic. Barwick has done a lot for grass roots football, so the least he could do is try and review the debacle that is youth development and give clubs developing young kids a set of standards to aim for like the FA charter status and minimum level 1 coaching and welfare officers in clubs.

Pretty sure he started as a journalist at the local Barrow paper so he will be well aware of rugby league

Question, where does he sit in the order of things? i.e. above Nigel Wood or under him (oo-er).

Just to be clear, a non-executive chairman is independent of an organisation and not involved in the running of it. Their job is just to ensure the functioning of the board of directors, including setting its agenda and its relationship with the executive level. In this model the chief executive is responsible for all functions involved in running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies.

This is different to Richard Lewis' time, who as an executive chairman combined those board functions with an executive position in which he could develop strategies while his chief executive was responsible for the running of the organisation.

So in effect, it seems Nigel Wood is still god.

Just to be clear, a non-executive chairman is independent of an organisation and not involved in the running of it. Their job is just to ensure the functioning of the board of directors, including setting its agenda and its relationship with the executive level. In this model the chief executive is responsible for all functions involved in running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies.

This is different to Richard Lewis' time, who as an executive chairman combined those board functions with an executive position in which he could develop strategies while his chief executive was responsible for the running of the organisation.

Oh.

:unsure:

It wasn't that clear.

I read that as "his position is not one in which he'll be responsible for running the organisation, including setting and developing strategies"..........oh well, that's my initial enthusiasm punctured then.......

Guest Room special maybe?

Yes.

We need to know who he thinks would win between a lion and a shark.

Yes.

I saw a dog beat a shark once on youtube.

Barwick is an excellent appointment. Really pleased with it.

He is to replace Lewis who was senior to Nigel Wood.

It would be a laugh trying to see Wood and Barwick trying to sit next to one another in economy seats.

Barwick brings a lot of sporting and broadcasting experience with him.

I've mentioned his name on threads earlier about who should replace Lewis.

Always thought he would be an ideal candidate, now he's been appointed.

Made up!

Yes.

One would assume home advantage would be the decider of that encounter.

One would assume home advantage would be the decider of that encounter.

The RFL directive on the kit and the choice of Steeden/Rhino ball could also be significant?

Yes.

surely Mobyclaw or Clawfin.. thats the important questions!

The RFL directive on the kit and the choice of Steeden/Rhino ball could also be significant?

surely there is no kit clash (although to be fair this is the RFL so god knows!) and if you give a lion a Rhino the Shark is surely ######ed!

:lol:

Nicely off topic already, setting the ball up nicely for those who believe licencing hasn't done anything to improve the situation either.

However back on topic. Barwick has done a lot for grass roots football, so the least he could do is try and review the debacle that is youth development and give clubs developing young kids a set of standards to aim for like the FA charter status and minimum level 1 coaching and welfare officers in clubs.

Not me guv. It was Blackpool Hawk who brought in Time Team. see post #31.

Barwick is an excellent appointment. Really pleased with it.

He is to replace Lewis who was senior to Nigel Wood.

It would be a laugh trying to see Wood and Barwick trying to sit next to one another in economy seats.

Barwick brings a lot of sporting and broadcasting experience with him.

I've mentioned his name on threads earlier about who should replace Lewis.

Always thought he would be an ideal candidate, now he's been appointed.

Made up!

Nigel Woods has his own executive jet - a C5A(it's the only thing he'll fit in). On a more serious note, the RFL seems at last to be getting it's act together. Good appointment.

There wouldn't be too many more candidates out there with better connections than Barwick - either from his time at the FA or within broadcasting. I think it's a quality appointment of a very high profile figure within sports administration.

Just to be clear, here is the job ad...

http://appointments.thesundaytimes.co.uk/job/423236/independent-non-executive-chairman

Good appointment IMO. Especially if he can pull some strings and get an increased RL profile on terrestrial TV.

Fingers crossed he can run the game in the best interest of Rugby League as a whole and not just pander to certain Executives/Chairmen as happens at the moment.