Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

Melbourne storm....

51 posts in this topic

If the issues are pushed they'll just be accepted as ok. The implications are pretty huge if there has been systematic doping in their game.

im going to the WCC.....and shall be starting a "cheats,cheats,cheats" chant

nah...he's just a massive islander....

i think that the players under suspicion are'nt going to be current test or origin players....more likely "fringe" players looking for a boost

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-star-stood-down-over-drug-claims/story-fndujljl-1226575646967

AUSTRALIA'S sports scandal has claimed its first victim, with NSWRL boss Geoff Carr tonight confirming that a player has been stood-down following an allegation of illicit drug use.

News Limited has learned the player's club was supplied with information by a third party and has not recorded a positive test.

It's also understood the player is not a big name, having spent the majority of his senior career in NSW Cup.

its understood to be curtis johnston....a north sydney bears player

00142896_Image.jpeg

Sorry to disappoint, but the Storm aren't even being investigated anymore.

10 of the 16 NRL clubs have been cleared of any wrong doing but 6 have been named and are still being investigated.

Sea Eagles, Sharks, Cowboys, Panthers, Raiders and the Knights are the clubs still in trouble.

http://www.foxsports...75#.URnjY6V3a9Y - if you want to read the article on this topic.

and british players and clubs have been squeaky clean with drug use??? remember the hull fc doping scandal???

In the close game at Wembley in the last four nations Australia got one try where a forward, Williams I think was his name, just ran at and completely obliterated Heighlington , I mean just steamrollered him. Nothing skillful or clever, just brute strength and aggression. Now the Aussie forward in question is a big powerful runner but it makes you wonder if any drug assisted strength was involved in that.

Heighington is an Aussie. How do we know he wasn't drug assisted?

and british players and clubs have been squeaky clean with drug use??? remember the hull fc doping scandal???

Difference being the RFL caught them out (see Terry Newton HGH also). People will try to cheat the system. Less will succeed if we let them.

The RFL were vigorous. The ARL apparently not.

I'd love to agree but all the drugs in the world won't make you a better footballer.

Absolutely rubbish (unless you mean literally taking all the drugs in the world, which of course would kill you!).

Physiology is a huge part of being an RL player. Any physiological benefits would make you a far better RL player. It's not the only factor, and just being big wont make you an RL great, but it certainly will help. There's a reason why they spend so long in the gym.

Absolutely rubbish (unless you mean literally taking all the drugs in the world, which of course would kill you!).

Physiology is a huge part of being an RL player. Any physiological benefits would make you a far better RL player. It's not the only factor, and just being big wont make you an RL great, but it certainly will help. There's a reason why they spend so long in the gym.

Taking drugs will give you the skills and brain of Darren Lockyer or Jonathan Thurston will it? Cos its guys like these which is why we have kept losing.

Unless you are arguing that RL is purely a game of bash and barge with no other skills st all?

Taking drugs will give you the skills and brain of Darren Lockyer or Jonathan Thurston will it? Cos its guys like these which is why we have kept losing.

Unless you are arguing that RL is purely a game of bash and barge with no other skills st all?

Are you denying that physicality has any bearing on matches?

Maybe this game should be shelved, its a non event for Australians.

If a team has to travel around the World in their NRL build up to play a game that barely rates with anyone back home only to be called cheats and have insinuations they are drug cheats. why bother coming?

This game is custom built for SL Clubs and their fans as a promotional game for the English Club/fans benefit.

If it was scrapped nobody in Australia would realise it until 2019.

Test them, Boo them call then cheats and see what happens, some time ago where they sent a near reserve grade team over.

Of course not but if it was purely down to physicality we would have beaten them before now.

Is Sam Burgess, Graham, Ellis or Roby not physically as good as their Australian counterparts?

If they are, does that mean they are on the Juice or just "naturally" better specimens.

Maybe this game should be shelved, its a non event for Australians.

If a team has to travel around the World in their NRL build up to play a game that barely rates with anyone back home only to be called cheats and have insinuations they are drug cheats. why bother coming?

This game is custom built for SL Clubs and their fans as a promotional game for the English Club/fans benefit.

If it was scrapped nobody in Australia would realise it until 2019.

Test them, Boo them call then cheats and see what happened some time ago where they sent a near reserve grade team over.

Give over, you seriously expect no-one to ask questions? Talk about taking your bat and ball home.

Its ok for you to constantly trash the UK game but not to respond to these drug allegations - which are nothing to do with us?

The Lockyers, Thurstons, Smiths and Cronks are why we haven't come close in the last decade or so. None are lightning quick, none are exceptionally strong, Smith does have exceptional stamina yes but that's the only feature of these four players which generally physical.

These four players just think better than us, they are tactically better. Every pass, kick and play they do is done properly and well thought out. Running at the line and picking out the pass which puts someone through a gap doesn't take performance enhancing drugs, neither does choosing an early kick when your pack is struggling and getting you 50 60m up field or choosing when to run out of dummy half for easy metres.

These are the aspects the Aussies are better than us at. You don't see Aussies generally beating us for all out speed or strength.

(Tony Williams on Chris Heighington in 2011 4N was Aussie on Aussie and very poor tackling technique)

Give over, you seriously expect no-one to ask questions? Talk about taking your bat and ball home.

Its ok for you to constantly trash the UK game but not to respond to these drug allegations - which are nothing to do with us?

