Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve May

TRL Helpdesk - buying a car

30 posts in this topic

Was glad to get rid of it in the end after being shunted for 200 yards up the M25 stuck on the front end of a Bulgarian 40 tonne artic. It wasn't written-off so makes you think its a little weak after being in a major shunt.

:O

Aye, not a pleasant experience, but apparently its common on the M25 with left hand drive artics.

i was lucky in that I was travelling at a similar speed to the artic, who whilst I was overtaking him, decided to move into my lane, clipped my passenger side rear end, flipped me round onto the front of the artic.

it could have been worse if our respective speeds weren't similar as I wouldn't have stuck on the front, but careered left and right into the safety barrier and back out again into busy traffic, etc.

200 yards may be an eggageration - felt like eternity.

Thats exactly what happened, though in my case the lorry driver knew what was going on and immediately tried to stop.

The traffic cops said its a real common ocurrence with the left hand drive artics as they have a blind spot as you pass alongside where their cab is, as you can be lower than their passenger side window. The police do try to educate them by asking them to fit suitable mirrors but those from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria don't bother as its not compulsory.

Thats exactly what happened, though in my case the lorry driver knew what was going on and immediately tried to stop.

The traffic cops said its a real common ocurrence with the left hand drive artics as they have a blind spot as you pass alongside where their cab is, as you can be lower than their passenger side window. The police do try to educate them by asking them to fit suitable mirrors but those from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria don't bother as its not compulsory.

I would've been a bag of nerves after something like that. Glad to hear that you got off relatively lightly.