Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

17/02/13 - London Broncos v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - KO 3pm

Who will win?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

106 posts in this topic

Even the most hardcore of Broncos fans, and I don't include myself in that company, seem to have given up.

Indeed.

It's hard to cheer on a corpse.

Having sat through last years tosh and seeing how the first two home performances have

gone I am left almost hoping that they do clear off to Gillingham next year so I

neednt bother wasting my time any further by following them.

Whatever happens I will see the rest of the campaign out in the hope I may just see some

real effort from more than a few players, or a desire to do more than turn in one abject

performance after another at home.

I thought we were bad enough at home to Widnes but at least we managed to get near the

oppos try line occasionally.

Sad to say also that Nadera is quite right in that most of those I speak to of the circle of season

ticket holders I know believe that the decay has well and truely started.

By the way well done Wakey, fortunately for us you missed a few otherwise it would and should have been 40 plus.

As stated I went to this game, courtesy of some free tickets from one of the players. However, I had no idea this game was even on

I live 37 miles from the ground and it is nearly all motorway so I can be there in 40 minutes, I have been approximately 6 times before and have had my son registered as a Junior Quin or whatever it was for 2 seasons. I have used their online facility to buy tickets in the past.

I have never ever received one bit of marketing from the club.

I went yesterday, because it was free and hoped my lad would enjoy it enough to want to go again. However, the spectacle, the crowd, the atmosphere and the overall experience was nothing short of pitiful. I was desperate for him to come away and want to go back as I really want him to take on RL as his chosen sport, sadly not to be.

This shouldn’t take away from Wakefields performance, as “nilling” any superleague team away from home is commendable but Christ what an awful experience as a neutral.

The Bronbcos fans started singing “all we want is a decent referee” – sadly I can think of about 15 things they need more than a “decent referee”.

Probably not. Even the most hardcore of Broncos fans, and I don't include myself in that company, seem to have given up. I believe that 'acceptance' is the final stage in dealing with a terminal illness.

There will, unfortunately, be some gloating in certain corners.

I'm in that camp. Seaso for three years quite recently, but have moved a bit further away so getting to games has become a bit awkward. If we were competing on the pitch, that probably wouldn't be an issue but it's becoming ever more difficult to give a ****. And following a rotten team isn't new to me - I've supported Southend United FC since 1985.

gingerjon has it about right with the "it's hard to cheer on a corpse" comment.

Watching the highlights last night, the players just didn't seem to care, not chasing after the line has been broken etc

I'm really losing patience with them now

It's all over bar the shouting for the London Broncos, I'm afraid. If anybody wants to watch SL rugby league in London then they'd better make the most of the remaining 11 home games. And when the club goes kaput the sport won't have another opportunity to establish itself at the top level for at least a decade to come, probably more.

Ultimately the responsibility for that lies with the game as a whole, because we weren't decisive enough to actually go for it, to make it happen despite the obstacles, to promote and defend the sport in difficult territory. No, it was far easier politically and financially to leave the club to stand or fall on its own. That's fine, priorities were made and decisions followed. But the game, as a whole, will soon see the consequences.

The thing is what do you cut to give London the extra cash?

You can't cut back on Sky grants because the smaller M62 clubs can't get by on what they have. Cutting back on development officers would be suicide for the game as well.

It's because he's a knobjockey.

HTH.

He would be if we were in the era of automatic p & r. Teams earned their place on the pitch through tries and their crowd figures were irrelevent to anyone but the bank manager.

Now we live with licencing and Bronquins were given a licence as one of the 14 most deserving teams in Europe. I don't think it unreasonable that a journalist questions this. I think even Broncos fans find it hard to believe.

He would be if we were in the era of automatic p & r. Teams earned their place on the pitch through tries and their crowd figures were irrelevent to anyone but the bank manager.

Now we live with licencing and Bronquins were given a licence as one of the 14 most deserving teams in Europe. I don't think it unreasonable that a journalist questions this. I think even Broncos fans find it hard to believe.

