Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

Six Nations Envy

104 posts in this topic

To be fair, 7-8 years ago Sev was coming out with stuff like that.

It may not be how RL fans see it but coming straight from RU, RL can appear that way. I don't think the TV cameras help as they tend to zoom in on the PTB and you can't see the movement in the line.

The thing about international rugby union is that it's a try fest. The players are so skilful that they can breeze through defences.not only that because they are so good they never give away penalties. They know that would result in 3 points being scored and the games would end up being decided by who has got the best kicker.

Yesterday's Ireland v England game was a good example of one of the best nuanced game there has ever been.

If you don't understand the nuances how can any of you possibly comment?

The thing about international rugby union is that it's a try fest. The players are so skilful that they can breeze through defences.not only that because they are so good they never give away penalties. They know that would result in 3 points being scored and the games would end up being decided by who has got the best kicker.

Yesterday's Ireland v England game was a good example of one of the best nuanced game there has ever been.

:D

International games need to be played and kept with no matter what the scorelines are. Italy are part and parcel of the Six Nations now dispite hardly troubling the top of the table with regards to postion. No Exiles is a start. Wales could play France to see who plays England maybe??

And I'be seen GB at Twickenham and I had a whole block to myself!

Lucky you.

I was next to some weird people called "Austrayans".

International games need to be played and kept with no matter what the scorelines are. Italy are part and parcel of the Six Nations now dispite hardly troubling the top of the table with regards to postion. No Exiles is a start. Wales could play France to see who plays England maybe??

So you want persistence, yet you also want to chop one of the few games England has straight away?

why do you think there was 50k empty seats at wembley? maybe because it was played in london where the local team can only manage to get 2-3k averages of there own, why are we playing these games at wembley/millennium, when it would make more sense to play these games at old trafford/elland road, closer to where all the supporters are, What is wrong with this idea??????

You do realise there's a huge flaw in your logic here...?

50k empty seats still means there were over 40k there.

How come a team that averages 15k could only muster 5k more fans for the equivalent fixture two years prior?

That's what's wring with that idea. People WANT to go to Wembley every now and then. Same as Cardiff.

Taking the Mick is probably the best we can do against the facts, and the facts are they have a monster competition.

I watched Ireland/England with a friend in Worcester and he's union through and through. It's his game, he grew up with it and he was engrossed with the tussle.

How "good" a game intrinsically is can be argued but what cannot be argued is the attendances for Wales RU.v.England RU and Wales RL.v.England RL etc etc.

The importance of International RL was not lost on the RFL, Catalans came into Superleague and Crusaders came into SL for the very purpose of at least trying to get back to the RL three nations I last watched in the 1970's.

This was the best possible plan for International RL to have professional players from the three countries taking competitive RL from the club scene up to the International stage.

It collapsed as there wasn't the money in Wales and weren't the players in France. In theory International RL should be a priority, in practice Superleague is all we really have as a flagship for the game apart from the Tri-Nations, again something the RFL pushed. A close game between NZ/Aus/England in front of a big crowd is something we can manage from time to time and people do sit up and take note.

The RFL have been trying hard since 2006 to get quality RL on the international stage, but then again they are fools and messed up big time even thinking about Crusaders.

Comment on the BBC website:

'ray207

4 Minutes ago

Rugby league faster and more exciting than Union? Get a grip, you stop the game every 10 seconds and then even hand the ball meekly over to the opposition after six tackles. you tell me when you have seen a rugby league game where you can have ten minutes of non stop action with all the ferocity and commitment or rucks and mauls.'

:lol:

Dearie me. :D If Rugby League is "stop-start", give me that, rather than "stop-stop" any day.

really? And not a penny would be spent on the internatiinal game?

It is not the responsibility of the of the RFL, NZRL. ARL to fund other national governing bodies nor should it be. Have a glabal governing body of the sport that is truly represented by the major nations and extend it as such. That body can organise competitions for profit and have a levy on the profits going to developing RL in regions that have genuine interest.

Comment on the BBC website:

'ray207

4 Minutes ago

Rugby league faster and more exciting than Union? Get a grip, you stop the game every 10 seconds and then even hand the ball meekly over to the opposition after six tackles. you tell me when you have seen a rugby league game where you can have ten minutes of non stop action with all the ferocity and commitment or rucks and mauls.'

