Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HunsletHawks

Hunslet Hawks Dual Registration Statement

56 posts in this topic

The club stated that our dual registration strategy for 2013 would be an arrangement whereby we would have 4 players from Leeds Rhinos joining the club on long term dual registration agreements. Since that initial announcement, we have always been open and honest about our plans in both our communications to our supporters and the rugby league community in general.

The dual registration agreement has in fact only seen us take 3 players on long term dual registration agreements for the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship, in Jimmy Keinhorst, Jimmy Watson and Liam Hood.

Since our strategy was put in place it has become clear that other Kingstone Press Championship clubs would be using a much wider selection of dual registration options with Workington Town for example dual registering the entire Widnes Vikings squad.

We also note with interest that the high profile option of fielding Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in last week’s game at Leigh Centurions drew much attention. When In actual fact Dewsbury, Doncaster, Keighley, Swinton, Whitehaven, Workington and York all fielded dual registration players with over 100 Super League appearances between them at the weekend. Two of these players represented Dewsbury. This is not a criticism by any means, we are simply highlighting that this is happening across the majority of clubs. These clubs are operating within the rules, but it does outline that the change in our approach to dual registration is necessary to remain competitive.

It also outlines a significantly unfair and bias press attitude to the Hunslet and Leeds partnership given that we are operating no differently to a number of other partnerships. In fact we would like to place on record here the very positive way in which Gary Hetherington and his team at Leeds have approached our partnership.

Our key responsibility as a Board of Directors is to react quickly to changing circumstances to ensure we remain competitive and retain our current League status whilst maintaining financial sustainability and viability moving forward. To that end it would be foolish of any business not to maximise the opportunities available within its market place. Accordingly we will now look to do that by working closely with Leeds Rhinos to dual register other players where we feel that will offer a potential benefit to both clubs. It is important to note that all playing decisions at Hunslet Hawks will be the sole remit of our Director of Rugby Darren Williams and our Head Coach Barry Eaton.

In an ideal world of course, ourselves and all Championship clubs would not need to enter into partnerships or dual registration agreements. In our case as a 'supporter owned' club and without a significant benefactor or significant crowd levels we have to look to other means of sustainability to maintain and grow our club and more importantly to make Hunslet Hawks competitive on the field. To that end we make no apologies for acting within the rules.

Blah Blah Blah, W ehave to do it or we will be in Championship death league 1. 2 of you are going down and i feel never to return, who will they be ?. i certainly hope some leeds fans increase your gates becuase i can only see them dwindleing. Who will pay the win bonuses then, should you win any ?.

Blah Blah Blah, W ehave to do it or we will be in Championship death league 1. 2 of you are going down and i feel never to return, who will they be ?. i certainly hope some leeds fans increase your gates becuase i can only see them dwindleing. Who will pay the win bonuses then, should you win any ?.

Can you write that again in English so i can respond?

This is Halifax by the way who have gone bust at least twice despite a Supermarket standing at Thrum Hall which had to be sold because Fax brought about 8 Australians across in the Chris Anderson era.I kid you not, we once played them in the cup off top of me head there was C Anderson, T Anderson, Langmack, Ryan, Arnold,Robinson , Kilroy and Eadie and this lot have the cheek to moan about us....

I just don't get why other clubs are moaning at us, when it is clear every one else is doing it...joke

Well written and put over the by the board..

Still Leeds A team !

firebasher - Fev fan - interests - fishing, rugby, shooting and wait for it......................ferreting !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: priceless.

firebasher - Fev fan - interests - fishing, rugby, shooting and wait for it......................ferreting !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: priceless.

Steady on Willie , you've just described me there ha ha

No wonder you need Leeds players to help you stay up. if the supporters that run your club are like you. He's not a Fev fan

Oh no, thundergaz is posting here we go :wacko: Whats betting he mentions were Leeds A team? :D

Not going to say anything of the sort. Your club as done what it's done because it as had to I guess. But I doubt its that bad at hunslet. But anyway my gripe isn't with the champ clubs more with the way the system is run. I've stated many times I don't mind the DR if its used properly ie 5 under 23 players I don't mind that its when teams get established SL players that's not RL its a circus.

Not going to say anything of the sort. Your club as done what it's done because it as had to I guess. But I doubt its that bad at hunslet. But anyway my gripe isn't with the champ clubs more with the way the system is run. I've stated many times I don't mind the DR if its used properly ie 5 under 23 players I don't mind that its when teams get established SL players that's not RL its a circus.

So stopping have a pop at us and other clubs and write an official letter to Red Hall, I am sure Ralf will take your comments in to consideration when deciding on the dual reg format for 2014 and beyond.

So stopping have a pop at us and other clubs and write an official letter to Red Hall, I am sure Ralf will take your comments in to consideration when deciding on the dual reg format for 2014 and beyond.

What is the point the RFL don't care never have never will. The sooner the clowns that run our game are removed the better.

I'm Hunslet thru n thru Gaz and I'm not happy with the D/R system , and with them joining up with Leeds , but whats been said before we need to do it to try and keep up with the other clubs in this league , lets just say if all clubs had to run on a budget what we had last year , Fev included , you would'nt be losing 3 or 4 games in as many years , you'd be losing alot more , Fev have more money than the rest of us and are not breaking any rules by useing it , if you do get into Super League the idea was because it being a closed shop that teams would be bringing the young kids through , but i bet Fev would bring oversea players in just so they could compete with the rest.........When we've asked Leeds for players in the past , we've had no luck at all , i do feel that the Super League clubs need us more than we need them and the RFL know this.......

