Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D11

Barrow v Doncaster Teams

120 posts in this topic

What a totaly pointless comment, the work rate from barrow was immence and they never gave up. Holty can't be judged yet, for what I saw today the team lifted themselves from last weeks poor display, yes I was there. Please everyone focus on the positives they are there. We will improve we will stay up and we will have new floodlights

I have to disagree totally with you here, and i know i will face a backlash for saying this, but Holt has to go, and soon. This is not a dig at Holty, think he did a fantastic job last season, bringing together a team under the dark circumstances that surrounded the club following the Des debacle, and took a job that other coaches didnt want, for that i thank him wholeheartedly. However, i do feel he is out of his depth in this league, last seasons squad would have achieved promotion with a blind 3 legged donkey in the head oaches role, considering we were playing teams such as crusaders, scorpions, gateshead, skolars. This league is a totally different scenario, even more so now with the unfair dual reg system which is being operated. Holt is to contest against the likes of Powell, Harrison and Kear, all ex super league coaches, with squads far far stronger than ours. This season could be the death of us, dramatic i know, but since there is a verry strong possibility at the moment we could be facing the drop, with no players signed on for next season since we have been determined to only offer 1 year deals to al squad members, we will undoubtedly lose our 'better' players to teams that survive in CC. We then face the same scenario we had at the start of last season where we must hastily assemble a squad to compete, however this time the teams in CC1 have SL link ups whih we dont and can field stronger teams. Pride has come before the Raiders fall. With Feverstone next week, we could be facing a humiliating yet almost inevitable defeat, of which im sure many raiders fans wont travel to, since doing so is a pointless effort, especially in harsh financial times. Im not saying that a change of coach would prevent releation, but a more experienced coach would at least give us a fighting chance, a coah who may swalow his pride and forge a link up with a SL club so that we too can jump on the Dual Reg bandwagon rather than trying to struggle against the current. Someone give Brian Noble a ring, for Raiders sake....

And the money to pay for this super coach comes from where?

As for sacking Holty let's look at the facts.

Last year from nothing he assembled a squad that got us promoted in style. So far this year we have had one heavy defeat and another where we had very little rub of the green. Don't you think that the guy deserves a bit of loyalty for his efforts down the years?

Yes, it's going to be a difficult year we all knew that before a ball was kicked. I still think that we will settle down and start picking up as the season progresses.

Now is the time for everyone to stick together, back the board, coaches and team.

Your Absolutely right bearman we just never got the bounce of the ball today and i also think the ref was poor

Well what can you say...huge improvement on last week, I thought great defence, a good completion rate for the conditions and how can you play expansive rugby in a mud bath. All you calling for Holty to go..take a step back and think about what your saying! Knowledge comes with experience, he has been one of the greats in Barrows history and deserves the chance to prove himself in this league. Lets make the judgement when Barrow can play the game we are famous for. I ask all of you don't give up after two games as we the fans are more loyal than that. Nobody said this season was going to be easy and without the links with Superdooper league it is going to be even harder but do we want it to be easy or do we praise the players when they have a good game and go wild when they have a great game?

You all know i can be one of the biggest critics with the off-field goings on but i will back holty and the guys to the bitter end. As an ex director i can honestly say, not making excuses but if i never see Hewer at Barrow again I would be a happy man!

Well what can you say...huge improvement on last week, I thought great defence, a good completion rate for the conditions and how can you play expansive rugby in a mud bath. All you calling for Holty to go..take a step back and think about what your saying! Knowledge comes with experience, he has been one of the greats in Barrows history and deserves the chance to prove himself in this league. Lets make the judgement when Barrow can play the game we are famous for. I ask all of you don't give up after two games as we the fans are more loyal than that. Nobody said this season was going to be easy and without the links with Superdooper league it is going to be even harder but do we want it to be easy or do we praise the players when they have a good game and go wild when they have a great game?

You all know i can be one of the biggest critics with the off-field goings on but i will back holty and the guys to the bitter end. As an ex director i can honestly say, not making excuses but if i never see Hewer at Barrow again I would be a happy man!

