Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Theo Fages stopped breathing on the pitch after being concussed by Julian Bousquet.

56 posts in this topic

If Bousqets can get away with potentially lethal thuggery like that in a televised game, god help the poor sods playing in Yorkshire division four.

The RFL has basically offered a green light to every thug/coward up and down the UK to commit potentially tragic acts of thuggery. Theo would've been better off reporting the incident to the police.

Watching that incident and then reading about some of the stuff that goes on in the grassroots of the game, why would any sane and responsible parent direct their kids towards rugby league right now?

If Bousqets can get away with potentially lethal thuggery like that in a televised game, god help the poor sods playing in Yorkshire division four.

The RFL has basically offered a green light to every thug/coward up and down the UK to commit potentially tragic acts of thuggery. Theo would've been better off reporting the incident to the police.

Watching that incident and then reading about some of the stuff that goes on in the grassroots of the game, why would any sane and responsible parent direct their kids towards rugby league right now?

please, do me a favour - it was a bad hit end of. Hardly mass genocide ! It was quite mild in comparison some challenges made by the likes of Hock, Morley, Peacock and other such thugs - the Elima hit on Jonny Lomax at the GB a few seasons back was far worse for example...

The main thing is that he learns from his mistake which La Fray will hopefully help him with and of course that Theo is back playing asap

Talk of bringing in the old bill is a joke - grow up mate, it's a mans game, that's why we love it so much !

It's a man's game? Do me a favour.

Bousqets didn't behave like a man, he behaved like a coward and a thug.

A four match suspension for a blatant act of thuggery that could've had a tragic outcome is risible.

I personally don't think 4 games is enough

The banding for the offence (rightly or wrongly) was 3-5 games. Presumably his guilty plea knocked a game off

The banding for the offence (rightly or wrongly) was 3-5 games. Presumably his guilty plea knocked a game off

It's the banding I find fault with. I assume it wasn't 5 because he got sent off so early in the games as well.

We need to get tough on foul play and this wasn't a mistimed tackle it was far too late for that.

how can a 'result not really be in doubt' when 12 men are forced (by their own making) of playing against 13 men for 77 minutes of a game between two professional teams ? Fact is the Cats were well re organised by Lo Fray and the Reds playing tactics were well off the mark - I can probably think of maybe only three times when Salford actually tried to stretch play to the wings with the man advantage for example ?

good turnout from the Salford fans - really well behaved as usual at the GB and a real credit to their club - pity their teams performance was so appalling.....

Prior to the 1st game of the camapaign Salford had lost 10 players and recruited only 1.Some players were jettisoned apparently for financial reasons and it seems one or two others wanted to be jettisoned.This over a large part of the last campaign and in the off-season when the club faced a winding-up order and so the remaining players endured a particularly stressful period.Just before the first game 3 new players had to be assimilated into the team.Not only a stressful period of time,a new spine to the side,and then a largely young set of players have to stand-by while a life threatening incident is played out over 8 minutes in time and like yourself I really wonder why the reasons outlined didn't lead to a performance at the optimum level from Salford against the 2 top four sides the fixtures threw at them :rolleyes:

Nice to see how gracious you are in victory.

Hope they add extra games to the ban. I wouldn't object to a doubling up exercise and think that would be closer to the correct punishment.

Bousquets is appealing against the decision.

That makes no sense, he pleaded guilty!

The committee have taken into account the admittance that there was contact to Mr Fages’s head from Mr Bousquet’s shoulder albeit that it was an unavoidable contact. The player does have a clean record which is to the players credit albeit the opponent was seriously injured is a major aggravating factor to the committee. The committee feel that a 4 match suspension and a £300 fine is appropriate.
http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?4130

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace. It was a terrible hit that resulted in serious injury. His previous clean disciplinary record is to be commended but a horror hit is still a horror hit regardless of previous transgressions. If the RFL lower the punishment then the completely wrong message will be sent out.

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace. It was a terrible hit that resulted in serious injury. His previous clean disciplinary record is to be commended but a horror hit is still a horror hit regardless of previous transgressions. If the RFL lower the punishment then the completely wrong message will be sent out.

Agree completely, even though I take into consideration what oiseau said about Bousquet's remorse and personality, that should hopefully stand him in good stead in the future, but not now.

