Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Boy

Tom Briscoe going to Cronulla

30 posts in this topic

Good luck to him if he goes.

I expect he will go well and enjoy changing the docks of Hull for the surf beaches of the Shire!

Would be nice to see more of our backs in the NRL.....,they clearly rate our forwards but backs not so much these days....

With Tomkins potentially going over in the next couple of years, we really will have 2/3rds of a potential England team playing in the NRL..

It'll be interesting to see how he performs this season nevermind next, Eastmond creeps into mind.

With Tomkins potentially going over in the next couple of years, we really will have 2/3rds of a potential England team playing in the NRL..

So we get to watch the "second string" in Super League!

Time we did something about raising the SC I think - I want to see Briscoe, Tomkins etc playing here every week - not in Aus! :(

Time we did something about raising the SC I think - I want to see Briscoe, Tomkins etc playing here every week - not in Aus! :(

While completely agreeing with you, it is interesting how being directly affected hardens opinions. Once every team has lost a top player or 2, perhaps we'll get a consensus to increase it, or have a marquee player exemption...

I say let the aussies pay our better players (keeping them in RL) and we develop new English/British players increasing our International player pool. Win win in my opinion.

He's chosen a fin time to join the Sharks. :unsure:

Very good ;):D

He's chosen a fin time to join the Sharks. :unsure:

I thought he was already at the Sharks...

(It's ok for me to say it!)

Do football fans in the Czech Republic stop going due to their league having inferior players to the EP/La Liga etc?

No. Enjoy the games regardless of who is playing for the teams and be glad in the knowledge that our boys are mixing it in the NRl thus improving the national sides chances

Do football fans in the Czech Republic stop going due to their league having inferior players to the EP/La Liga etc?

No. Enjoy the games regardless of who is playing for the teams and be glad in the knowledge that our boys are mixing it in the NRl thus improving the national sides chances

Would teams in the Czech Republic receive more attention if they not only contained their own world class players, but others too?

Hope he has a good time out there and it is better for England rep wise, but will the player drain ever reach a point where any big name sooner or later gets hoovered up?

Seems to me that the SC is bringing SL down to the lower common denominator rather than trying to keep the bar rising.

I was in favour as the promise of boom & bust was made - unfortunately, it hasn't improved yet the loss of quality players to RU & NRL has increased.

Time for a rethink?

No doubt he'll snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a few games.

Hull should mako the best of him while he is still with them.

I say let the aussies pay our better players (keeping them in RL) and we develop new English/British players increasing our International player pool. Win win in my opinion.

Good call. Frees up salary cap at Hull to pay the next star a few more quid and keeps him in the game. More England players in the NRL = a better England team = more (some!!) international success = more income = raised salary cap = more players staying in Super League.

No. Simply raise the cap and the top teams pull away, reducing fan and investor interest across the board.

The secret is to realign the league so that not a penny of cap space goes to waste (as at present). SL can then slowly look to raise itself to NRL levels of support and investment and potentially raise the cap then. Until then we'll have to accept a bit of a pedigree player drain to NRL, which got its house in order years ago.

We reap what we sow. We wanted a SL made up of existing (failing) sides and we can't have it both ways. NRL has 16 teams with big fan bases all capable of paying up to a huge cap. Our aim has to be to achieve that and there will be some pain in the process. It will also take many years.

If we had 14 or more teams all with good sized fan bases and investment then some of those 14 could have been in the offing to raise Tom's income without damaging the competitive balance of the league. But we don't so good luck to him in Oz.

DSK the problem though is that, since it hasn't moved with inflation since it was introduced the salary cap is effectively a third less than it was when it was introduced.

Do you agree that the cap should now be increased annually with inflation?

At what point do we stop lowering the cap every year and either freeze it ( by linking it to inflation) or raise it slightly. The money from sky has gone up, the clubs are charging more on the gates, when can the players expect their earnings to increase with inflation?

DSK the problem though is that, since it hasn't moved with inflation since it was introduced the salary cap is effectively a third less than it was when it was introduced.

Do you agree that the cap should now be increased annually with inflation?

At what point do we stop lowering the cap every year and either freeze it ( by linking it to inflation) or raise it slightly. The money from sky has gone up, the clubs are charging more on the gates, when can the players expect their earnings to increase with inflation?

The cap should only be increased when all clubs can afford to pay it (inflation or not).

Players can increase their earnings by moving to teams lower down the food chain with gaps in their cap spend (should they want them and be able to afford it) as happens in the US sports and presumably NRL. The problem is that we don't have those clubs. But stacking our pedigree players on the same few teams neither helps the league nor said players' development. Brisoce won't get better by running in 4 tries against Cas or London most weeks but he also deserves his pay rise. SL can make a panicky decision to raise the cap or it can hold its nerve and deliver us an NRL in 10 years. Slow and steady wins this race.

Time for a rethink?

Not really, if it's his ambition. We let the Burgii go because that's what they wanted to do.

The cap should only be increased when all clubs can afford to pay it (inflation or not).

The cap has reduced by a third and some teams still can't pay up to it! How much more do we reduce it? We seem to be close to the point where the NRL and Union look at us as a cheap way to develop players. If all the stars are playing elsewhere there is no reason for Sky to pay as much. Then we'll be in to a downward spiral. the quality of the product on the pitch.

Players can increase their earnings by moving to teams lower down the food chain with gaps in their cap spend (should they want them and be able to afford it) as happens in the US sports and presumably NRL. The problem is that we don't have those clubs. But stacking our pedigree players on the same few teams neither helps the league nor said players' development. Brisoce won't get better by running in 4 tries against Cas or London most weeks but he also deserves his pay rise. SL can make a panicky decision to raise the cap or it can hold its nerve and deliver us an NRL in 10 years. Slow and steady wins this race.

We are going to be semi-pro in 10 years at the rate we're going. I don't think increasing the cap with inflation can be classed as panicky.

But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that one.

Can't wait to see him in the NRL. Not bothered if the best SL players go to the NRL I get too see them either way and its only going to strengthen the international side.

The cap has reduced by a third and some teams still can't pay up to it! How much more do we reduce it? We seem to be close to the point where the NRL and Union look at us as a cheap way to develop players. If all the stars are playing elsewhere there is no reason for Sky to pay as much. Then we'll be in to a downward spiral. the quality of the product on the pitch.

We are going to be semi-pro in 10 years at the rate we're going. I don't think increasing the cap with inflation can be classed as panicky.

But I guess we're just going to have to disagree on that one.

These are just my thoughts and I'm certainly not an accountant, but if we are having teams in financial trouble now with the present salary cap, Salford, Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield and maybe others, how will increasing the salary cap help stabilise that. It would be good for those few teams who can afford it but then we would have a more unequal league than we have now with all the top talent going to the top three or four profitable teams.

I take your point about players going elsewhere RU, NRL but if the SL clubs cannot afford to pay them, what is the alternative. If the money is not there the money is not there. It's no good keeping sending clubs into bankruptcy paying players money they do not have.