Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

Gambling

Derwent    1,256

Anyone having a bet during Cheltenham?

Any tips?

Today should be a favourites day - Simonsig and Quevega should be absolute certs, especially Quevega who you could just about risk your mortgage on, but both will be fairly short odds, and Hurricane Fly will take all the beating in the Champion Hurdle.

Johnoco    3,352

Today should be a favourites day - Simonsig and Quevega should be absolute certs, especially Quevega who you could just about risk your mortgage on, but both will be fairly short odds, and Hurricane Fly will take all the beating in the Champion Hurdle.

Is that you Stevo? ;)

Futtocks    5,910

Anyone having a bet during Cheltenham?

Any tips?

Betting? I'm betting the Radio 5 coverage will be fronted by John Inverdale.

Tips? Switch off your radio.

Hope this has been helpful.

Johnoco    3,352

Hope you backed them all in a treble, 3 out of 3. A very profitable day.

No, wish I had now...

Oh yeah, I'm in profit by 31p. :)

What about tomorrow?

Gav Wilson had a few winners I read on twitter.

hindle xiii    694

I've never bet on a horse, and still don't quite understand "each way" from what I can gather it means "1st or 2nd" but could people bet on how many lengths a horse will win by? Kinda like correct score as well as which team will win in footy/rugby.

Johnoco    3,352

I've never bet on a horse, and still don't quite understand "each way" from what I can gather it means "1st or 2nd" but could people bet on how many lengths a horse will win by? Kinda like correct score as well as which team will win in footy/rugby.

E/W is effectively 2 bets. Say you put a pound on a horse at 10-1 e-w. The bet would cost you £2. This is because you are betting on the horse coming first and also in the (usually) first 3. If it comes first you get 2 wins (ie a pound at 10/1 and a quarter of that for a place) If if comes second or third, you would just get a quarter of the winning total....(1/4 of £11)

Its a way of getting your money back at least I suppose but your more serious gamblers don't seem to bother with it, well the ones I know anyway.

hindle xiii    694

And the bit about winning by a certain margin? Is that possible? Like the horse yesterday who won by 20 lengths or something, could someone bet for that?

Johnoco    3,352

And the bit about winning by a certain margin? Is that possible? Like the horse yesterday who won by 20 lengths or something, could someone bet for that?

Yeah I did. It had to win by 7 lengths or more otherwise it wouldn't have counted...luckily for me it did.

In the 1990's I had a telephone betting account with William Hills, my GF at the time was fervently opposed to an form of gambling, when she found out that I had nearly £1000 in an account she went mental, and nearly called the wedding off, she thought that if I put the whole lot on one race it would cure me of this "Illness" as she called it, it backfired on her when the horse came in at 4-1, paid for the wedding, and honeymoon in Portugal.

I closed my account down soon after I withdrew the money. I now have an on-line account with Ladbrokes, I never put more in than I can afford when the balance runs out. £50 usually, and I never bet more than I feel comfortable with - usually £5-10.

Are you and your wife still together?

I just don't get gambling at all

I don't even know how to buy a lottery ticket

Although I was inthe lottery syndicate at work: just to go with the flow

Bleep1673    149

Are you and your wife still together?

No, but for other reason, although we are still friends, 18 years after divorce, otherwise NOYFB

No, but for other reason, although we are still friends, 18 years after divorce, otherwise NOYFB

Fair call

I was just being a little skittish