Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Italy and Argentina's development in RU show just how short sighted the people that run our sport are.

34 posts in this topic

Several years ago in union circles Italy were not even in the 5/6 Nations and in the first few years of their participation they got pasted and didn't even win a single game........last weekend they defeated France for the second time and are slowly developing into a competitive team and forsee in the next few years further improvement.

Argentina likewise, there was a big debate about whether they should join the top southern hemisphere Rugby Championship competition but that has turned out to be a success.

The point being made here is that after 1 or 2 years of England playing France and Wales mid season in the pinnacle of summer it has been thrown out and replaced with a bogus international team called Exiles. Now I'm not against this concept but it shouldn't be placed above proper international football.

Why can't we stick to playing these teams, allow them to develop and get pasted until they reach England's level? Yes it'll take time but it's the only way we'll get more competitive international teams by giving them more exposure.

They did play against England at the end of last season but that was only to replace NZ and Aus, I'd like to see this comp played mid season and give it 5 years and we'll see France start to get level and Wales a few years after. Generally in international rugby league we need to have the smaller teams playing the big three more often to aid their development.

I can't see why PNG can't play NZ & Aus in a Tri nations down under, possibly including Fiji, our administrators need to be braver and more positive with our sport.

They put the games on offer - blame the fans for not backing International RL. They can come up with umpteen ideas but until the fan mentality in RL changes its an uphill struggle.

They attract cash, we attract ridicule. Ridicule doesn't finance expansion. You need a cash backer to cover losses as you enhance the games appeal, not paying speccies who are not guaranteed to attend.

They put the games on offer - blame the fans for not backing International RL. They can come up with umpteen ideas but until the fan mentality in RL changes its an uphill struggle.

Don't agree, there's hardly been any difference between attendances Vs France and Wales compared to Exiles games.

Don't agree, there's hardly been any difference between attendances Vs France and Wales compared to Exiles games.

None of which are anything to write home about. Vicious circle: games aren't deemed important, fans don't turn out. Players get disheartened and games aren't as fiery as they might be....fans say 'told you it was rubbish'. Etc etc

Argentina & Italy both have good structures in RU... France and, mainly, Wales are still building.

+1

Italy have been playing rugby union since before WW2, Argentina probably have been as well.

Hardly comparable to a handful of years in the case of Wales though you might have a point with France.

i've said it many times if we had the administrators union have then we would have a global game. unfortunately the people who run our game treat it like a parochial past time instead of the great sport it is.................

One of the reasons why Italy/Argentina now compete is that many players are playing in the French Elite 15 competition

People forget that Italy won their first six nations game 33-20 (or thereabouts) against the reigning grand slam champions (Scotland).

i've said it many times if we had the administrators union have then we would have a global game. unfortunately the people who run our game treat it like a parochial past time instead of the great sport it is.................

What do you mean? Its a lot of the fans who have the parochial outlook and refuse to attend games or have a list of excuses not to go. Even the greatest administrator would struggle against some RL fans.

What do you mean? Its a lot of the fans who have the parochial outlook and refuse to attend games or have a list of excuses not to go. Even the greatest administrator would struggle against some RL fans.

The first few years of the Heineken Cup was a commercial disaster with attendances below expectations but it's the persistence and continuity which has turned it into a major sporting event.

Several years ago in union circles Italy were not even in the 5/6 Nations and in the first few years of their participation they got pasted and didn't even win a single game........last weekend they defeated France for the second time and are slowly developing into a competitive team and forsee in the next few years further improvement.

Argentina likewise, there was a big debate about whether they should join the top southern hemisphere Rugby Championship competition but that has turned out to be a success.

The point being made here is that after 1 or 2 years of England playing France and Wales mid season in the pinnacle of summer it has been thrown out and replaced with a bogus international team called Exiles. Now I'm not against this concept but it shouldn't be placed above proper international football.

Why can't we stick to playing these teams, allow them to develop and get pasted until they reach England's level? Yes it'll take time but it's the only way we'll get more competitive international teams by giving them more exposure.

They did play against England at the end of last season but that was only to replace NZ and Aus, I'd like to see this comp played mid season and give it 5 years and we'll see France start to get level and Wales a few years after. Generally in international rugby league we need to have the smaller teams playing the big three more often to aid their development.

I can't see why PNG can't play NZ & Aus in a Tri nations down under, possibly including Fiji, our administrators need to be braver and more positive with our sport.

