Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobbygobbler

Worrying SL score margins

218 posts in this topic

I am getting worried about all the draws we keep having in Superleague.

Don't worry, its just a figment of your imagination, close games never ever happen in SL, That's a Lobby fact.

:lol: This thread gets funnier each week, I wonder if Lobby would care to respond to the scores form the past few weeks.

:lol: This thread gets funnier each week, I wonder if Lobby would care to respond to the scores form the past few weeks.

Of course - lets see where we are after round ten.

Note that the margin comparison is with the game pre-SL (and pre the 10m and joke "scrums" we have now).

As I said, in a fully pro game we ought to have closer score margins than when RL was part time

I am getting worried about all the draws we keep having in Superleague.

Were these blow out draws? :)

As I said, in a fully pro game we ought to have closer score margins than when RL was part time

Why?. All teams were amateur, all teams are now pro, the margins shouldn't change just because players are full time.

Note that the margin comparison is with the game pre-SL (and pre the 10m and joke "scrums" we have now).

you have been shown time and time again that blow outs have always happened, why will you not accept this as fact when its there for all to see in the history books?

I agree about joke scrums though. Many's the time at Station Road in the last century when scrums were taken so seriously that teams would spend hours perfecting their scrums....during the game.

I agree about joke scrums though. Many's the time at Station Road in the last century when scrums were taken so seriously that teams would spend hours perfecting their scrums....during the game.

They did serve a useful purpose though, you could go to the bar or bog whilst they went through the resets and then the final penalty decision without missing any action.

They did serve a useful purpose though, you could go to the bar or bog whilst they went through the resets and then the final penalty decision without missing any action.

A bit like falling asleep before kick off in a Union game and not missing any action then?

So round one has some high scores, we can comment straight away.

Rounds two to four have close scores, we should wait until round ten.

Can you not see why people are ridiculing you for how you choose to criticise?!

well you were prepared to see where we are after round one.

if you want tro see joke scrums, chck out the so called competitiv ones of yore.

Does the altogether closer NRL have the 5m rule, semi professional players and proper scrummaging?

Does the altogether closer NRL have the 5m rule, semi professional players and proper scrummaging?

No - that is why it is #### (regarding point 1and point 3). I really dont enjoy watching NRL, and never watched it before I finally got shut of premier sports last year

You don't enjoy watching anything that isn't a dour game in a mud bath in winter do you

Ha, the hypocrisy of this post.

So if the margin comparison was with the game pre-SL, why did you post it after 2 games this season and then state,?

With all SL clubs supposedly on a level pegging we should be seeing games becoming closer with very few large margins. In fact it is going the other way.

This has nothing to do with the game pre-SL, it is completely about the here and now. The title proves it also, 'worrying SL scorelines.' If we're talking about scorelines that we've had for nearly 20 years then they are hardly worrying.

You are in fact making an absurd statement based on two games that the margins are getting further apart. In fact saying, 'let's wait until there have been 10 rounds,' proves that you were suggesting that the margins are getting bigger as you think that they still will get further apart.

God you gotta hate statistics eh? Well not me, I love them!

Let's compare the average margin between this year and last year.

2013 Week 1, 25.7 points per game.

2012 Week 1, 12.3 points per game.

Here's where Lobby stepped in. First week and there were some big scorelines. However, many of us at this stage pointed out it was pointless because one of those blowouts was an incredible shock result - Huddersfield at Saints.

2013 Week 2, 15.42 points per game.

2012 Week 2, 27 points per game.

As you can see, big turnaround as week 2 was really bad for scorelines last year with this year being not so bad.

2013 Week 3 (so far), 12 points per game.

2012 Week 3, 14 points per game.

We have 4 games remaining but all games are 8 points or less on the handicap meaning blowouts are unlikely.

Season so far,

2013 18.67 points per game.

2012 17.47 points per game.

As you can see, drawing conclusions from such a small collection of games was rather silly. Things are looking like they are more than evening themselves out.

I don't have the time or the inclination to look at the average points per game over the last few seasons but Neil Barraclough did an analysis of the Super League playoffs winning margins; where you would expect the winning margins to be somewhat tighter.

