See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldcoaster

Andy Ellis

51 posts in this topic

I was watching the Wakefield game, and wondered where Andy Ellis was. Then I found out he'd gone to semi-pro footy with Fev. How could this happen? The guy is a gun player and is superb out of dummy-half. IMO, he was a major contributor to Wakeys great run of form at the back-end of last season.

Even if he was surplus to requirements at Wakey, surely with clubs like Salford and Cas unable to find quality players, he would have landed a gig in the SL.

With all due respect to Fev, players of his quality shouldn't be consigned to park footy.

I'm afraid I have to agree, he's far too good to be playing Championship footy. He was one of the main reasons we won the league in 09. Last year I thought he was class, and I was very shocked when released by Wakefield.

I was watching the Wakefield game, and wondered where Andy Ellis was. Then I found out he'd gone to semi-pro footy with Fev. How could this happen? The guy is a gun player and is superb out of dummy-half. IMO, he was a major contributor to Wakeys great run of form at the back-end of last season.

Even if he was surplus to requirements at Wakey, surely with clubs like Salford and Cas unable to find quality players, he would have landed a gig in the SL.

With all due respect to Fev, players of his quality shouldn't be consigned to park footy.

We're a bit better than park footy you know

Andy Ellis had offers from several SL sides, but chose to come to Fev, he's one of our full timers (works for the club's community dept).

Bloody good player too, was simply awesome last week. I guess he chose us because he wanted to play for a winning team, under an amazing coach.

good knowledge about Andy, distinct lack of knowledge about featherstone rovers. no disrespect.

Perhaps if you spoke to him he would tell you that the Fev club is as good as some of the S/L clubs at the bottom end and the set up is just as good with better coaching staff. When players choose championship clubs before S/L clubs it make you wonder what's gone wrong in the game

Gold coast who?

indeed the anti-Aussie bias on here is inexplicable.

Perhaps if you spoke to him he would tell you that the Fev club is as good as some of the S/L clubs at the bottom end and the set up is just as good with better coaching staff. When players choose championship clubs before S/L clubs it make you wonder what's gone wrong in the game

The answer is clearly that nothing has gone wrong wit the game. As we are frequently told, your club is aiming for SuperLeague, fully aware of what it has to do to get there and is putting everything in place to do that. The questionshould be " why wouldn't someone want to join such a well run, well funded forward looking and ambitious club?"

Respect?

Andy is at a great club with not only a long rich history but a hugely successful present (look at the records the last four years or so) and plans and ambition for the future. Andy is working full time, doing a smashing job, more than that he's playing well and is appreciated by an ever growing host of Fev fans.

To be honest i don't believe Agar rates the lad. I would've like to have seen him remain at the club but the guy who makes the decisions didn't. The distribution from acting half is noticeably slower this year but that said Aiton offers plenty too. He's good enough to be playing SL but if he's found somewhere he's happy who are we to argue.

I meant no disrespect to Fev. As a 2nd tier club, they are one of the best. But they are still 2nd tier, like the Qld cup (which is referred to as 'Park Footy' in Aus - sorry if the term caused offence).

But the UK's best talent should be playing in the top-tier comp. how was he not picked up by a club like Salford? IMO, he should be still playing SL

I meant no disrespect to Fev. As a 2nd tier club, they are one of the best. But they are still 2nd tier, like the Qld cup (which is referred to as 'Park Footy' in Aus - sorry if the term caused offence).

But the UK's best talent should be playing in the top-tier comp. how was he not picked up by a club like Salford? IMO, he should be still playing SL

Several SL clubs came in for him but he wanted to join us as we were willing to pay him more.

Tosser

Youve obviously never been to Featherstone, its like Sydney only better.

Just to be clear, is the Championship a meaningless competition without nothing to play for without promotion, or a meaningful enough competition that a good ambitious player would chose to play in it over Super League and be right to do so?

Moron

Seems a bit harsh. Obviously it's not exactly the same as Sydney.

Do Qld cup teams have ambitions to part of the NRL?

! am sure the likes of Scott Murrell, Andy Ellis, Martin Aspinwall, Sean Penkywicz, Luke Ambler could play at SL level but sadly there is not much money in SL and often players can earn more money having a day job and playing part time RUgby at Fev, Leigh, Halifax etc. Also a number of players have been caught out at clubs who have had money problems and may feel the insecure money offered in SL is not worth it. I would expect a number of SL players would struggle to get a mortgage or loan due to only having a 1 or 2 year contract which also likely is based on win bonus pay. Didnt Bryn Hargreaves mention this when he retired?

Seems a bit harsh. Obviously it's not exactly the same as Sydney.

tell me any place in the british isles that is.

Classy.

aye, but on this one I think gaz hits tge target dead centre!!!

You obviously have the miss-conception that the 14 teams in super league are in fact super, they are not. Most dont own there own grounds, there nearly all almost going bust, cant even afford to run a reserve team, and Rovers are probably paying more money

aye, but on this one I think gaz hits tge target dead centre!!!

The OP asked a perfectly valid question, which was also answered in a reasonable manner as to why he was at Fev.

The OP also clarified he meant no offence by how he worded his question.

So I'm not so sure Gaz did hit any target. There's no need for personal insults, there's far too much of it on here these days too.

Well yes gav, I tend to agree. But I did find the OP deeply patronising and disrespectful regardless of his last sentence.