If it were one example of Chris Irvine tweeting a worthwhile comparison then I'd have no problem. If it were a set as part of a sequence where some are positive, some are negative - then, again, fine.

But it's not. It's yet another RL journalist putting up a "Oh look, rugby league's a bit rubbish isn't it ..." type tweet of the, "Look! Flashy lights at Ally Pally ... makes you realise how dull Friday Night SL is on Sky ..." type that they all seem to have on speedtype.

The thing is what do you cut to give London the extra cash?

You can't cut back on Sky grants because the smaller M62 clubs can't get by on what they have. Cutting back on development officers would be suicide for the game as well.

But that's the point. A decision was made - and it may have been the right one - for London to stand or fall as per any other club. When they fall - and it is now clearly a matter of 'when' - then that will be in part because of that.

I didn't read his tweet but arguably the fact that Fev had a bigger crowd is good news for them.

If it were one example of Chris Irvine tweeting a worthwhile comparison then I'd have no problem. If it were a set as part of a sequence where some are positive, some are negative - then, again, fine.

But it's not. It's yet another RL journalist putting up a "Oh look, rugby league's a bit rubbish isn't it ..." type tweet of the, "Look! Flashy lights at Ally Pally ... makes you realise how dull Friday Night SL is on Sky ..." type that they all seem to have on speedtype.

Absolutely correct.

But that's the point. A decision was made - and it may have been the right one - for London to stand or fall as per any other club. When they fall - and it is now clearly a matter of 'when' - then that will be in part because of that.

Unavoidable though.

People have to face the fact that the RFL don't have the cash.

Unavoidable though.

People have to face the fact that the RFL don't have the cash.

And that is why, for the most part, I don't think anybody in London has been saying that the RFL should own or run the Broncos. But the club is mainly the victim of woeful mismanagement that has been allowed to continue for far longer than it should have - now, that may be true of other clubs too but with London having no assets, limited supporter base and no investors riding to the rescue there's a case that the 'hands off' approach is what will ulitmately kill the club.

And that is why, for the most part, I don't think anybody in London has been saying that the RFL should own or run the Broncos.

No, I've yet to hear from them asking for preferable treatment of any kind.

I didn't read his tweet but arguably the fact that Fev had a bigger crowd is good news for them.

It is good news for Fev. But I fail to see what good it will do. I can only recall CI doing 2 upbeat sports tweets: about darts and speedway. An 8000 crowd at darts is more worthy of mention than a 20k one at a RL game it seems.

All in all, I think he should either get another job or cover another sport as he seems pretty fed up of RL.

It's the job of a journalist to tell it as they see it rather than deliberately make upbeat stories "to do good".

It's the job of a journalist to tell it as they see it rather than deliberately make upbeat stories "to do good".

So the only RL stories he comes across are all bad news are they? Isn't there meant to be an element of balance involved?

So the only RL stories he comes across are all bad news are they? Isn't there meant to be an element of balance involved?

Obviously rugby league is not all doom and gloom and decent coverage should reflect that. Difficult to comment on his tweets as I don't do twitter.

My main issue with RL journalism is that to me it seems a very cosy world where everybody knows everybody else and most journalists do no more than reprint press releases and add their best personal wishes to all involved.

Obviously rugby league is not all doom and gloom and decent coverage should reflect that. Difficult to comment on his tweets as I don't do twitter.

My main issue with RL journalism is that to me it seems a very cosy world where everybody knows everybody else and most journalists do no more than reprint press releases and add their best personal wishes to all involved.

It is very cosy affair and they close rank pretty fast too.

The Broncos owner wants to get straight on the blower to Saracens and see about a groundshare at Barnet.

The Broncos owner wants to get straight on the blower to Saracens and see about a groundshare at Barnet.

Why? Its in the middle of nowhere and has RU as the main tenant and who have done loads of marketing - the same as the Stoop. A crazy idea

regardless of anything can somebody please tell me how they can afford to carry on with that crowd?

Assuming everybody spent £20 on a ticket that is is gate receipts of £37k before any costs!

Too close to Skolars and Hemel. Not good for them.