Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Rugby league in Aussie doping scandal

166 posts in this topic

Bloody Hell. It's worse than at Hull!

Peter Sharp taking the reigns at Cronulla. There's a name I haven't heard for a while!

Poor Cronulla, up ###### creek without a paddle.

Hung out to dry, sad day in Aussie sport.

Poor Cronulla, up ###### creek without a paddle.

Hung out to dry, sad day in Aussie sport.

Is Elkin, now at yours, the whistleblower?

shiz has certainly hit the fan.. seems like a lot more to come from this story though.

Given that the focus is on the Cronulla squad of 2011, there are a couple of current SL players that were in that squad at the time. The link in my previous post suggests that they could still receive a ban should they be found to have taken a banned substance at the time.

Not much wrong with UKIP imo. However I think Blackpool should resurface in C1 as there are so many East Europeans in the town they could field a team of Rumanian stars and have a big following as well.

Not saying there's anything wrong with them (personally I'm not a fan) just saying that them running the country isn't going to happen. And by the time they're up there as a legitimate party they'll no doubt have sold out on most of their core value, as all rising parties tend to do.

Always issues at the Sharks lol

Some fin fishy going on?

As a sort of tangent of this, I've always wondered, why is it ok for players to have painkilling injections?

To me this seems an extension of the performance enhancing element, masking pain, when even certain over the counter cold remedies are banned, I think.

As a sort of tangent of this, I've always wondered, why is it ok for players to have painkilling injections?

To me this seems an extension of the performance enhancing element, masking pain, when even certain over the counter cold remedies are banned, I think.

Outside of the pro sports arena ill or injured people are routinely given drugs, which may have side effects, to reduce their recovery period or enhance their experience of recovery.There is therefore reasonably an argument to be made that it may be OK if, as part of a player's treatment for an injury, he is administered sanctioned substances to speed up his recovery. This would mean putting in place a proper process of certifying such drugs, overseen by the national medical authorities in conjuction with the relevant sports body, by the same process for any other drug they are required to assess. The players treatment would be supervised by a doctor, or at least a medical professional - definitely not a trainer or sports scientist such as Dank.

None of that is likely to fly in Cronulla's case, where the players were let down by people who should have known better; I won't risk the mods guillotine by saying any more than that.

You then however get into dodgy territory such as is a quick turn around from injury in itself performance enhancing?

Lastly I'm dubious that bodies like WADA and ASADA, better suited to overseeing anti-drug oversight in "performance" olympic sports, are the right people to perform that role in skill sports like the football codes, cricket etc.

It really has been handled incredibly poorly by nearly everyone! It was wrong to point the finger of blame at the sport without actually having any apparent evidence at the time so therefore casting doubts on every single player and club, many of which have all been subsequently cleared.

Undoubtably it appears there has been some that have used these peptides, but to use it as some kind of political point scoring process, which is what it appears like, is completely wrong. It should be a fair and thorough investigation, and those guilty will be punished. Rather than some kind of circus full of rumours, overreactions, and smear campaigns!

I may use the standard RL fans response - FARCE!