Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobbygobbler

Worrying SL score margins

218 posts in this topic

Less than 24 hours into the new season and we have this old chestnut again. No wonder our game struggles to market itself when its own fans do it down at every opportunity. In this case, the opportunity didn't even exist and had to be contrived.

With more respect than the post deserves, in union a side which is tiring gets plenty of time for rest and recuperation; in league they don't. As they tire, they have to make more and more tackles, so they get more and more tired. It's a vicious circle and it's hard to break out of. In union, they only have to wait a minute or two for the next scrum, lineout or ruck and they can all have a breather for a minute or so. That's one reason why union is so boring.

Thats a very good summation on Union, like it a lot. Last night's match; well, I too thought that for threequarters of the match it was exactly that, until the dropped ball that resulted in leeds getting a scrum in the second half, I also thought that Hull were even beginning to look the better side and looked the team most likely to score for most of that first twenty minutes of the second half.

But once the stalemate was broken, Hull like so many times last year went totally out of it and could no longer cope.

Which is why I thought that Tony XIIIs description of a very distinct difference between onion and League was a very accurate one indeed.

Given that we're discussing the relative closeness and interest of Super League and the 6N can this be moved to Cross-Code where it belongs.

Maybe here:

RECY0057.gif

Well we've had two opening SL games, both of which were high score margins. This is not good for RL.

We'll probably see close score margins in the Six Nations to make matters worse. People will forgive the fact that the games will be boring.

Is it time to start looking at ways of making scores closer e.g. by reducing to 10m rule? Even if it is at the cost of a more open game...

You need to get out in the Sun, it works wonders.

You thought the Leeds/Hull game last night was a borefest? It was the best standard for an opening game of the season that I have seen in some time. Yes, Leeds won by 30 in the end, but the game was in the balance for 3/4 of it. I was thoroughly entertained, and I know you can say that is easy to say being a Leeds fan, but even at 6-6 I was thinking how good of a contest it had been.

Excellent summary. If you had been there you have seen it was not a blow out. Neither side looked as rusty as in past first games. Things can look different on the Tele.

All i would add to the above is that Hull appeared to me to be on top in the third quarter.

Cracking entertainment.

Maybe here:

RECY0057.gif

I was being kind.

Lobby's ultimate goal is the 'reunification' of league and union so he can watch Leigh grind out 3-0 wins in the mud against Old Boggerations.

Bit early. Groundhog Day is February 2nd, not the1st.

Not long now till the 'cancelling sky' thread...........

I was being kind.

Lobby's ultimate goal is the 'reunification' of league and union so he can watch Leigh grind out 3-0 wins in the mud against Old Boggerations.

I'd personally prefer to watch a 3-0 game of RL than a 56-26 game.

I've seen some very good low scoring games in days gone by. A 0-0 Hull v Fax game springs to mind.....

We can definitely extrapolate the whole season from last nights two fixtures. I think they should just call it a day now, we can make up the rest in our heads.

Well, whoever said there could be close scores in the 6 Nations is a bit wide of the mark in the first game of the comp so far anyway.

so 1 penalty and a drop goal then . fair enough that could either be exciting or boring but i wouldnt want to see that scoreline every week

Well we've had two opening SL games, both of which were high score margins. This is not good for RL.

We'll probably see close score margins in the Six Nations to make matters worse. People will forgive the fact that the games will be boring.

Is it time to start looking at ways of making scores closer e.g. by reducing to 10m rule? Even if it is at the cost of a more open game...

If you're using the two games so far, then the obvious solution is to end the second half after 60 minutes.

If you're using the two games so far, then the obvious solution is to end the second half after 60 minutes.

but the second half only lasts 40 mins . mind you extending it to 60 mins could be interesting

I've seen some very good low scoring games in days gone by. A 0-0 Hull v Fax game springs to mind.....

As I never tire of saying, one of the best games I ever saw finished 0-0. One of the worst I ever saw finished 7-0.

In the summer at amateur level I've seen some very exciting games that have finished with scores like 42-40.

but the second half only lasts 40 mins . mind you extending it to 60 mins could be interesting

Oh balls. Then I meant 20 minutes!

Oh balls. Then I meant 20 minutes!

But 20 minutes into the game it's still the first half!

These blow out scores are doing nothing for interest in the game.

I mean it's 22-0 at half time today!

Don't watch union games, what was the final scores in Cardiff and London, I hope they're close!! Otherwise bring back the birch and flog them all.

Oh dear, what a load of tripe. Get a grip. what do you want to see? the ref blowing up when one team gets 20pts in front. :rolleyes:

36-0 to Huddersfield so far. lets take 2 Huddersfield players off now and then it might be 36-30 at full time, would that please you???

Anyone who ever thought the Wigan and Salford game would produce anything other than a big margin given the off season Salford have had must be short of a brain. It was a given that Wigan would get a boost to their points difference. Hull were a let down though but maybe not all that unexpected given that they were largely a 60 minute team last season as well. However, two games does not a season make.

saints are an even bigger let down, not even a 1 minute team at the moment. shocking!

Starting to think Lobby has a point, it's a worrying sign for us all when the smaller clubs like Saints can't even compete at home.

Starting to think Lobby has a point, it's a worrying sign for us all when the smaller clubs like Saints can't even compete at home.

If we had P&R, rubbish teams like Saints would have been relegated and we wouldn't have these scorelines. Oh wait...

well saints played there part . they at least refused to score many points for which we should give them a big cheer

I've watched 5 games of rugby (3 league, 2 union) on TV in the last 3 days and have ENJOYED every single game. Maybe I'm too easily pleased.