When we had a top 5 playoff from 98-01, the average winning margin was 16.58.

When we had a top 6 playoff from 02-08, the average winning margin was 15.29.

Since we have had a top 8 playoff, the average winning margin has been 18.32.

So it looks like the average margin between games is usually around 15-18 points. At the end of today, our average could easily be between these 2 figures for the regular season. Doesn't look like anything to worry about at this early stage.

Edit: adjusted for Wigan-Hudds game.

Update

Round 3 2012 - 14 points per game

Round 3 2013 - 18.57 points per game

Round 4 2012 - 19.71 points per game

Round 4 2013 - 12.67 points per game

Overall so far 2012 - 18.08 (26 games)

Overall so far 2013 - 18.30 (27 games)

So this "widening" gap is now a massive 0.22 points per game after round 4.

Update

Round 3 2012 - 14 points per game

Round 3 2013 - 18.57 points per game

Round 4 2012 - 19.71 points per game

Round 4 2013 - 12.67 points per game

Overall so far 2012 - 18.08 (26 games)

Overall so far 2013 - 18.30 (27 games)

So this "widening" gap is now a massive 0.22 points per game after round 4.

I dont care about last year! You introduced this comparison. As far as I am concerned the margins have been too wide for years. It was shown by other people in other threads that average score margins were much lower under the 5m rule and real scrums. So effectively we've tinkered with the rules and made games lessclose despite now being fully pro. This is not progressive. We need to look at ways to make closer games.

RL matches should ideally be closer for a fan

I dont care about last year! You introduced this comparison. As far as I am concerned the margins have been too wide for years. It was shown by other people in other threads that average score margins were much lower under the 5m rule and real scrums. So effectively we've tinkered with the rules and made games lessclose despite now being fully pro. This is not progressive. We need to look at ways to make closer games.

RL matches should ideally be closer for a fan

Not you didn't, you're just lying now and trying to backtrack your way out of it by focussing it on a wider point.

Read my previous point, you talked specifically about a worrying, widening gap after 2 games of the season.

Classic Lobby: states something as fact, is presented with facts that contradict his argument and then claims he doesn't care about facts.

Classic Lobby: states something as fact, is presented with facts that contradict his argument and then claims he doesn't care about facts.

Facts? Maximus's comparison still shows a small widening does it not. Over a ten year cumulative spell that would be significant.

My guess is that the average SL score margin will be larger this year anyhow and we'll see more blowouts

Facts? Maximus's comparison still shows a small widening does it not. Over a ten year cumulative spell that would be significant.

My guess is that the average SL score margin will be larger this year anyhow and we'll see more blowouts

I really hope someone has the time to compare with scores from 2003 then, I suspect it wouldn't be that significant.

It's incredible how you can contradict yourself.

One minute you're trying to make out that you never said scorelines were increasing even though you did, the next you are arguing about how scorelines are increasing again.

0.22 over 4 rounds of Super League does not represent a widening. It might not only be 2 games like your last sample but it isn't nearly enough. It in fact represents a total of less than 6 points, or 1 converted try overall. Can you not see that it has lowered week by week?

In fact it is over 27 games where there were only 26 games by this stage last year. If we calculate it based on the last 26 games of SL, the average is in fact 17.85 and 0.23 lower.

Come back when you actually have a point, not something based on a 2 game whim that you wrongly thought backed up your own ill-conceived theories.

I really hope someone has the time to compare with scores from 2003 then, I suspect it wouldn't be that significant.

Maybe not but they are if you go back to 1983 - our sport should have closer games than in 1983 really because what fans want is closer games as well as to be entertained. I would argue that the former dominates the latter

Maybe not but they are if you go back to 1983 - our sport should have closer games than in 1983 really because what fans want is closer games as well as to be entertained. I would argue that the former dominates the latter

You said 10 years in your post, not 30.

You said 10 years in your post, not 30.

Where did I say to go back 10 years? All I said was that small increases from now on over 10 years = bigger increase

Where did I say to go back 10 years? All I said was that small increases from now on over 10 years = bigger increase

But we can't go back to 2003...? What kind of weird logic is this?