Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

166 posts in this topic

Can we be sure that our own house is truly in order here?.......just saying......

Can we be sure that our own house is truly in order here?.......just saying......

I don't think team wide doping is prevalent in SL but certainly heard rumours of players using PED's

As I say, I know where you are coming from and you are right, it could generate negative publicity for the WC....but we need to have a bit more confidence. Deal with the cheats but lets not beat ourselves up over it - RL is not in the dock.

That's fair enough. What I'd like to see though is the RLIF put drug testing requirements out fairly soon, and enforce all teams signing up. That would hopefully mitigate much of the damage.

I doubt any professional sport is 100% clean, unfortunately. Some are viewed with more suspicion than others, but when you combine single-minded and ultra-competitive people with lucrative rewards and fame, there will always be those who seek a little more advantage than is proper.

Whilst wanting to denigrate RL in general the biased British media will surely want to avoid acknowledging what a huge sport RL is in Oz.

even after the wake up call the ARLC have had today i seriously doubt they will let the RFL,who are running the world cup on behalf of the RLIF, drug test everyone at the world cup...

Whilst wanting to denigrate RL in general the biased British media will surely want to avoid acknowledging what a huge sport RL is in Oz.

We can be quite grateful for league's low profile right now.

Quite a dilemma for the bigoted anti-RL hacks, isn't it? To hammer Rugby League, they have to let slip that it's a major sport. B)

could also explain how matt orford was ripping up trees at manly...but ###### at bradford :lol:

Likewise how Perry has proven to be a soft pudding at Saints but then he does seem to be really into his meusli which doesn't strike my as being the best fuel for a prop forward

even after the wake up call the ARLC have had today i seriously doubt they will let the RFL,who are running the world cup on behalf of the RLIF, drug test everyone at the world cup...

why not?....it's not unreasonable

Likewise how Perry has proven to be a soft pudding at Saints.

careful now........can see this getting locked soon enough!!

why not?....it's not unreasonable

You'd think it would be an established part of the competition.

careful now........can see this getting locked soon enough!!

Yeah, its not wise to be throwing names around in the circumstances...in whatever context you might think.

You'd think it would be an established part of the competition.

It's not cheap.

I worry it could completely ruin the World Cup.

This is a big point - all this needs to be cleared up by October - but really what are the chances of that happening??

What will the drugs policy be for the World Cup I wonder?? - hopefully it will be rigorous.

But the Aussies aren't even the WC holders. What can they say about it? They used drugs to lose?

Its not like RL will lose fans to other sports is it? They are all implicated.

I totally understand your concerns but not sure how a few cheats in Aus means we're all at it. It might even generate some bleeding publicity for the thing!!!

Yes New Zealand are World Cup holders but to be honest it doesn't sound like the drugs were being 'distributed' by the Kangeroos or Kiwis, it sounds like they were being 'distributed' by the NRL clubs - that share both Kangeroo and Kiwi (and Pacific Island) players.

Good old BBC:

"Traditionally, sport has been an arena where Australia has projected itself onto the world stage. There is great pride in how a nation of just 23 million people enjoys so much per capita success. If its sporting reputation is tarnished, then so too is its global reputation. That said, two sporting codes under particularly close scrutiny, Aussie Rules (AFL) and rugby league (NRL) do not have much of an international profile."

It is true though if you consider that Football, Cricket, Rugby Union and even the Olympics are involved. If Australian Olympic athletes are included in this (not sure if they are yet) then it would be an even bigger story.

I doubt any professional sport is 100% clean, unfortunately. Some are viewed with more suspicion than others, but when you combine single-minded and ultra-competitive people with lucrative rewards and fame, there will always be those who seek a little more advantage than is proper.

I think the major difference is whether it's on an individual or club (or league level). If an individual is doing this then the focus is obviously on them and yes you are right it will always happen.

But if Manly or Parramatta or the NRL themselves are directly involved then that is what will make the story so bad.

I'm on holiday in Aus and believe me, this is a massive story. Watched about an hour of press conference this morning and the sports guy on channel 7 described this as the biggest scandal ever in Australian sport. Has been building for a couple of days following the sacking of Essendon's sport science guy who was previously with Manly and hit the headlines for giving the players calf blood injections. Think he has worked with another 4 NRL clubs. The press conference was very non-committal with regards sports or clubs but the word widespread was used a lot. That said, the A League guy was quick to say it wasn't them.

What was surprising is that AFL players appear to have a 3 strike rule on "recreational" drugs and some states are very weak on betting rules. The later stages of the press conference concentrated on the latter and also the strong links with organised crime. Seems to me that controls are very weak and it's pretty much a case of closing the gate when the horse has already bolted.

The opening lines at the press conference were that sports fans would be shocked and disgusted. The whole thing has now been passed on the Aussie anti-drug body but with increased powers to question anyone but there will be nothing released for a while yet.

It's not cheap.

This is true - hence why the paralympics didn't have full coverage.

Random in-competition testing should be part though, surely?

the A League guy was quick to say it wasn't them.

They appear to have been less committal about the possibility of matches being fixed in their league though?

They appear to have been less committal about the possibility of matches being fixed in their league though?

I must admit I didn't see much more than the press conference this morning which was initially concentrating on the drugs side of things and as it progressed went deeper into the betting side. He was quick to deny they would be implicated on the drugs matters and that they weren't involved in the investigations into match fixing in other parts of the world but would work with the other sports governing bodies. I've been out all day so haven't seen any of the subsequent fall out other than the constant repetition of the sound bites.

I do get the impression that there will be an amnesty or reduced sentences for players to come forward now.

Christ, yeah, it isn't just doping either, there's a whole other string to the bow.

This is true - hence why the paralympics didn't have full coverage.

Random in-competition testing should be part though, surely?

I'm sure it will be. All the big games plus some random others have testers at the moment. They pick out two from each side. Jacking that up from 4 to 34 just won't be possible financially. And, of course, they turn up at training too.

Has dwarf throwing been mentioned ?

Posted · Hidden by Martyn Sadler, February 7, 2013 - No reason given

You do gave to wonder whether it will highlight any issues over here ....... you only have to look at the exaggerated jaw lines and brows of certain SL players to think maybe they may have had substances in the past such as HGH. There are some obvious examples at Leeds, Hudds, Hull etc.