Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my missus

DANNY BAKERS GREAT ALBUM SHOWDOWN

61 posts in this topic

oops i thought i was on aob.

Not your fault, it's the new forum change.

anyway it was a decent enough show and they picked 12 top albums including dark side, rumours, physical graffiti,and transformers, to name just 4

Had me cheering from the couch when he held up albums I own, Zappa, King Crimson, Joni Mitchell, Zep, Floyd.

i also learned something new one of our posters on here l'angelo mysterioso takes his name from a certain george harrison who used that name on an album he produced.

he is an egomaniacal self important ######

Met him have you?

:blink: is that why you share the pseudonym? :unsure:

i also learned something new one of our posters on here l'angelo mysterioso takes his name from a certain george harrison who used that name on an album he produced.

he played on 'Badge' as well

:blink: is that why you share the pseudonym? :unsure:

good one

I was referring to Baker, but you knew that :dry:

I thought he was on the dole or something after his hissy fit on the radio?

Nope. He had a job on Five Live before and after that.

If you'd read/heard the broadcast his actual criticism was of the pinheaded weasels who have set about turning Radio London into a generic phone-in local station.

good one

I was referring to Baker, but you knew that :dry:

:D

I didn't. Honest guv.

A lot of his earnings come from writing jobs - creating scripts and gags for other, more famous stars.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable hour's TV. And no pointy-headed rhapsodising about how they love the clicks and pops of a badly-cared-for record, which is what you usually get in any discussion of the joys of vinyl.

Tonight's programme will focus on Pop, while Thursday's will be about Soul Music.

So, if you were on the programme, which three rock albums would you put on the wall of fame? No sneering, no judgement, no one-upmanship, just three which always satisfy, whenever you revisit them. Here's mine:

• Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
  • David Bowie - Hunky Dory
  • The Band - The Last Waltz

Only three, though - that's even tougher than 'Desert Island Discs'!

while Thursday's will be about Soul Music.

I've a fiver on the quote "when R&B actually meant rhythm and blues, unlike today's supposed 'R&B'..."

I've a fiver on the quote "when R&B actually meant rhythm and blues, unlike today's supposed 'R&B'..."

Clarkson was only a guest on the first programme, you know... ;)

It might be interesting to see the selections, as the majority of soul music was single-based, rather than album-based, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder excepted.

Nope. He had a job on Five Live before and after that.

If you'd read/heard the broadcast his actual criticism was of the pinheaded weasels who have set about turning Radio London into a generic phone-in local station.

I can't get Radio London (well, I can online) so why do I get to hear about it? I didn't hear him kicking off about the chance of RL being cut from our local radio...perhaps he's more important what with having famous mates and all that.

Clarkson was only a guest on the first programme, you know... ;)
The Stig tonight.

So, if you were on the programme, which three rock albums would you put on the wall of fame? No sneering, no judgement, no one-upmanship, just three which always satisfy, whenever you revisit them. Here's mine:

• Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes
  • David Bowie - Hunky Dory
  • The Band - The Last Waltz

Only three, though - that's even tougher than 'Desert Island Discs'!

I love the last 2 above, but would not place Tom Petty so high.

My 3 as of this morning? George Ivan "Van The Man" Morrison's Astral Weeks - "rock" (although he hated the term) music's equivalent to William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience; The Velvet Underground & Nico; Patti Smith's Horses.

I love the last 2 above, but would not place Tom Petty so high.

My 3 as of this morning? George Ivan "Van The Man" Morrison's Astral Weeks - "rock" (although he hated the term) music's equivalent to William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience; The Velvet Underground & Nico; Patti Smith's Horses.

It was one of the very first LPs I ever owned, so it has a particular place in my affections. As well as being brilliant.

Likewise, 'Hunky Dory' was the first Bowie album I heard, so that's special, even though I would probably admit that 'Ziggy Stardust' is a stronger collection of songs overall.

I can't get Radio London (well, I can online) so why do I get to hear about it? I didn't hear him kicking off about the chance of RL being cut from our local radio...perhaps he's more important what with having famous mates and all that.

Well you could have read about it (as gingerjon also said) in anywhere that covers national news. I know it wasn't a national station, but it was a national story.

To be fair it was a damnation of the whole station and how people running BBC local radio don't have a clue what "local" is. I have a few mates who work in local radio (non-famous for the record) and it was pretty on the money. Him having famous mates has nothing to do with that.

Well you could have read about it (as gingerjon also said) in anywhere that covers national news. To be fair it was a damnation of the whole station and how people running BBC local radio don't have a clue what "local" is. I have a few mates who work in local radio (non-famous for the record) and it was pretty on the money. Him having famous mates has nothing to do with that.

Of course him having famous mates is everything to do with it - they were the ones putting it out all over twitter (and gingerjon ;) )

Guy gets threatened with losing his job.....happens to people everyday. We don't all have the luxury of ranting about it on the radio to show how indispensable we are.