Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

Why stop the biff

26 posts in this topic

It's occurred to me that stopping the biff in games is actually harming the game. As people are now following MMA in their droves why are we trying to turn our game into something it is not.

The more the referee's give silly pedantic penalty's and send people off for a bit of fisticuffs the more they are actually turning people off the sport.

If we want our professional athletes to go the way of footballers and start trying to win penalty's then we just carry on as we are. However if we let more go then our players will stay playing the game as men, and not lower themselves to petty acts

Probably so it doesn't filter down to under 8's who think it's ok to punch someone in the face after they've played the ball.

Probably so it doesn't filter down to under 8's who think it's ok to punch someone in the face after they've played the ball.

Which happens anyway!

The jury is out on this one! Handbag swipes, sly play, thuggery, a bit of biff, where do you draw the line. One 'minor' punch can lead to a mass brawl.

I'm all for one on one, yes this leads to a few others joining in, that's life....... It's a mans game, it doesn't need the hand baggers running in who don't actually join in, stand there acting, makes me pisssss

It's occurred to me that stopping the biff in games is actually harming the game. As people are now following MMA in their droves why are we trying to turn our game into something it is not.

The more the referee's give silly pedantic penalty's and send people off for a bit of fisticuffs the more they are actually turning people off the sport.

If we want our professional athletes to go the way of footballers and start trying to win penalty's then we just carry on as we are. However if we let more go then our players will stay playing the game as men, and not lower themselves to petty acts

Agreed, bring back the biff!!!!

325569682a3146995937b277961139l.jpg

The jury is out on this one! Handbag swipes, sly play, thuggery, a bit of biff, where do you draw the line. One 'minor' punch can lead to a mass brawl.

and look at the state of origin now

Just to be clear, anyone who specifically gives up rugby league for MMA was never a rugby fan anyway.

If fighting is more important to someone than ball handling, running, kicking, wearing down defences, and actual rugby then it is amazing they ever watched it in the first place.

Fighting is such a small part of our game that in most matches it does happen anyway. But when it does it is nowhere near a standard that will be of interested to fans of boxing or martial arts.

nowt wrong with the odd scrap...but when the decend into actual running battles after every other play the ball and start calling each other out for fights..like these

then thats when it gets silly..

Like it or not it is the first thing that will grab the attention of kids watching on tv. There seems to have been a huge reduction in brawls in recent years. The balance is prob about right. Maybe each side cpuld nominate one player for a half time regulared fight ha.

Maybe each side cpuld nominate one player for a half time regulared fight ha.

You've seen this year's NHL then?

If fighting is more important to someone than ball handling, running, kicking, wearing down defences, and actual rugby then it is amazing they ever watched it in the first place.

This.

If I want to watch fat men hit each other I'll go into Chesham on a Saturday night. I watch rugby for the rugby.

The quickest way to cut off the supply of new players is to give parents the impression that the sport they are taking their child to play is one step removed from brawling in the street.

The quickest way to cut off the supply of new players is to give parents the impression that the sport they are taking their child to play is one step removed from brawling in the street.

Saying that, there are some horribly abusive parents around at junior rugby.

As a former kids' coach, I can assure you that the last thing that most parents and junior players want to see or experience is bullying and punching.

Quite right too.

Saying that, there are some horribly abusive parents around at junior rugby.

This will also put off otherparents

If people are genuinely more interested in bare fist boxing than rugby they are following rugby for the wrong reasons.

Cleaning up the sport in this way has been partly responsible for the increase in popularity. The same has happned in other sports.

Rugby players already play for penalties and have done for a long time, it is clearly not as prevalent as in football but it has been there for decades.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good punch up at a match, but wouldn't want to see it happen every week

That video of Tonga is disgusting. Particularly at the 2:24 mark with Tonga's 14 swinging at a man that clearly can't hit back.

As a heated physical contest fights are almost guaranteed to break out once in a while and as a fan I must admit I lap it up. However it should always be punished aggressively and clamped down on. As has already been said it's a contact sport not a combat sport and anything that breaks the rules shouldn't be encouraged.

I don't want it to turn into all out fight but is it a coincidence that there is just as many views for rugby league fights as there is rugby league hits on YouTube.

theres always a bit of biff lkely to happen in a contact sport and as long as it does not get back to the old days of thugby league then no problem the things i object to are the cheap shots like attacks to the head disguised as shoulder charges . the odd punch thrown i can live with .

the fans like to see a bit of it as can be proven whenever a yorkshire team takes on a team from the dark side and theres a bit of biff thats when the chants of yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire go up

The existing fans might like but what about those that we might like to recruit?

I must admit that I also enjoy it but I wish that I did not. Rugby is a tough enough game when it is played by the rules without throwing punches. I know that a bit f that is inevitable given the nature of the game but it should not be encouraged.

The existing fans might like but what about those that we might like to recruit?

I must admit that I also enjoy it but I wish that I did not. Rugby is a tough enough game when it is played by the rules without throwing punches. I know that a bit f that is inevitable given the nature of the game but it should not be encouraged.

im not encouraging it but i understand that in a contact sport especially one as physical as rugby league then its bound to happen unless we change the game to tag rugby .

if you want to see players especially forwards who by the nature of the game have to dominate there opponent by force as thats what good hard tackling really is then of course theres going to be a reaction from time to time after all we dont want to watch touch and pass do we ?.

im not encouraging it but i understand that in a contact sport especially one as physical as rugby league then its bound to happen unless we change the game to tag rugby .

if you want to see players especially forwards who by the nature of the game have to dominate there opponent by force as thats what good hard tackling really is then of course theres going to be a reaction from time to time after all we dont want to watch touch and pass do we ?.

No, I agree that the referees need to bear this in mind but rugby league shouldn't be ice hockey.

I remember a quote from an NHL official satyrising the attitude that he objected to within his sport thus "I went to a fight today and a hockey game broke out".