Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Is your MP a relic from the 1950s?

87 posts in this topic

Many blokes would love to be married to a Frenchwoman. If you can't understand their language they can't come out with the English Wife's constant refrains that "You never listen to me. You never hear a word that I say. I might as well talk to the wall."

Many blokes would love to be married to a Frenchwoman.

Those late night films Channel 4 used to show have a lot to answer for.

This thread could go anywhere.

It'll unravel your jumper.

Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper...

*jaw drops*

And they can now get on with their lives in the same fuss-free way.

It's regular 'guys and guys and girls and girls' though. That's what marks them out.

Most of them have never been marked out though. I find it irritating and just plain wrong to portray things like up until 10-20 years ago, gays were living a life of fear constantly being harangued by mobs of cavemen armed with pitchforks. (I'm sure that has happened sometimes)

There were gay couples living together long before now and most people knew who they were. Even homophobic people tended to leave them alone content to call names or make limp wrist gestures. That's not to imply there wasn't a lot of discrimination and grief put their way - but then many other people suffered too in various ways. But ultimately no one really gave a toss that much, as long as they were ok people that was enough for most people.

It wasn't quite the stone age it is often portrayed as.

What happened before if an ostensibly heterosexual couple wanted to marry and one of them was transgenderised? Did the surgically-modified partner have to prove they were a bodily-functional man or woman?

What happened before if an ostensibly heterosexual couple wanted to marry and one of them was transgenderised? Did the surgically-modified partner have to prove they were a bodily-functional man or woman?

Yes, because that was happening all the time :rolleyes:

I can believe it, down where you live.

:D

He keeps asking these strange questions 'for a friend'. If it's not wanting to know if he can now show his face in public without fearing of prosecution for a 'civil offence' it's wanting to know if he can marry his ladyboy with no questions asked ...

He keeps asking these strange questions 'for a friend'.

Rubbish. I haven't got any left since they found out I was in contact with Southerners and God-Botherers.

:D

If they choose the invitations and flowers they are classed as a woman for this purpose. :)

I agree with Sev on this. This is a great result. In addition to addressing the main issue, if it drives the small-minded homophobic, xenophobic, Europhobic rabid right into the oblivion that is UKIP, so much the better for all of us come election time. By this one single action, Cameron has significantly boosted his re-election chances.

Milliband never voted against it either so has it boosted his election chances ?

I see your point but no. He hasn't got any. The Tories without the rabid right have more centrist appeal. Not in Donny of course.

My local MP voted against, however in her defence on her website and twitter account she maintains that the overwhelming majority of contact from constituents on the matter was against. Her figures are over 500 to 33, so I suppose she was reflecting the will of her constituents.

Democracy or some such nonsense.

MPs are not elected to reflect the will of their constituents. They are representatives, not delegates.

MPs are not elected to reflect the will of their constituents. They are representatives, not delegates.

True. They're unlikely to have a long career if they consistently go against the wishes of their constituents however.

True. They're unlikely to have a long career if they consistently go against the wishes of their constituents however.

Actually, as many MPs are elected by fewer than 50% of their constituents they, arguably, go against the wishes of their wishes on a regular basis. Indeed, just turning up at the Commons and taking their seat is against the wishes of the largest part of their constituents.

Actually, as many MPs are elected by fewer than 50% of their constituents they, arguably, go against the wishes of their wishes on a regular basis. Indeed, just turning up at the Commons and taking their seat is against the wishes of the largest part of their constituents.

Fair point. That kind of assumes however that those not voting are not doing so purely out of apathy, rather than to register a political viewpoint. ;)

Sarah Teather's revelation that she's a conservative Catholic at heart was a bit of a surprise.

I understand that, even as she voted against it, her constituency website was still proclaiming her support for the Bill.

You couldn't ask for a better example of Lib Dem thinking.

I understand that, even as she voted against it, her constituency website was still proclaiming her support for the Bill.

You couldn't ask for a better example of Lib Dem thinking.

She just ignored her constituents in line with the delegating duties you mentioned before.