Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Horsemeat lasagne

114 posts in this topic

Horsemeat tests ordered on beef products

Food retailers have been told to carry out tests on all processed beef products after some Findus lasagnes were found to contain 100% horsemeat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21377601

The price we pay for 'cheap' food stacked high in supermarkets is that we don't know what the hell we're eating anymore regardless of what it says on the packet.

Heads should roll, but probably won't.

I'm beginning to understand vegetarianism.

Chris Evans made a good point this morning, he suggests that tall of this could be a catalyst to the return of high street Butchers, Bakers etc. I think people are getting fed up (pun not intended) with bad service and products.

That's why we keep our 'use' of processed food to a minimum. It's all tasteless and overpriced anyway.

That's why we keep our 'use' of processed food to a minimum. It's all tasteless and overpriced anyway.

Exactly. We've used our local butchers for years, the quality is so much better it's sometimes hard to believe that stuff comes from the same animals as that sold in supermarkets. Perhaps the recent news explains why: it isn't the same animals. :lol:

An inevitable result of everyone wanting low price food available 24/7.

The latest concern is that human DNA has been found in Welsh lamb.

That said, many of us have suspected this for years.

I think this is brilliant news. I spent much of my 20s eating living on crappy ready meals and I was always a touch worried I might have contracted Mad Cow Disease as a result of the low quality beef they throw into those things.

But as it turns out, I was eating horse all along!

Result! It's a weight off my mind, I can tell you.

I know it's not the point but if they'd offered horsemeat lasagne, I'd've probably gone out and tried it. Tomorrow night I'll have to try the zebra I got.

I know it's not the point but if they'd offered horsemeat lasagne, I'd've probably gone out and tried it. Tomorrow night I'll have to try the zebra I got.

You have to fry it on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes!

The latest concern is that human DNA has been found in Welsh lamb.

That said, many of us have suspected this for years.

:D

I go to an auction rooms in Bradford and last week I bought a new bell for my front door. It's a proper cast iron bell and it's got a cast-iron model sheep on the frame.

This week I've been back and bought one for my sister ... it's got a cow on it!!!

Seriously, we get on really well, it's just that she lives in a cottage surrounded by fields with Hereford Cows grazing in them.

:)

You have to fry it on a griddle pan - can't have zebra without stripes!

Everyone knows that Zebras are black with white stripes. He'll have to do Louisiana style blackened steak and scrape some off!

What's the fuss? For years we've been told that Ready Meals contain too much Salt and Shergar. (Graeme Garden)

Put my Findus Lasagne into microwave. I took it out after 3 minutes & it still wasn't finished. I said, "I've backed you before haven't I?" (Danny Baker)

I always thought that a Findus Lasagne for one was made entirely of broken dreams, a feeling of emptiness and heartache.

I always thought that a Findus Lasagne for one was made entirely of broken dreams, a feeling of emptiness and heartache.

I think you'll find that that's actually the crispy pancakes. HTH.

So it turns out horse tastes like beef and is much, much cheaper.

Struggling to see a downside to this news.

A cat, delivered in a frozen peas box, is named Findus in a children's books series by Sven Nordqvist see http://en.wikipedia..../Sven_Nordqvist

"Everybody's getting uptight about lasagne, wait until you hear what they put in their coq au vin" - credited to Tony Hannan

Don't get too carried away about your local butcher. Scottish Butcher of the Year

Organics too. http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-13746682

You still need to be vigilant about hygene. no matter who you buy your food from or where it comes from.

Just what I wanted to say. I'm quite prepared to eat horse but it's not on sale legitimately.

So it turns out horse tastes like beef and is much, much cheaper.

Struggling to see a downside to this news.

It's nice to know what you are eating. I don't have a problem with horse meat but if it had been dog meat that would be different. Yeah I know it's not logical.

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.

So it turns out horse tastes like beef

How do you deduce that? My (admittedly very limited) experience of eating ready made frozen meals would suggest that they don't tend to taste of anything, so even if it had contained beef, I doubt you'd have been able to tell. :lol:

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.

To me, the issue is that a foreign foodstuff has got into hte food chain, rather than what it is. If it's supposed to be beef, it should be beef. Horse I'd have no objection to eating, but through choice and knowledge of what it is, not because someone somewhere is trying to save a few bob without telling me.

How do you deduce that? My (admittedly very limited) experience of eating ready made frozen meals would suggest that they don't tend to taste of anything, so even if it had contained beef, I doubt you'd have been able to tell. :lol:

Quite.

So it seems that horsemeat tastes as good as anything else and is cheap.

Will be looking out for more of it.

Quite.

So it seems that horsemeat tastes as good as anything else and is cheap.

Will be looking out for more of it.

My wife has eaten horse in France, and said it was quite nice. She won't let me cook hers though so I can try it. :rolleyes::D