I'm Hunslet thru n thru Gaz and I'm not happy with the D/R system , and with them joining up with Leeds , but whats been said before we need to do it to try and keep up with the other clubs in this league , lets just say if all clubs had to run on a budget what we had last year , Fev included , you would'nt be losing 3 or 4 games in as many years , you'd be losing alot more , Fev have more money than the rest of us and are not breaking any rules by useing it , if you do get into Super League the idea was because it being a closed shop that teams would be bringing the young kids through , but i bet Fev would bring oversea players in just so they could compete with the rest.........When we've asked Leeds for players in the past , we've had no luck at all , i do feel that the Super League clubs need us more than we need them and the RFL know this.......

Good post and I agree with some of it. But I fear for the game with this system as I don't see it just stopping at 5 DR players in the future. I also see the SL clubs calling the shots in the future or at some clubs it's happening now. I really hope I'm wrong and our comp prospers from it. But I just see it as a recipe for disaster. Also I acknowledge that's just my opinion but we were in a similar situation to yours not so long ago and we fought tooth and nail for this not to happen to our club and look where we are now and Bramley did a similar arrangement and look where they are now. Just giving you another view of looking at it that's all.

Good post and I agree with some of it. But I fear for the game with this system as I don't see it just stopping at 5 DR players in the future. I also see the SL clubs calling the shots in the future or at some clubs it's happening now. I really hope I'm wrong and our comp prospers from it. But I just see it as a recipe for disaster. Also I acknowledge that's just my opinion but we were in a similar situation to yours not so long ago and we fought tooth and nail for this not to happen to our club and look where we are now and Bramley did a similar arrangement and look where they are now. Just giving you another view of looking at it that's all.

Can you explain how Bramleys arrangement was similar?

Can you explain how Bramleys arrangement was similar?

They were in a partnership with Leeds as well similar to yours.

They were in a partnership with Leeds as well similar to yours.

Still not explained how it was similar to Hunslets.

Did'nt Leeds help Bramley out when they lost there ground and said they could use Headingley............What big ears you've got Grandma and the cheques in the post , I think Bramley should have had a contract drawn up to be honest.........fell right into Leeds hands...

Nobody can complain about Hunslet (or others) working within the rules. We at Leigh have used a number of D/R's over the past two seasons, because we can't afford (honestly) to assemble a squad of more than 23 players on our strict budget. The difference is that, up to this season, the rule has clearly stipulated younger S/L players - and I feel everyone benefits from that; the SL club (as always!), the Championship club, and most importantly, the young player who got to play a better standard than S/L under 23's.

Up to last week, you had originally signed four young D/C's from the Rhinos - Hood, Keinhorst, Watson and Sunley. However, Leeds' attempt to saddle you with Leuluai and Moore is obviously a short-term strategy on their part. (as is Warrington's with Wood and McCarthy; or St Helens with Gardner) I can fully understand your desire to be competitive, and keep up with everyone else that is doing it, but what happens when the SL club wants its players back? The best illustration of this is the way that Swinton/Warrington have abused the spirit of the rule - are we seriously expected to believe that FIVE of Warrington squad have signed permanent contracts at Swinton? What happens come Easter weekend, when Warrington's resources are stretched by two games in four days? I know what happened when we had D/C's from them - they took them all back. Are these 'permanent' signings to be allowed to play for Swinton in the Challenge Cup, and become 'cup-tied', so that they are barred from representing Warrington who are far more likely to go to Wembley than Swinton? When McCarthy was on D/C with us, a couple of years ago, he played at Wembley, as did Keinhorst last year. What will Swinton do if/when Warrington want their players back?

What is the attitude of your squad players, at having trained throughout the pre-season, and then not getting a game? I know what the reaction of trhe Leigh players is - they don't like it!

Also, in creating the 'partnership' ruling on D/C's, the likes of Leigh, Featherstone, Halifax, Sheffield and Barrow are NOT ALLOWED any D/C players. Is that not a restriction of trade? What happens if there is an injury crisis at one of those clubs?

We requested one of the Warrington youngsters on loan, but were told he would only be loaned to a S/L club, at this stage of his development. He then turned out for Swinton! Surely you can't have one rule for some and not for others?

The whole thing is the usual RFL mess! I say let's revert to the original spirit of D/C's and treat everyone equally. And let's not bend over backwards, to help the SL clubs. Remember, they started this fiasco, by jettisoning their under 23 squads.

P.S. Good luck for the rest of this season

Alan didnt Richard Moore play for you on loan not so long ago?

Two points about the statement you have issued.

1. It sounds like you are saying that you had to take the dual registered SL- Championship link up because others were doing it and you didn't want to be left behind when in actual fact you and Leeds linked up before any other clubs. In fact you linked up and announced it prior to the Championship clubs meeting in September to discuss the matter. SL clubs had been discussing this since April 2012 in various meetings.

2. Mentioning other clubs without checking the details of what you were saying doesn't exactly do you any favours with those clubs. Much was said about Widnes making their entire squad (except loan players and visa players) available for dual registering and many took this as if Workington would be using all these players at some time. However, in 2 games Town have used a 20 year old who has yet to play in SL in 2 games and a 21 year old with 1 SL game and a 23 year old with 5 SL games to his credit, that have played in 1 game each. Each club that has a link up can change the 5 DR players every week if they so wish as long as the SL club makes them available so there is no difference.

Last year we had dual registered players that became unavailable at the discretion of the SL clubs and we were left short of players at the end of the season, culminating in our infamous defeat at Gateshead with only 15 players (two out of retirement, a 17 year old prop on the wing and others out of position and two injured players named on the subs bench to avoid getting a fine). The only thing wrong with the system last year was this sort of thing brought about by SL clubs withdrawing their players at the wrong times. If this sort of problem had been discussed properly by the Championship clubs at constituted meetings then we may have come up with a better system than last years and certainly better than this years. However, once one partnership was announced that was it, others jumped on the bandwagon and we are where we are.