Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graham

The big dopes

19 posts in this topic

The big sports related news out of Oz regarding use of illegal drugs in a range of sports is both shocking and disappointing.

Naming and shaming will need to be the order of the day, whatever shocks that turns up.

What Operation Aperio Found

• The investigation identified widespread use of prohibited substances including peptides, hormones and illicit drugs in professional sport.
  • It also found that this use has been facilitated by sports scientists, high-performance coaches and sports staff.
  • In some cases, players are being administered with substances that have not yet been approved for human use.
  • The ACC also identified organised crime identities and groups that are involved in the distribution of PIEDs to athletes and professional sports staff.
  • The report concluded that some coaches, sports scientists and support staff of elite athletes have orchestrated and/or condoned the use of prohibited substances.

Aperio:

1. to uncover
  2. to open

Don't hold ya breath waiting for 'pro active' results from either the AFL - NRL or FFA

From the AFL & NRL you'll get 'We are please this problem in not now current & no retroactive check is possible'

From the FFA,(David Gallop) in a press statement - 8/2/2013

FOOTBALL Federation CEO David Gallop has revealed that football had been exonerated from allegations of match fixing and drug use.

This is the same person who found 'no problem' with Calf Blood derivative injections for Manly players ?

Same season they won a premiership ?

Question..if it is found that Roo players had taken perfomance enhancing drugs and competed in succesful Ashes/4nations matches. Should Australia be stripped of those medals and results?

How sure are we that all is sweetness and light on this subject in RL (and as in Oz other sports too) in the UK?

I have a couple of questions.

What the hell have The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority been doing? Whilst quiet rightly questions need to be asked of the NRL and why they turned down the chance of having an Integrity team to look at such stuff, why have ASADA not been properly testing and finding things out? The RFL give them 500,000 Aussie dollars a year. How can players and allegedly whole clubs manage to get away with alleged doping if ASADA have been running thousands of tests a year? How come Andrew Johns was not caught? Why was this released with no names, clubs or even which exact sports are affected? The whole thing has been badly handled in my opinion

How sure are we that all is sweetness and light on this subject in RL (and as in Oz other sports too) in the UK?

Pretty sure, to be honest. RL in the UK are probably one of the strictest sports for drug testing.

I have a couple of questions.

What the hell have The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority been doing? Whilst quiet rightly questions need to be asked of the NRL and why they turned down the chance of having an Integrity team to look at such stuff, why have ASADA not been properly testing and finding things out? The RFL give them 500,000 Aussie dollars a year. How can players and allegedly whole clubs manage to get away with alleged doping if ASADA have been running thousands of tests a year? How come Andrew Johns was not caught? Why was this released with no names, clubs or even which exact sports are affected? The whole thing has been badly handled in my opinion

Hmm ? ASADA do random testing of athletes & the results are given to the 'governing bodies' of the various sports codes.

Unless it's a criminally illegal drug then it's up to those governing bodies to act.

The peptides,etc causing the current media frenzy are virtually undetectable within an hour or so of injecting,(according to experts ?)

The ACC who ran Operation Aperio have no legal status to charge people or name names - They can only pass on the intelligence they acquire to State & Federal police.

Andrew John you may remember WAS found out,but many various people kept it on the quiet :blink:

Hmm ? ASADA do random testing of athletes & the results are given to the 'governing bodies' of the various sports codes.

Unless it's a criminally illegal drug then it's up to those governing bodies to act.

The peptides,etc causing the current media frenzy are virtually undetectable within an hour or so of injecting,(according to experts ?)

The ACC who ran Operation Aperio have no legal status to charge people or name names - They can only pass on the intelligence they acquire to State & Federal police.

Andrew John you may remember WAS found out,but many various people kept it on the quiet :blink:

I meant that Asada have a role of guilt to play in this as well. If they know or have found people testing positive and the NRL , AFL etc dont do anything then Asada should tell them that they will announce it then. Its a disgrace the NRL and AFL etc have been covering up things. But I fo feel Asada should not be leaving it up to the NRL and AFL to make the announcement and decisions. And their are reports of whole team doping, If the evidence is there then lets name and shame or dont announce it. I feel the whole announcement has been poor as it comes across as wild accusations with no real facts or evidence given

Apart from the obvious disapointment on this, what concerns me is that if several Kangaroo's were to be named and shamed, how some of our ahem 'friends' in the union centric UK national press including our perrenial pal Steven Jones would gleefully spread the muck. Conveniently neglecting to mention how all footy codes and other Aussie sports are involved.

Pretty sure, to be honest. RL in the UK are probably one of the strictest sports for drug testing.

RL in Australia are also one of the strictest sports for drug testing. A lot of it is done "in-house" though, hence the Andrew Johns issue. In saying that, the report indicates that a lot of drugs being used aren't on the banned list because some of them haven't even been approved for human use. :O

Sea Eagles, Sharks, Panthers, Raiders, Cowboys and Knights involved. Extent of involvement not known yet.

Just as worrying is the scandal of match fixing in sport. However, what can you expect when we are bombarded with gambling talk by the various betting agencies. Don't tell me that they tell us to gamble responsibly. Just like any other advertiser all they are interested in is your money into their pockets.

What annoys me more is that if this is true then GB/ENG have suffered numerous defeats and years of humiliation to possible cheats. Who's media/players then had the audacity to laugh at our game/players. I hope the RFL demand the stripping of any ashes/cups if it comes to pass that Kangaroo players/teams were involved. If nothing does come of this the RFL should at least demand that all southern hemisphere teams are strictly tested at the world cup

If nothing does come of this the RFL should at least demand that all southern hemisphere teams are strictly tested at the world cup

I would extend that and say all teams should be strictly tested

I would extend that and say all teams should be strictly tested

fair call

Question..if it is found that Roo players had taken perfomance enhancing drugs and competed in succesful Ashes/4nations matches. Should Australia be stripped of those medals and results?

No, individual players would have taken drugs, not the team.

No, individual players would have taken drugs, not the team.

What if all the individual players did?