Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southstander13

WCC - Expansion Agreed?

64 posts in this topic

The question is, which 6 teams?

Top 3? That could exclude champions

Grand Finalists plus in the league would probably be the best bet

But should there be a slot for the Challenge Cup winner?

6 teams is bleeding stupid.....theres gonna be 2 warm up games before the actual WCC game....thats only going to perpetuate the notion that the WCC is just a series of trial games

to make the WCC "more serious" it should be expanded to just 4 teams..the 4 grand final teams...play 2 semi finals,NRL winner v ESL runner up & ESL winner v NRL runner up...then a final for the 2 winners.....

christ its not rocket science !!!

6 teams is bleeding stupid.....theres gonna be 2 warm up games before the actual WCC game....thats only going to perpetuate the notion that the WCC is just a series of trial games

to make the WCC "more serious" it should be expanded to just 4 teams..the 4 grand final teams...play 2 semi finals,NRL winner v ESL runner up & ESL winner v NRL runner up...then a final for the 2 winners.....

christ its not rocket science !!!

Sounds simple but high probability you'll end up with two NRL teams in final which dilutes the concept somewhat.

I'd go for Grand Final winners from each hemisphere; NRL minor premiers + UK Challenge Cup winners; I'd make up the six with wildcard entries for the NZRL (Warriors) and FRL (Dragons).

Would be great to run the event pre season initially in a neutral venue such as Dubai.

oh yeah god forbid we actually try and turn the WCC into a competition to find the BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD!!!....sod it lets make it a pre season jolly to dubai.....yeah everyone will take that really seriously....lol

and so what if 2 NRL teams make the final?? and given the record of australian clubs here its highly probable 2 ESL teams would make the final!!!

If this is the ridiculous 6-team format that Gary Hetherington came up with, then it'll probably do more damage to the WCC than good.

Can anyone see the benefit of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3?!

No official line on the structure so potentially not as simple as 2 "warm up" games before the usual WCC match. Could be grouped, round robin etc.

Until we get the official line on this Im still a little hesitant to believe this will all happen but for me I think if used properly it could be a good promo tool!

it won't be the world club challange anymore....it'll become the world club series....NRL clubs 3 - ESL clubs 0....the fact a aussie club would be the world champs at the end of it would be lost amid the general laughter at ESL....

I also hope it isn't the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 3 format. Or indeed 1 v 3, 2 v 2, 3 v 1.

Unfortunately I can't see how it can be anything other than that.

I'd be boring and love to see 4.

Saturday - SL GF winners v NRL GF runners up

Sunday - SL Hubcap winners (if they also won GF, then GF runners up) v NRL GF winners

Friday - final

Don't understand the assumption that the Aussies would hammer us. Wire, Leeds, Wigan and maybe Saints and Hull would be able to compete against NRL sides.

RL fans arguing about something which hasn't been announced - surprise.

As long as you agree with roughyedspud,the concept is fine,if not,you're bleeding stupid.

You are absolutely right roughyedspud,as always.Everyone else is wrong.Quite why you are not running the game is beyond me.

To do a proper world club challenge they'd need to completely reengineer the seasons in both hemispheres - that simply isn't going to happen.

They'd also need to negotiate sponsorship and broadcast arrangements to make it financially viable - that's possible but I don't sense a will to do this from either side.

That leaves us with what we've got: a preseason exhibition game. I don't see any harm in looking for ways to improve this just because, in an ideal world, we'd like it to be more than this.

You are absolutely right roughyedspud,as always.Everyone else is wrong.Quite why you are not running the game is beyond me.

Quite. Being able to plan things on the back of a fag packet and argue with strangers on the Internet are rare gifts.

id love too....thanks for the support

You'd be too great a loss to the world of astrophysics,with your astute reasoning and analysis,'well it is'.

For me, if we are to go past the World Champions and have a notion that there is more to our game than England, Australia with a bit of New Zealand, any expanded comp should have space for the French Champions, PNG Champs amongst others, even if these are jsut as bit part qualifying matches.

For me, if we are to go past the World Champions and have a notion that there is more to our game than England, Australia with a bit of New Zealand, any expanded comp should have space for the French Champions, PNG Champs amongst others, even if these are jsut as bit part qualifying matches.

thats pretty much out the FIFA world club cup is done.....the european & south american champions go straight into the semi final..with the other 2 spots decided by qualifications games between the other regional club champions..

if they are going to make a competition out of it i'd suggest both grand finalists from each comp, plus the minor premiers. If one of the grand finalists is the minor premier you then go down to the next best finishing team in the league.

play the games home and away throughout the season (won't happen i know), in a round robin tournament and the top two teams play off in the final, played a few weeks prior to the SL/NRL play-offs starting.

English refs in the games played in Aus. Aus refs in the games played in England.

would probably lead to players/clubs complaining about too many games, but would be the best and fairest in my opinion.

for such a thing to happen though we'd probably see any International competitions planned suffering, which is why any expanded WCC wont go beyond the mentioned 1v1, 2v2, 3v3..

Surely European entry (France, Wales, etc) would come through the Super League? Having the French Champions over Catalans would be farcical.

Same in Australasia via the NRL.

It should only be available to fully professional sides qualifying in fully professional leagues, otherwise it would be completely unworkable.

if they are going to make a competition out of it i'd suggest both grand finalists from each comp, plus the minor premiers. If one of the grand finalists is the minor premier you then go down to the next best finishing team in the league.

play the games home and away throughout the season (won't happen i know), in a round robin tournament and the top two teams play off in the final, played a few weeks prior to the SL/NRL play-offs starting.

English refs in the games played in Aus. Aus refs in the games played in England.

would probably lead to players/clubs complaining about too many games, but would be the best and fairest in my opinion.

for such a thing to happen though we'd probably see any International competitions planned suffering, which is why any expanded WCC wont go beyond the mentioned 1v1, 2v2, 3v3..

You'd have to cut the domestic season here to fit it in (NRL is already pretty short so no issue, especially if the money is right).

But if you cut our domestic season, what do the other clubs do for 3-4 weeks to bring in revenue?

You'd need some sort of competition for them to bring up the number if games.