Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Boy

Tom Briscoe going to Cronulla

30 posts in this topic

I agree more with your thoughts Keighley but the problem is that all sports are having similar problems. And what of the 10 years unprecedented boom before the current recession, why didn't the salary cap move during that era?

At the end of the day a business is a business whether its HMV, Virgin Media, or Bradford Bulls. They generally go bust because management haven't balanced the books and grown the business (I accept I'm over simplifying but I really don't want to write an essay on business practices and I'm pretty sure you don't want to read it)

or have a marquee player exemption...

we already have one. £100k on to of the salary cap for an England international, I believe

I agree more with your thoughts Keighley but the problem is that all sports are having similar problems. And what of the 10 years unprecedented boom before the current recession, why didn't the salary cap move during that era?

At the end of the day a business is a business whether its HMV, Virgin Media, or Bradford Bulls. They generally go bust because management haven't balanced the books and grown the business (I accept I'm over simplifying but I really don't want to write an essay on business practices and I'm pretty sure you don't want to read it)

Yes, the game is between a rock and a hard place. On the wider view you brought up, I think RU is staring down the abyss also and soccer is not completely safe, big as it is. At some point all these sports are going to have to balance their books. It took the USA a long time to catch up with the rest of the world but now, even there, the budget deficits are just too big and action is having to be taken.

The next few years will definitely be interesting.

Can't wait to see him in the NRL. Not bothered if the best SL players go to the NRL I get too see them either way and its only going to strengthen the international side.

I may be old fashioned, but prefer to see em in the flesh rather than on tele!

I may be old fashioned, but prefer to see em in the flesh rather than on tele!

I agree but don't have a SL club within a 90 minute drive so seeing a SL game is a rarity. I do love watching English players in the NRL makes the games very interesting as I want them to do well.