Seriously?

The drug allegations have been beaten up beyond belief, it has tarnished everyone involved in the game without any evidence put forward.

No doubt there are Drug cheats in the NRL, all top line sports have this issue and power/strength sports are more likely to have problems.

Cycling has major issues World wide, Many of the Olympic sports have issues.

Its a World wide issue.

My Comments were aimed at the Roughyheadspud, I think he meant cheats for what the Storm did with the salary cap more than Drugs.

If you think England has a good drug testing system and no one is taking supplements then I think you may be naive.

Its across the World in many Sports, every player or team wants an edge.

I am only replying to your post and not having a go at you Mate, I do realise you have posted many things that I agree with since this came out.

Its already been widely reported that the Storm do not have any case to answer.

When I have a whinge about SL Teams it is more from disappointment than anything else.

I would love a competitive Test series.

I would love a bigger neutral WCC series (if it was competitive)

Would I care if England won the World Cup? I would love it if it was on the field and they played better, it would be great for the game.

I worry that the English game domestically is in big trouble, that is not good for Rugby League in general.

Soft options with importing Aussie mediocrity that has at times have players that looked like star players that worries me even more.

I loved the Kangaroo tours of old (I know they will not ever come back) I saw the English teams in a different light (I was young) Castleford sounded like a challenging team as did Hull, Wigan was the "fourth Test".

No point living in the past but those days are gone and if things do not change Rugby League will become like Squash or Ten Pin Bowling in the UK if you are like Oz, sports that have withered on the Vine and the fans and participants have moved on.

I may be thin skinned but my response is to this.

(1) simple question really....

are UKAD drug testers allowed to pee & blood test the Melbourne storm players when they arrive in the country??

(2) loads of them where necking E's during the 2000 world cup

(3) im going to the WCC.....and shall be starting a "cheats,cheats,cheats" chant

Why would you bother for a pre season game that if you win nobody at home even knows you have played it besides your family members and if you lose you are ###### and some team that came fifth in their local League can have bragging rights over you for the knobs that believe it.?

Why will nobody at home know about it though?

Do you think if AFL had a similar game, they wouldn't be milking it to the max?

Acting as though no-one gives a toss about the game is not only disrespectful to us, its hardly a smart move for showing the game has other things to offer.

I hope we get no snide comments towards the storm because they are the finest rugby side around.

I may be thin skinned but my response is to this.

(1) simple question really....

are UKAD drug testers allowed to pee & blood test the Melbourne storm players when they arrive in the country??

(2) loads of them where necking E's during the 2000 world cup

(3) im going to the WCC.....and shall be starting a "cheats,cheats,cheats" chant

Why would you bother for a pre season game that if you win nobody at home even knows you have played it besides your family members and if you lose you are ###### and some team that came fifth in their local League can have bragging rights over you for the knobs that believe it.?

I suggest you read up and get your facts straight on this story, until the complete details are revealed it's all speculation at this point as to how many players are using performance enhancing drugs so far a reserve grader who I've never heard of is the only player to be announced, other than the 11 NRL teams including the Storm being cleared of any doping barely any info has been released, it could be a whole team doping or it could end up being just a reserve grader, we don't know at this point, they're keeping it very quiet and I've heard it could be even months before we get a conclusion, to label all NRL players drug cheats is quite ignorant in my opinion, you can start a cheat, cheat chant all you want, the Melbourne Storm are more than used to it, they received that chant for about 2 seasons straight for the last couple of seasons after the whole cheating the salary cap thing, i'm pretty sure I even chanted it when they played my team, so I don't think it will bother them, I would save your breath and focus more on your Beer & Chips to be honest.

I would be stunned if Australian players whether Internationally or at Club level didn't get tested when they played in England, so maybe they will have to give a Urine Test, they surely will for the World Cup this year, they've been doing that for years in the NRL and it's hard to think of many cases, former Australian international Reni Maitua is the one that springs to mind and a few positive tests of Cocaine.

Sharks, Cowboys, Panthers, Raiders and the Knights are the clubs still in trouble, 2 of those 5 teams didn't make the finals last year and those clubs don't produce a whole lot of International players either.

http://www.foxsports...75#.URnjY6V3a9Y - if you want to read the article on this topic.

11 NRL teams including the Storm being cleared of any doping

Not accused != cleared.

Not accused != cleared.

I don't completely get your point, are you saying the clubs haven't been cleared yet of wrong doing because the headline doing the rounds at the moment reads "Manly Sea Eagles cleared by the Australian Anti-Doping Authority" the other 10 clubs have also been cleared of wrong doing.

Read for yourself: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/david-perry-claims-manly-sea-eagles-have-been-cleared-by-the-australian-anti-doping-authority/story-fn2mcuj6-1226576423239#.URpm8aV3a9Y

I don't completely get your point, are you saying the clubs haven't been cleared yet of wrong doing because the headline doing the rounds at the moment reads "Manly Sea Eagles cleared by the Australian Anti-Doping Authority" the other 10 clubs have also been cleared of wrong doing.

Read for yourself: http://www.foxsports...39#.URpm8aV3a9Y

Melbourne were very good at covering up salary cap breaches,could be the same with doping.

Melbourne were very good at covering up salary cap breaches,could be the same with doping.

If they were good at covering up Salary Cap Breaches they wouldn't of been caught would they?