Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

Kid Free Flights

45 posts in this topic

No, I fully expect it. That is why I'm in favour of child free zones on flights. Seems like a sensible decision all round. The parents can not worry about their children annoying others and those who want a bit of piece and quiet can book seats in the child free zone.

All fair enough. Not that it'll stop letters to the papers from parents, accusing anyone who wants such a thing of being heartless barren monsters.

All fair enough. Not that it'll stop letters to the papers from parents, accusing anyone who wants such a thing of being heartless barren monsters.

No but lets have it right. I don't want to sit next to pensioners or people slurping tea or coffee or have smelly feet. So zones for all is only fair.

The parents can not worry about their children annoying others

Apart from people with kids who's children are well behaved.

it seems like its taboo to admit you don't like children.

It's worse if you really, really like children.

At first, the infant,

Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.

And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel

And shining morning face, creeping like snail

Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,

Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad

Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,

Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,

Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,

Seeking the bubble reputation

Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,

In fair round belly with good capon lined,

With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,

Full of wise saws and modern instances;

And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts

Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,

With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,

His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide

For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,

Turning again toward childish treble, pipes

And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,

That ends this strange eventful history,

Is second childishness and mere oblivion,

Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

guess which end of the spectrum hindle is.

and me..

Apart from people with kids who's children are well behaved.

True but I think most people who have children know they have to give up a few luxuries.

I must admit that on the few long haul flights I've been on - via Emirates to/from Australia - kids haven't bothered me that much. There have been a few excited ones running along the passageways, to and from the loos, etc, but they seem to settle down after a while (probably knackered!). The extensive entertainment tends to help subdue them after a while, and helps me ignore any disruption.

Also, on a journey lasting 20 hours or so most normal people - including kids - tend to succumb to exhaustion. Not me, though. I get a short nap of 90 minutes, if I'm lucky, so most of my journey is enjoyed in peace (peaceful watching of films, listening to rock music, watching the footage of the plane's external cameras, reading Rugby League World/Rugby League Week).

Small babies crying just brings the paternal side of me, regardless of how loud or persistent it goes on.

I have no problem sharing a flight with kids, as long as their seats are on the wing.

Kids aren't the problem, its the parents who can't/won't control them.

indeed - parents who think their precious little darlings can do no wrong and should be allowed to run around uncontrollably are the issue here.

Same goes for most public places though not just planes.

It's worse if you really, really like children.

:biggrin:

watching the footage of the plane's external cameras, reading Rugby League World/Rugby League Week).

Small babies crying just brings the paternal side of me, regardless of how loud or persistent it goes on.

Just shows how different people can be. It just makes me think stfu. :D

indeed - parents who think their precious little darlings can do no wrong and should be allowed to run around uncontrollably are the issue here.

Same goes for most public places though not just planes.

There's very few parents with this attitude though. Its like most adults are reasonable on a flight or other enclosed scenario but there's always exceptions. Drunk people on planes can be a nightmare.

There's very few parents with this attitude though. Its like most adults are reasonable on a flight or other enclosed scenario but there's always exceptions. Drunk people on planes can be a nightmare.

i disagree about there being very few.

Its even worse when parents feel that sorting their kids out is screeching at them making even more of a scene than their kids.

i disagree about there being very few.

Its even worse when parents feel that sorting their kids out is screeching at them making even more of a scene than their kids.

Its not easy mate, as you will probably know one day. ;) When you are losing your rag the last thing you need is someone tut-tutting at you and pointing out your parental shortcomings. Perhaps some of the stress comes from knowing your kids are annoying others?

And it is only a minority that regard their kids as little angels who can do no wrong, most realise they can be a pain.

Its not easy mate, as you will probably know one day. ;) When you are losing your rag the last thing you need is someone tut-tutting at you and pointing out your parental shortcomings. Perhaps some of the stress comes from knowing your kids are annoying others?

And it is only a minority that regard their kids as little angels who can do no wrong, most realise they can be a pain.

my kids WILL be little angels and will do no wrong.

I'm unlikely to become a parent but if I do my children will be perfect and behave impeccably. ;)

Kids have a semi-reasonable excuse. The inconsiderate turds who fling their seat backwards before taxiing, really wind me up.

Kids have a semi-reasonable excuse. The inconsiderate turds who fling their seat backwards before taxiing, really wind me up.

Oh yes. BTW what is the etiquette with reclining the seat on a plane? I tend to wait for the person in front to so it before I do. I once had someone have a go at me for daring to recline even though the passenger in front had.

I have no problem sharing a flight with kids, as long as their seats are on the wing.

Kids aren't the problem, its the parents who can't/won't control them.

Spot on. I was on a flight once when a couple sat in one row of seating an sat their brat of a toddler in the row in front of them next to me! They had a nice peaceful fight while I had to contend with sitting next to a fidgety four year old. I'd opt for kid free sections if they were available, not only on planes but all public transport and especially in pubs. Parents, if you must bring your kids into the pub for a meal keep the brats under control, don't just switch off swilling back the booze and let them run amok.

Oh yes. BTW what is the etiquette with reclining the seat on a plane? I tend to wait for the person in front to so it before I do. I once had someone have a go at me for daring to recline even though the passenger in front had.

Personally, it is my humble reclining should only be allowed on overnight flights. I am over six feet tall, far from svelte and have never felt the need to put my seat back. The legroom afforded on today's planes doesn't require it.

The only time I have flown on an upgraded seat, an octogenarian midget did exactly what I stated in my previous post. To say it peed me off would be an understatement.

As you have probably deduced, I am vehemently anti-recline!