Plus 1

As i initially said, i am not having a dig at Holty, think he has done a great job for the us as a club in the past, both on the field and off it as in his capacity formally as a player and now as coach, especially since he took over at the most difficult time in the clubs recent history, and i thank him wholeheartedly for his effort in the past and his contunuing effort. However, having said that, with ul respect to Holty, and to Soss, who raised the point the konwledge comes with experience, i dont believe that in this cut throat world of sport, especially considering that the possible future of Barrow RLFC is at stake here, i dont feel that we, as a club can afford to stand by and let Holty gain experience, possibly at the detriment of the team. I would like to see the club take in a 'techincal director' or 'performance manager', or whatever role the board wish to give that person, in the form of an experienced coach to help guide the team through this difficult period. Under an experienced coach, Holty and Acky could further develop their caching abilities, in a vicarious manner, with a long term view of taking over the reigns yet again at some point in the future. Bearman asked where this money would come from? Why not use the floodlight fund, since, if we are relegated we dont need to improve the floodlights for CC1, since im sure that the 2-3 trevelling gateshead, hemel, coventery fans wont appreciate them anyway.

Until such time as changes are made, i will continue to throw myweight beind the Barrow Raiders cause and support/respect Holty and his decisions, however i am thinking proactivly rather than reactivly, because with Sheffield, Fev, Batley, Leigh and Fax waiting in the wings for us, its gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better for us.

Most will say I am negative however the problem lies with knowledge of how things work behind the games which changes thoughts to realism.

Funding is required for floodlights,and the shortfall from lack of funds raised during 2012. There is also an increase to the total players salary for 2013 which unfortunatly the board of directors must make as a gamble due to the fact that they will or should look carefully at the possible numbers through the gates and sponsorship as these are the main streams of income for any club. So far we have had a bad start with only a few frendlies and low gate numbers compared to last year which will have a massive financial impact. More serious is we have had a bad start to the season with a loss away and a loss at home with probability of even worse results to come over the next few weeks. Darren has and im sure will continue to do the best with what he has in front of him but he knows that he is also up against clubs with connections with super league clubs. My fear is that the none hard core fans will fall off leaving low gates and low income. sponsorship is difficult for any buisness during 2013 due to the economic climate were in and possibly the floodlight fund will end up being used to pay for the players to see the season through which will undoubtadly see relegation back to CC1.

so....and I hate myself for saying it but should we link up now or not ? head says yes heart says no but we need help on the pitch.....teams will now come to craven park half expecting to win before a ball is kicked.

As for next week at Fev :(

so....and I hate myself for saying it but should we link up now or not ? head says yes heart says no but we need help on the pitch.....teams will now come to craven park half expecting to win before a ball is kicked.

As for next week at Fev :(

Yes we should, simple as. Weve made our statement by trying to go solo, and credit to the BoD and Holty for the belief in the squad, but it is misspent belief. We are not good enough and therefore need to link up with a SL squad to supplement us. Had we gone with Warrington, we could have had Shaw back before he signed a full time deal with the Lions. But its not too late - Leeds, Wigan, Warrington or Huddersfield will do me nicely. Come on BoD, make the call, give us a fighting chance, we need every one weve got at the moment.

I thought the effort today from the lads was good,however I'm not real sure that will be enough to save us this season?

Harder pitches may suit us,we will just have to hope so.

Thing is we have had a bad start,todays result was bad enough but Hunslet were walloped 40-0 at Leigh and with Fev away next week things are going to get worse before they get better!

Plus points were our defence was good especially on our try line and I thought the forwards all went really well,they got some lucky breaks but we gave away some stupid penalties and they cost us.

I refuse to blame the officials,it's not them who stand offside is it?

No its not the officials who stand offside, BUT, decissions by the touch judge on the popular side in the second half certainly didnt help. When it looked as though we had scored under the sticks from a chip over the top, Hewer was ready to give the try but he (TJ) signalled for offside. A few minutes later when one of our players was put through a gap by a perfectly good pass ( right in front of where we were standing) he said it was a forward pass. Absolutely no way !!! Then in the build up to Donnys last try, there was a blatant forward pass ( again right in front of us ) and suprise suprise, he ignored it.

His bad decissions robbed us of a possible 12 points, and gave Donny 4 points which they should never have had.

