Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess who

Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in Hunslets squad to face Leigh on sunday.

84 posts in this topic

The common purpose of the move is to prevent relegation from the Championship to the third tier where the fixture list will be (with respect) unattractive to what fans clubs will have left, and gates for such as Hunslet could end up averaging under 200 and then that would be that for the club.

So many of the tie up clubs are looking downwards or over their shoulders. The ones looking to SL were worried dual reg that went too far would knock them off their perch where they are waiting for a chance to get in SL.

The idea stronger CC clubs will better prepare top CC clubs for SL is a non starter. It's a semi pro/"A" team league.

The tie ups in Leeds Bradford and Wakefield look to me like one hope is the SL club will start to draw fans from their tie up areas. If your a family in Donny trying RL for the first time at the keepmoat, you may after realising Donny are just a junior partner to wakefield decide to go for Superleague...

Leeds already chase all the RL fans in south leeds and get most of them. There are several thousand people in Doncaster who have in the past paid to watch RL when the Dons were doing well, Wakefeld would love to get them coming up the donny Road. Bradford already park the season ticket bus in Batley. Now it'll start parking up in Dewsbury as well.

If Dewsbury have 1500 fans and Bradford hoover up 1,000 of them, causing the death of Dewsbury and the loss of 500 fans to RL, and if this scenario is repeated at many of the other A team towns, this is a net loss for the game of RL for the sake of 500 new fans at the Bulls.

All for the good of the game though.

But isn't that the same for all clubs? All those who think they might get relegated, could (if they choose) link with a SL club, and then it's up to them to do a good deal with their SL link. Those who get the best deals will do best, same as those championship clubs who recruit best generally, or have the best links with their local community clubs will tend to do better.

If I were a Hunslet or Gloucester fan, I'd be well chuffed that my club had linked with Leeds, probably the best club in the game. If I were a Doncaster fan, I'd be less excited about the link with Wakey, might get one or two half-decent fringe players, but unlikely to get anything else that will help shape Doncaster as a club for years to come.

Didn't work out too well for Hunslet today. Maybe there was no teamwork or team spirit or much effort from downsized SL prospects.

If Dewsbury have 1500 fans and Bradford hoover up 1,000 of them, causing the death of Dewsbury and the loss of 500 fans to RL, and if this scenario is repeated at many of the other A team towns, this is a net loss for the game of RL for the sake of 500 new fans at the Bulls.

All for the good of the game though.

Gobbledygook.

If the level of paying support is 151,000 and they are all spread through 14 SL clubs you'd have 14 SL clubs self sustaining and in profit.

Take the clubs with 7,000 fans whose clubs lose £500,000 a year or clubs with 800 fans who go nowhere decade after decade.

Only clubs in profit can grow.

Gobbledygook.

If the level of paying support is 151,000 and they are all spread through 14 SL clubs you'd have 14 SL clubs self sustaining and in profit.

What would happen then is the SC would be raised so the SL clubs would then need to generate even more money and inevitably some of them would not be making a profit if indeed they all would with those figures anyway.

What would happen then is the SC would be raised so the SL clubs would then need to generate even more money and inevitably some of them would not be making a profit if indeed they all would with those figures anyway.

I see no evidence at all they will raise the cap if revenues increase.

Most club chairmen are talking about the clubs as businesses becoming self sustaining, most are dismayed as the England coach is that SL clubs have gone bust/near bust this last 18 months and they say it's got to stop. Certainly running up a large directors loans account is something most SL clubs are also against if possible.

There's also the scenario where clubs think that by spending the cap they will have a good team. Didn't work at London, didn't work at Bradford and the penny has largely dropped that because the game is so short of quality professionals, especially now the best GB stars are going to Oz and the OZ player supply had dried up, and the academies aren't churning them out, that the current value of the total cap spend is more than adequate to secure the services of the best RL players, who choose to stay in British RL as opposed to union or NRL.

The tie up with the CC clubs saves £100K to ease the financial burden too.

The salary cap is a central mechanism in controlling the finances of Superleague. Double it and some clubs will go bonkers and buy up all the best talent, others will see their rich chairmen give up and their clubs drift/collapse and the players will just be the same people only on double wages.

So for me they are now handling the salary cap with care and I see no logic or reason for any increase in the cap.

Indeed a reduction in the cap can spread the talent better and reduce the losses bringing more clubs into profit. However that's where the big boys will draw the line. The Mantra has always been that the "smaller" SL clubs should build towards the level of the big ones, and as the years pass towards that goal the big boys will continue to enjoy winning all the cups.

SL teams can only link with one CC club

Actually they're able to link with 2 Championship clubs as long as one is outside of the M62 corridor. Which is why Saints have linked with both Whitehaven & Rochdale as Haven fall outside the M62 restriction.

Actually they're able to link with 2 Championship clubs as long as one is outside of the M62 corridor. Which is why Saints have linked with both Whitehaven & Rochdale as Haven fall outside the M62 restriction.

Ah. I thought it was about Championship /Championship 1, not M62/not.

The rule is that should a SL club wish to go in to partnership with a second Championship club that clubs must be from outside the M62 heartlands in areas such as Cumbria, the North East, the Midlands, the South West, South Yorkshire, London, Wales or France.