Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Horsemeat lasagne

114 posts in this topic

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.

Don't think that's the actual point Sev. If it says Beef Lasagne on it, it shouldn't be 100% Horse! :O

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.

The concern is that, as this horse meat has been introduced illicitly into various suppliers' product, there's no quality/safety guarantee. Because of that, I'd regard with even more suspicion than I would the meat on offer at a dodgy kebab shop.

I'd guess that eating horse that has been raised under guaranteed food-standard conditions, as they do in France, poses little or no problem for a lot of people.

It's nice to know what you are eating. I don't have a problem with horse meat but if it had been dog meat that would be different. Yeah I know it's not logical.

I do appreciate about the labelling and lack of honesty. I really do. But the outrage seems to be off the scale for just that.

At least Pot Noodle beef is open that it's suitable for vegetarians.

My local butcher sells Kangeroo burgers and steaks, I was looking forward to getting some next week when my GF goes away, just so we can claim to have given the Kangeroos a good roasting, but after the drug scandle that has his Australia this week, I think I'll stick with Findus Lasagne

Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of a UK supplier of moose meat, that'd be extremely fine and dandy!

I can think of people I know who won't give a toss about this news. As long as the price is low, that will do for them. Same with dodgy takeaways.

The concern is that, as this horse meat has been introduced illicitly into various suppliers' product, there's no quality/safety guarantee. Because of that, I'd regard with even more suspicion than I would the meat on offer at a dodgy kebab shop.

I'd guess that eating horse that has been raised under guaranteed food-standard conditions, as they do in France, poses little or no problem for a lot of people.

some issue with the potential for phenylbutazone contamination. The company responsible for the current transgression is in France.

http://www.exoticmea...k/elk-meat.html

This company supplied the meat for our xmas lunch.

Should have thought to search 'elk' as well as 'moose'. I once had some moose salami that was just unbelievably tasty.

Someone once found a 'mouse' in their Chinese takeaway near me if that's any use?

it's a labelling thing. If you don't say that there is horse in it then you are offside.

Also if horses aren't bred or slaughtered for human consumption there are health issues-eg medications in the bloodstream, hygiene in the abbattoir etc.

sorry mate didn't see your post

it's a labelling thing. If you don't say that there is horse in it then you are offside.

Also if horses aren't bred or slaughtered for human consumption there are health issues-eg medications in the bloodstream, hygiene in the abbattoir etc.

Oh yes I agree entirely.

Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of a UK supplier of moose meat, that'd be extremely fine and dandy!

It shows up in a few farm shops, I can't quite remember where I got mine from, it was only a couple of frozen steak. Oo wait. Whichever Lidl or Aldi is on Halifax Rd in Bradford!

Normally yes. It's chicken/beef "flavour".

Twas a joke, given the article I linked. ;)

It's nice to know what you are eating. I don't have a problem with horse meat but if it had been dog meat that would be different. Yeah I know it's not logical.

The issue is Herbivores and Carnivores, we tend to eat Herbivores, since carnivores could have eated one of us previously/Scavenged.

The opposite is the case for fish.

Twas a joke, given the article I linked. ;)

True, but you can't assume who's educated and who is riff raff.

The issue is Herbivores and Carnivores, we tend to eat Herbivores, since carnivores could have eated one of us previously/Scavenged.

The opposite is the case for fish.

Omnivore birds too, chickens like insects.

True, but you can't assume who's educated and who is riff raff.

Charming. :P Not that I'm sure that detailed knowledge of pot noodle ingredients shows good education anyway. ;):lol:

some issue with the potential for phenylbutazone contamination. The company responsible for the current transgression is in France.

This is the real issue; not that it's horse, but that it's horse that has not been considered fit for human consumption.

Charming. :P Not that I'm sure that detailed knowledge of pot noodle ingredients shows good education anyway. ;):lol:

:D

A detailed knowledge of Pot Noodles does suggest having been a university student at some point. See also Marmite and Sosmix, as anyone who ever watched the execrable late night ITV programme 'Get Stuffed' would remember.

and Sosmix
Literally never heard of this. Ha veggie sausage mix, there's another brand I have tried though.