No its not the officials who stand offside, BUT, decissions by the touch judge on the popular side in the second half certainly didnt help. When it looked as though we had scored under the sticks from a chip over the top, Hewer was ready to give the try but he (TJ) signalled for offside. A few minutes later when one of our players was put through a gap by a perfectly good pass ( right in front of where we were standing) he said it was a forward pass. Absolutely no way !!! Then in the build up to Donnys last try, there was a blatant forward pass ( again right in front of us ) and suprise suprise, he ignored it.

His bad decissions robbed us of a possible 12 points, and gave Donny 4 points which they should never have had.

I think that you will find these decisions usually even themselves out over the season southsider,yesterday Donny got the luck with the bounce of the ball and the decisions,that's the way it goes sometimes I'm afraid.

No matter how much whining about the officials you do it won't change the score,no matter how frustrating it is?

firstly credit to both sides playing in that weather on the worst ive ever seen the Craven Park pitch.

second in reference to Barrow cannot fault the commitment and effort but we lack any imagination going forward and anyone who thinks we are going to be alright when the pitches get firmer are mistaken as our backline hasnt got any pace.

I hope I am wrong but I really fear another 2005 :O .......all in my opinion of course

I take it you weren't at Barrow's first home match of "summer" rugby Lee when we played South Wales in 1996. The weather that night was absolutely appalling (high winds, rain, sleet, snow and low temperatures). That was the worst I have ever witnessed and yesterday was a heatwave by comparison (I kid you not).

Just watched the video highlights Kev.

The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer).

The pass which puts Kurt H through the gap is definitely NOT forward (there is a line on the pitch which is a good guide).

The last Donny try I too (at the time) thought involved a forward but the killer pass isn't captured on the video.

The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer who wasn't offside).

The pass which puts Kurt H through the gap is definitely NOT forward (there is a line on the pitch which is a good guide).

The last Donny try I too (at the time) thought involved a forward but the killer pass isn't captured on the video.

no Keith I wasnt there that night so I'll take your word for it.

I hope the pitch can recover in time for the Batley game tho ?

Lee

I take it you weren't at Barrow's first home match of "summer" rugby Lee when we played South Wales in 1996. The weather that night was absolutely appalling (high winds, rain, sleet, snow and low temperatures). That was the worst I have ever witnessed and yesterday was a heatwave by comparison (I kid you not).

I remember that,was it a Friday night match Keith?

I think Hugh Waddell played for South Wales then and signed for us after that?

Any chance of the teams/crowd figure?

I think those were dark days back then weren't they?

The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer).

Now then Keith,i wasnt in a good position to see the first incident, i only heard the reactions of the specys who could,so thats why i didnt comment on whether it was right or not. I'm glad you agreed with me on the KH pass,and its a shame that the third incident wasnt captured on video, cos it was a blatant forward.

I meant to say earlier that overall Donny probably deserved to win,the deciding factor imho was one Paul Cook.

Any truth that Holty is so desperate for 3 points that he's confessed to driving Chris Huhne's car ?

the pitch looks knackered on highlights. rub of the green defo didnt go our way. isnt if funny when in most games lines men or touch judges hardly raise an eyebrow or flag for 80mins but when they come to craven park they always seem to want to add their view on the game which always seems to be against barrow. he missed a high tackle and a knock on right under his feet but 30 secs later pulls us rightly for a high tackle.

Any truth that Holty is so desperate for 3 points that he's confessed to driving Chris Huhne's car ?

Oooooo harsh mate....but funny all the same

Its a long season, ok we have not had a great start so far and will get soundly beaten next weekend at Fev (Unless the players have a point to prove) ;)

We have already signed up our squad, let them play and develop together, as long as we stay up its Mission Accomplished is it not ? We will get better and might add an unhappy player or 2 who get left out of whatever team because of this Dual REG system (IF WE WANT TO THAT IS)

The Floodlight money should not be used for anything else , period.

Its a long season, ok we have not had a great start so far and will get soundly beaten next weekend at Fev (Unless the players have a point to prove) ;)

We have already signed up our squad, let them play and develop together, as long as we stay up its Mission Accomplished is it not ? We will get better and might add an unhappy player or 2 who get left out of whatever team because of this Dual REG system (IF WE WANT TO THAT IS)

The Floodlight money should not be used for anything else , period.

What is the point in having new floodlights if there is a possibility of lack of cash to see the season through :wacko:

whats the point of floodlights if we get relegated to the league of death.....after all has a budget been set for gates of less than 500 because thats probably what will happen !