Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Horsemeat lasagne

114 posts in this topic

One thing that hasn't been released is whether any of the horsemeat came from British slaughterhouses.

I do appreciate about the labelling and lack of honesty. I really do. But the outrage seems to be off the scale for just that.

At least Pot Noodle beef is open that it's suitable for vegetarians.

It must be difficult for a Liberal Democrat to fully grasp the importance of something being what it says it is on the tin.

One thing that hasn't been released is whether any of the horsemeat came from British slaughterhouses.

the ready-meals involved were made in France,it seems but yes the horse could have ridden in from anywhere. Poland has been mentioned, I think, not sure.

Just what I wanted to say. I'm quite prepared to eat horse but it's not on sale legitimately.

Likewisem but as my wife pointed out what if those horses that went into these burgers etc had been treated with Phenol Butizone or Ketamine? This is basically about traceability along the food supply chain

What I did wonder the other day was, before this came up, by law there can be so many parts of insects and animal hairs and stuff in food, normal food like peanut butter, etc. I wonder how veggies feel about it and deal with it.

Seems the woman that came second on Britain's Brightest got some of the spare teeth.

Just bought a Findus Filly Con Carne and Spaghetti Bologneighs........

Grrrrroaaaaannnn

There is obviously the issue of passing Horsemeat of as beef. But I presume these products sold well and people don't mind eating it, then why after all this has blow over don't they just re label the stuff .

Oh of course that would mean the (innocent) companies involved would have to drop the price reducing their mark up- silly me

Horses not breed/kept for human consumption can be given things like 'Bute' which by all accounts isn't to healthy to eat.

We'd have to consult a doctor, although not Dr Koukash obviously, I'm surprised the media aren't blaming RL... coincedence? I think not!

There is obviously the issue of passing Horsemeat of as beef. But I presume these products sold well and people don't mind eating it, then why after all this has blow over don't they just re label the stuff .

How come the retailers are not being nailed to the wall by Trading Standards over this?

They get all pious about how careful and wonderful they are about quality until something hits the fan and then its nothing to do with them.

Also have you read the back of the Findus box where it goes on about "Our chefs etc." Hypocrisy like this should be challenged.

The publicity would make sure we get what we pay for.

False advertising aside, I don;t see the issue. Horse meat is really tasty.

The issue is not how nice or otherwise Horsemeat is to eat, the issue is that food that says it contains substance "A" is found to contain substance "B"

The concern from this is that it could equally well contain substances X,Y and Z as well.

How come the retailers are not being nailed to the wall by Trading Standards over this?

It seems to me that's what Morrisons were trying to do to their competitors yesterday.

False advertising aside, I don;t see the issue. Horse meat is really tasty.

Yes, but it has no place in BEEF lasagne. The "advertising" or trading standards issues cannot be put "aside", it IS the issue.

Yes, but it has no place in BEEF lasagne. The "advertising" or trading standards issues cannot be put "aside", it IS the issue.

Would it be as big of an issue if it was lamb instead of horse meat?

Yes.

Absolutely; the problem is not that it is horse, the problem is it's NOT beef even though that is what the packet says it what it contains. Also, the allegation now is that it was not only horse when it was supposed to be beef, it was horse that was not destined to be in the food chain and therefore possibly not in a fit condition to eat.

I would have no objection whatsoever to KNOWINGLY eating horse intended for human consumption.

It also begs the question if they can't vouch for the provenance of the meat what about the quality of the other ingredients and hygiene standards?

It also begs the question if they can't vouch for the provenance of the meat what about the quality of the other ingredients and hygiene standards?

I think the question of provenance is a tricky one. In the end, we rely on trust. If we cannot trust the people involved in the food production chain, we cannot rely on any of the various certificates. (This applies to every situation where bits of paper are taken as proof - education, the NHS, the law, tax, etc.) As a scientist, I know the difference between a real proof and a mere claim.

An issue yes. Front page news? No.

False advertising aside, I don;t see the issue.

That's the issue.

That and the small matter of consequent health risks.