Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southstander13

WCC - Expansion Agreed?

64 posts in this topic

I don't see how it dilutes the WCC match itself - that will still be between the champions of each league.

The match is already seen by many as just an exhibition (I don't see it that way). By attaching two ACTUAL exhibition games to it, it makes it appear more like an exhibition.

Sometimes less is more.

As the game is envisaged to be played in February in the following year I frankly don't get how the question of the SL champions not being involved even arises?

Because some people have perceived 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 to mean league positions. Leeds finishing 5th wouldn't qualify if that was the case.

It obviously isn't the case, but it needs clarifying for those that can't work it out.

If you're really determined to be negative and assume the two other matches will be pointless, fair enough. [/Quote]

It's not being negative, they literally are pointless. They are friendlies. You don't win anything. No league points. No qualification. No trophy. No prize money has been mentioned.

Personally I don't understand what's not to like about getting the chance to see the best NRL teams play over here and it just winds me up how some so called fans here aren't happy unless they're running down people like Hetherington who are trying to build something.

Give it a chance.

If it's a pointless game, it won't be the best teams. It'll be some pretty good teams going through the motions in a nothing game. It's a shocking format that will generate very little interest from both sides of the world.

If the games had some actual meaning, then it would be FANTASTIC news. But they don't.

Probably because Brisbane never play in it

Do you think?

Only 5 times and I think they were deprived of competing a few times as the WCC was not held some years as its that flaky sort of game like the honour of the the Golden Boot recently where there is no rhyme or reason.

The leeds chairman or owner, not sure what he is appears to try and punch beyond his weight.

I do not think Leeds and what they want carries much weight with NRL heavyweights to be honest.

He says plenty about the WCC and has for years, how much has happened? when sales people do that people stop listening to them, its Spin at best and more likely ######.

I take your points Wellsy. I'm just prepared to give Hetherington the benefit of the doubt - I have to assume he's taken into account all your reservations.

The concept of a "test series" of 3 club matches is, it has to be said, a bit left field and this biennial aspect is only "experimental". Apparently.

I just hang onto to the very good news that NRL clubs are at last taking it more seriously and that the stand alone WCC fixture is returning downunder.

I take your points Wellsy. I'm just prepared to give Hetherington the benefit of the doubt - I have to assume he's taken into account all your reservations.

The concept of a "test series" of 3 club matches is, it has to be said, a bit left field and this biennial aspect is only "experimental". Apparently.

I just hang onto to the very good news that NRL clubs are at last taking it more seriously and that the stand alone WCC fixture is returning downunder.

I just don't understand how this idea has come up though. It's not expanding the WCC at all. It's still one game between 2 teams. It's completely unnecessary and by the look of people's opinions unwanted. It just looks set up to fail.

The competition needs expanding to more than one game between more than two teams.

What would it be if it was diluted anymore than it currently is?

Whats less than water? if you live in Brisbane you would know the WCC gets very little coverage and barely a mention in a League mad City like Brisbane.

They play the game on TV at 1 am or something two days after its played on channel Nine.

The point that the only time it was played in Brisbane 52,000 turned out at the old ANZ to see Wigan win. No interest? Doubt it myself look at how Lang park fills for games which would probably get 12,000 in the NRL-centric Sydney. What does the modern Lang park hold 50k+? My guess is 50k+ would turn out.

I just don't understand how this idea has come up though. It's not expanding the WCC at all. It's still one game between 2 teams. It's completely unnecessary and by the look of people's opinions unwanted. It just looks set up to fail.

The competition needs expanding to more than one game between more than two teams.

Other than a suggested format last year, why are you assuming that the 1v1 2v2 3v3 is the format chosen?

Other than a suggested format last year, why are you assuming that the 1v1 2v2 3v3 is the format chosen?

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/changes-afoot-for-world-club-challenge-20130214-2eeho.html#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

"The six-team comp in 2015 does not mean six teams have a chance of being crowned world champions. It means the game will be played as part of a Super League v NRL "Test" series."

http://m.smh.com.au/...l#ixzz2KrGCeVQD

"The six-team comp in 2015 does not mean six teams have a chance of being crowned world champions. It means the game will be played as part of a Super League v NRL "Test" series."

Ah! Fair enough, must have missed that!

Not keen on that format but I would still love to go see Leeds v Souths/Dogs/Storm/Broncos etc even if that was 3v3.

its a joke....and most of the aussies on the LU forum think its a joke too....

nothing more than a vanity project by leeds,wigan & warrington

I'm interested to see what Hetherington's opinion is on how this may affect international RL. In no way should it.

I'm interested to see what Hetherington's opinion is on how this may affect international RL. In no way should it.

Why would it? It's still just one round of fixtures as is now. It's just there are 3 matches in the round instead of 1 (and 2 of them are bloody meaningless).