Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

166 posts in this topic

Yes but I haven't heard RL mentioned in any news reports so far. Just a general 'aussie sport'

Sky news have just reported that the NRL and AFL are heavily implicated.

Even if it were the case, and I'm not sure it will be, not sure how it means an entire sport can be found guilty. I know where you're coming from but not sure we should feel guilty over it.

True, but when did facts get in the way of a good bashing, anyway, this is probably bigger than owt faced recently so we'll just have to hold onto our hats.

n.b. I do "hope" this extends to the Australian Olympics team, just to make Yorkshirefolk feel even better about beating them.

Illegal drugs and links to organised crime widespread in Australian sport

It's fine, most crimes commited by NRL players are very disorganised

Joke stolen from Fire Up!

Sky news have just reported that the NRL and AFL are heavily implicated.

Fair enough then. I don't expect RL to not be implicated, and if there are cheats it should be. Lets have it out in the open.

Yes but I haven't heard RL mentioned in any news reports so far. Just a general 'aussie sport'

try here

look in the Aussie papers, whilst its the general scandle the papers here are focusing on there is more in-depth coverage over there. If the RLWC looks like its starting to get attention and interest you can bet certain parts of the media will suddenly 'pick up' on this story.

try here

look in the Aussie papers, whilst its the general scandle the papers here are focusing on there is more in-depth coverage over there. If the RLWC looks like its starting to get attention and interest you can bet certain parts of the media will suddenly 'pick up' on this story.

But the Aussies aren't even the WC holders. What can they say about it? They used drugs to lose?

Its not like RL will lose fans to other sports is it? They are all implicated.

I totally understand your concerns but not sure how a few cheats in Aus means we're all at it. It might even generate some bleeding publicity for the thing!!!

Good old BBC:

"Traditionally, sport has been an arena where Australia has projected itself onto the world stage. There is great pride in how a nation of just 23 million people enjoys so much per capita success. If its sporting reputation is tarnished, then so too is its global reputation. That said, two sporting codes under particularly close scrutiny, Aussie Rules (AFL) and rugby league (NRL) do not have much of an international profile."

6.30 and 7.30 sports news on Radio 4 this morning cited Rugby League and Aussie Rules as being the "two major winter sports" involved in the story. No other sports mentioned by name and no real details given.

our old friend league freak is getting battered about this on twitter..............

Lol at the pommies grabbing onto this as an excuse for their ###### sports teams...

this is exactly why the ###### has hit the fan in australia....you are all to busy trying to rub our little pommie noses in it you don't even see whats going on under your own noses...

our old friend league freak is getting battered about this on twitter..............

i got into him at about 2am...could'nt resist :lol:

6.30 and 7.30 sports news on Radio 4 this morning cited Rugby League and Aussie Rules as being the "two major winter sports" involved in the story. No other sports mentioned by name and no real details given.

In part that's because it's a 'statement of intent' from the investigators and they have primarily been focusing on NRL and AFL as the country's premier sports - but cricket, soccer, union and horse racing are all implicated.

Definitely worth looking at the aussie press.

I heard tennis and cricket mentioned on 5Live.

I heard tennis and cricket mentioned on 5Live.

How far does this go back? Aussie Tennis is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, and the Cricket team are no longer the Invincibles of days gone by.

on aussie radio overnight the main focus is on NRL & AFL....cricket has been mentioned too

But the Aussies aren't even the WC holders. What can they say about it? They used drugs to lose?

Its not like RL will lose fans to other sports is it? They are all implicated.

I totally understand your concerns but not sure how a few cheats in Aus means we're all at it. It might even generate some bleeding publicity for the thing!!!

That's not what I'm getting at though. I don't think it will reflect on the players over here BUT the negative publicity this will generate if the WC takes off (it will get ignored otherwise) is something that needs to be addressed now.

And whilst the Aussies aren't the holders (how many of the kiwi team are at clubs that have been implicated though?) they are the favourites, and rightly so.

How far does this go back? Aussie Tennis is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, and the Cricket team are no longer the Invincibles of days gone by.

No idea mate but it illustrates the point that whilst RL will be a major part of this scandal, it won't be the only one, far from it.

Every cloud.

That's not what I'm getting at though. I don't think it will reflect on the players over here BUT the negative publicity this will generate if the WC takes off (it will get ignored otherwise) is something that needs to be addressed now.

And whilst the Aussies aren't the holders (how many of the kiwi team are at clubs that have been implicated though?) they are the favourites, and rightly so.

As I say, I know where you are coming from and you are right, it could generate negative publicity for the WC....but we need to have a bit more confidence. Deal with the cheats but lets not beat ourselves up over it - RL is not in the dock.

Hehe can we claim to have the test results from the last few decades scrubbed?

Obviously I know nowt but I can see some Antipodeans over here being questioned, which could disrupt the SL.

Hehe can we claim to have the test results from the last few decades scrubbed?

nah...but we can use it as a massive physchological factor