Prior to the 1st game of the camapaign Salford had lost 10 players and recruited only 1.Some players were jettisoned apparently for financial reasons and it seems one or two others wanted to be jettisoned.This over a large part of the last campaign and in the off-season when the club faced a winding-up order and so the remaining players endured a particularly stressful period.Just before the first game 3 new players had to be assimilated into the team.Not only a stressful period of time,a new spine to the side,and then a largely young set of players have to stand-by while a life threatening incident is played out over 8 minutes in time and like yourself I really wonder why the reasons outlined didn't lead to a performance at the optimum level from Salford against the 2 top four sides the fixtures threw at them :rolleyes:

Nice to see how gracious you are in victory.

first of all i'm not a Catalans fan - I watched the game as a neutral and was baffled by the Reds playing tactics - it was all through the middle stuff which was bread and butter stuff for the Catalans to defend - Salford looked dangerous when playing wide and using the man advantage - I reckon a decent championship side with a more pragmatic approach to the circumstances would have fared much better - very impressed with La Frays tactical changes to cope with a man short for 77 minutes albeit against a poor Reds outfit

secondly following all the off-field problems does the Salford club actually merit a place in the SL ? that perfomance with inadequate players at that level was a joke

Catalans fought well but a half decent side would have hammered them

first of all i'm not a Catalans fan - I watched the game as a neutral and was baffled by the Reds playing tactics - it was all through the middle stuff which was bread and butter stuff for the Catalans to defend - Salford looked dangerous when playing wide and using the man advantage - I reckon a decent championship side with a more pragmatic approach to the circumstances would have fared much better - very impressed with La Frays tactical changes to cope with a man short for 77 minutes albeit against a poor Reds outfit

secondly following all the off-field problems does the Salford club actually merit a place in the SL ? that perfomance with inadequate players at that level was a joke

Catalans fought well but a half decent side would have hammered them

Bonjour Mr Bird. You really should get out more and read what is going on at Salford. We were saved from death by Dr Koukash less than 3 weeks ago. He has appointed 3 top men from Down Under to help turn round the club. It wont be done in minutes - as you seem to want - it will take 4-6 years but there will be major improvements over the next 12 months especially when a level playing field for recuitment begins later in the year.

Bonjour Mr Bird. You really should get out more and read what is going on at Salford. We were saved from death by Dr Koukash less than 3 weeks ago. He has appointed 3 top men from Down Under to help turn round the club. It wont be done in minutes - as you seem to want - it will take 4-6 years but there will be major improvements over the next 12 months especially when a level playing field for recuitment begins later in the year.

salut 'moquette' - yeah, quite agree with you actually but I was retaliating to TwoBlues comments or lame excuses ........

I totally respect the rescue act carried out by the good doctor and really hope the club goes onward and upward and as I said the fans were brilliant, a great bunch, loyal to the cause so I hope it works out if only for their loyalty

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace.

Going into the panel, he knew that the best he hope for if found guilty was 3 games. He pleaded guilty and got 4 games, which isn't a bad result.

The appeal can't even be about guilt and wanting the ban removed, as he's already said he is guilty!

Having viewed the incident several times, I cannot for the life of me see how he can appeal against a 4 match ban. I hope the appeal panel increase it as it deserves 8 minimum.

Having viewed the incident several times, I cannot for the life of me see how he can appeal against a 4 match ban. I hope the appeal panel increase it as it deserves 8 minimum.

I see in this morning's Daily Express that after Chase's "tackle" on Hardaker that Brian McDermott has rethought his opinion of the shoulder charge ban and is now in favour of the ban. If we are to keep the shoulder charge then the punishment for getting it wrong has to be a lot harsher than it currently is.

What happened at the appeal I haven't seen any news and I thought it was yesterday?

Theo flew back at the same time as the Catalans and from comments I've seen Bousquet has yet to apologise to him and only 2 of the team asked him how he was on the flight. Language isn't a problem as Theo speaks French and English.

just to clear up a point - Julian went and spoke with Theo Fages' dad after the game asking about Theo bu was told by the father that he or his son didn't want anything to do with him - so, he wasn't allowed the chance to apologise...

just to clear up a point - Julian went and spoke with Theo Fages' dad after the game asking about Theo bu was told by the father that he or his son didn't want anything to do with him - so, he wasn't allowed the chance to apologise...

You can sorta see why though.

I guess it will be awkward when they are the cornerstones of the national team for the next 10+ years.

You can sorta see why though.

Yes, but it's wrong. A genuine apology should always be listened to, except in exceptional circumstances (in which case, it's probably not genuine).

Yes, but it's wrong. A genuine apology should always be listened to, except in exceptional circumstances (in which case, it's probably not genuine).

Oh I agree, but perhaps it was a bit too soon.

Is Theo now all right?

FWIW, I thought it was a disgusting high shot, worth about 12 weeks for mine … that sort of stuff does terrible damage to the game …