:lol:

This Ray probably believes in God aswell.

why do you think there was 50k empty seats at wembley? maybe because it was played in london where the local team can only manage to get 2-3k averages of there own, why are we playing these games at wembley/millennium, when it would make more sense to play these games at old trafford/elland road, closer to where all the supporters are, What is wrong with this idea??????

What was the difference in attendence of Magic weekends in Cardiff/ Edinburgh compared to the on in Manchester? It shows location may not make much difference it could also be argued playing a game at Wembly/MS creates more interest. The other factor is that internationals seem to be more enthusiastically supported (in relative terms) than those in west yorks and Humberside

It is not the responsibility of the of the RFL, NZRL. ARL to fund other national governing bodies nor should it be. Have a glabal governing body of the sport that is truly represented by the major nations and extend it as such. That body can organise competitions for profit and have a levy on the profits going to developing RL in regions that have genuine interest.

My point is that I'm not convinced that the money would just go simply to the three organisations.

I would expect at least a share going to the RLIF - but that could easily be a pipe dream!

Is that 10% of gate receipts? Or 10% of the profit?

My point is that I'm not convinced that the money would just go simply to the three organisations.

I would expect at least a share going to the RLIF - but that could easily be a pipe dream!

If it does the RLIF would have to show greater transparency.

Well that is a very good deal for the RLIF I would say.

Being Welsh I joined my mates in watching Framce v. Wales in my local pub. I was bored and so too were some of my Union friends Today out of curiosity I started watching Ireland v, England. I was so bored that I urned off at half time. Yet the game was watched live by 80,00 + lemmings.

Wigan V Warrington was so superior that there was no comparison.

I urge fans to make every effort to watch a live Rugby League game.

Well said and although I have not watched anything other than snippets of union in over twenty ( very very biggoted ) years! I have to confirm that I could never have agreed otherwise than with what you state, which applies now as it ever did were Union is concerned.

As I stated, I am in no position to be so critical but what little I have seen in recent times there is, apart from a better fitness display, otherwise very little difference in the union game of today today and that of years ago, it still remains generally , an absolute kickathon and a roll about exercise in tedium.

In the interests of fairness it should be said that the conditions in Dublin were atrocious and I'm pretty sure a league test would have been a pretty dour affair with loads of one out stuff and predictable last tackle options. No fan of union am I, especially England union, but it may just be that the victory against NZ may not have been a flash in the pan. It's probably something to do with buying in the Farrell clan - and having a northerner as head coach - but they seem to have finally figured out that's it's quite a good idea having forwards who are comfortable catching the ball and carry it with the intention of winning the collision i.e. keeping their legs pumping at impact and trying like billy-o to stay on their feet as long as possible.

I noticed in the BBC commentary they've now added "line speed" to "big hit" and "offload". The list of appropriated rugby league terminology grows.

Offload and line speed fair enough but "bit hit" is generic, I've heard it used in American football.

Offload and line speed fair enough but "bit hit" is generic, I've heard it used in American football.

So Jack Gibson stole it first? Union can't even do their own larceny! A few more for the list:

"Winning the collision" and I assume "choke tackle" it's cribbed from the NRL wrestling handbook. :rolleyes:

Well said and although I have not watched anything other than snippets of union in over twenty ( very very biggoted ) years! I have to confirm that I could never have agreed otherwise than with what you state, which applies now as it ever did were Union is concerned.

As I stated, I am in no position to be so critical but what little I have seen in recent times there is, apart from a better fitness display, otherwise very little difference in the union game of today today and that of years ago, it still remains generally , an absolute kickathon and a roll about exercise in tedium.

and yet thousands lap it up.

I played tge game for many years and loved it. I much prefer watching league.

We may be in a tiny minority but there's no arguing that union presents a polished article that the masses love.

It's not a new thing in the international game either. I remember struggling to get tickets for England games in the 70's!

So Jack Gibson stole it first? Union can't even do their own larceny! A few more for the list:

"Winning the collision" and I assume "choke tackle" it's cribbed from the NRL wrestling handbook. :rolleyes:

Les Kiss intoduced it to the Ireland national squad whilst being their defence coach. So I suspect he coined the term.

We may be in a tiny minority but there's no arguing that union presents a polished article that the masses love.

It presents a polished something all right. But even when a match is so bad that the game's most reliable cheerleaders are forced to admit it is a poor spectacle, still the crowds come back for more in their tens of thousands.

It's pretty amazing, really.