RU has been played in Argentina since 1873. They first played the B&I Lions in 1910! It has taken a long time for them to get a place in one of the annual competitions and it has followed opportunities for Argentinian players to play professionally in other countries. I'm not sure this template is relevant to RL having a limited international game.

The first few years of the Heineken Cup was a commercial disaster with attendances below expectations but it's the persistence and continuity which has turned it into a major sporting event.

It wasn't that bad. And besides the fans soon started backing the event - this just doesn't happen in RL.

The administration of the International scene is a shocking disgrace in Rugby League. When you compare the IRB and the RLIF for example its frankly embarrassing to say we even have an international federation. Union also has the advantage of decades of the sport being played in Italy, Russia, Argentina, USA, Portugal etc and have pushed millions in to the development there. Rugby League has not the money or infrastructure to develop the game. Its only really down to individuals that the game got going in many nations. The RLIF and RLEF had no plans to start the game in Serbia, Germany, Italy, Russia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Sweden etc. And most of the work in them nations is done by volunteers not by officials that get paid.

Its not all RL's fault that there was little development in those countries - there was the matter of the RU ban to contend with. RL as a game is not, and never has been rich so they can't afford to finance European development. RU hasn't spread that much if you are honest, certainly not with 100 years of banning RL to help it along either.

The administration of the International scene is a shocking disgrace in Rugby League. When you compare the IRB and the RLIF for example its frankly embarrassing to say we even have an international federation. Union also has the advantage of decades of the sport being played in Italy, Russia, Argentina, USA, Portugal etc and have pushed millions in to the development there. Rugby League has not the money or infrastructure to develop the game. Its only really down to individuals that the game got going in many nations. The RLIF and RLEF had no plans to start the game in Serbia, Germany, Italy, Russia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Sweden etc. And most of the work in them nations is done by volunteers not by officials that get paid.

Lizard, will you be going to the Italy VS Tonga game at The Shay?

Isn't this part of the reason the Knights were formed?

I was speaking to someone two weeks ago who needed to get in touch with the RFL a while ago for a particular reason. He got absolutely nowhere and ended up giving up and going elsewhere to get what he needed. Reflected very poorly on the RFL because frankly it was in their interest to be a bit accomodating.

It wasn't that bad. And besides the fans soon started backing the event - this just doesn't happen in RL.

I think the Magic Weekend is worth sticking with, especially now it's in Manchester. I reckon it's a slow burner, but will come good in the end. Which just goes to show that the RFL are capable of coming up with some good, innovative ideas. Problem is for me it always seems a bit sporadic. Every so often they come up with something really good, a bit like the Rugby League of Extraordinary which was spot on but it's not sustained.

Not sure the RFU are any great shakes. Things like the however many nations competition has been going for ages, they've not had to do much to keep that one going.

I think the Magic Weekend is worth sticking with, especially now it's in Manchester. I reckon it's a slow burner, but will come good in the end. Which just goes to show that the RFL are capable of coming up with some good, innovative ideas. Problem is for me it always seems a bit sporadic. Every so often they come up with something really good, a bit like the Rugby League of Extraordinary which was spot on but it's not sustained.

Not sure the RFU are any great shakes. Things like the however many nations competition has been going for ages, they've not had to do much to keep that one going.

I agree and don't think the RFL are either blameless or totally at fault. But fans are absolutely terrible at backing the game usually.

Isn't this part of the reason the Knights were formed?

It's more about developing you English players for me.

Wales are better losing by 60 to England than 50 to the Knights- send the stars down there to pull a crowd.

Quite a few Welsh (as in actually Welsh) players on show in the Wigan/Wire game tonight. That has to be a good sign for the next few years if the progress is maintained.

Yeah, and we should be able to fill 12/15000 grounds to watch the best players in the country regardless of the standard of the opposition.

On a loosely related note, the World Cup e-zine dropped into my inbox today advertising a couple of offers for the Exiles game piggy backing on the WC interest. I think it'll pull a good crowd.

Lizard, will you be going to the Italy VS Tonga game at The Shay?

No mate as one reason is I cant take time off work to get there as I dont live in the UK and am taking 5 weeks off to go to Australia and NZ in July. There are a couple of other reasons that I wont go into . Infact I am not sure I will be in the UK this year as was over for New Years and dont have the money. My likely next visit would be 2014. Will let you know and could meet up at an amateur game or something.