Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

Double delight as Halifax hosts Northern Rail finals day

74 posts in this topic

Wait until the Grand Final stadium is announced, i for one am looking forward to seeing the debate on here

Blackpool is an absolute hole of a place. Glad all the clubs have selected to have the games at Halifax. Dare say its a reward as well for the work the council and the club have put in to promoting the RLWC.

Hope they start doing work on the North Stand soon. And hopefully it doesnt rain the week before as the pitch has very poor drainage. And the toilets in the Skircoat Stand are poor-ask Fev fans!!

I understand why Blackpool's been dropped, money going out of the game, etc.

Fax have a servicable ground.

But this is an appalling decision.

Apart from the question of final neutrality perhaps being compromised by the possibility of Fax playing a final at home (good luck to 'em but it would be rubbish) this is such an uninspiring choice.

It's not new/different/special. It's just a game at a Championship league ground which fans can visit anyway for league games. There will be no sense of ocassion at all.

A SL venue would've been my choice.

Daft idea, it's not neutral and with respect to Halifax, it's not special either. Most of us will visit at least once this year anyway.

By all means keep money in the game, this is to be applauded, but surely there's a suitable SL ground we could use, Salford, Widnes, Hull KR, Odsal, Headingley etc.

No doubt the LSV will shortly be announced as the grand final stadium. LSV is by far the best RL stadium in the competition, but again it's not neutral or special.

Bayern Munich played the Champions League final on their home ground last year. The competition struggles on.

Seems like decent team talk material for the other sides as well- THIS SHOWER THINK THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE A NICE DAY ON THEIR HOME PITCH IN JULY. THEY THINK THEY JUST HAVE TO SHOW UP blah blah

Still seems like a retreat to The Heartlands which isn't a good thing. That said, I might give it a look this year. The Shay being pretty rubbish on two sides is an issue too.

On the plus side, I reckon The Shay is a decent stadium. Needs a bit of work but not bad really.

Not sure about the glamour though.

like the idea of the bowl final....don't mind halfax being the venue either....as long as halfiax are'nt in the final..

personally id have opted for warrington or headingley...

Halifax is not exactly short of pubs and does have a reputation for its nightlife! It has a number of Pubs that serve Real Ale if you are into that. It also has a number of nightclubs that stay open til early sunday morning. Depends what type of night you want. If its a classy night out then forget Halifax. If its a wild night then Halifax is probably one of the best around to spend the night in.

Classy is definitely not on the agenda :)

I can't help but feel whenever I go to or through Halifax it always seems a bit of a miserable place, so in a way it is perfect for the majority of fans.

(and yes, I know where I'm from, doesn't mean I like it either)

Daft idea, it's not neutral and with respect to Halifax, it's not special either. Most of us will visit at least once this year anyway.

By all means keep money in the game, this is to be applauded, but surely there's a suitable SL ground we could use, Salford, Widnes, Hull KR, Odsal, Headingley etc.

No doubt the LSV will shortly be announced as the grand final stadium. LSV is by far the best RL stadium in the competition, but again it's not neutral or special.

Not sure if the RFL can win here. If they'd announced a SL ground this site would be full of posts telling us they are going to boycott the final because they don't want the money going to a SL club. Or the RFL are in SLs pocket and that's all they care about.

Not sure if the RFL can win here. If they'd announced a SL ground this site would be full of posts telling us they are going to boycott the final because they don't want the money going to a SL club. Or the RFL are in SLs pocket and that's all they care about.

Do you recall any of that being said about the GF which has been staged at Warrington for a number of years? Isn't that a SL ground?

I think its a great idea, lets move it even further way from Cumbria to an area that is already saturated with top class rugby!!

Why couldn't they have taken it to Carlisle or Gateshead to try and help promote the game there, nothing against Halifax, but another game in Yorkshire just increases the perception that the game doesn't exist outside of the M62 corridor

I can't help but feel whenever I go to or through Halifax it always seems a bit of a miserable place, so in a way it is perfect for the majority of fans.

(and yes, I know where I'm from, doesn't mean I like it either)

Halifax, like Bradford has been badly letdown by the people who are supposed to make it a better brighter place- i.e the Councillors who line their own pockets often at the expense of the people. A couple of Councillors have been found doing dodgy deals and getting sent down. Halifax has many problems under the surface which sadly never have been addressed- like a decent shopping centre under cover and decent safe car parks and proper leisure facilities. The scenery in and around Halifax as well as Bradford is very nice. Maybe one day Halifax and Bradford will be made better and run by people who care and do something properly.

My choice would have been Doncaster or Rochdale as both are outsiders to make the final and are about the right size for the final. Its a shame Blackpool is so expensive but a neutral ground makes a final a bit more special for me and many others. I can understand why the decision to move away from Blackpool and its a shame their is not a Stadium big enough at Morecambe or Scarboro which is cheaper and offers something different. But lets just enjoy the game even if we dont think the venue is that good.

While we're at it, lets have the Challenge Cup semis at Wigan and Headingley regardless of who contests them. They're the best two supported clubs and will generate the best possible crowds.

whilst im happy to slate the rfl for the direction they are taking the game, and for some of the (what I consider to be) ridiculous decisions made in our game, I have to say this is not the rfl's doing. The championship clubs have voted for this. They have decided the venue for the nrc final and grand fonal - NOT yhe rfl

I believe the GF is also going to be at a Championship club's ground. Apparently Blackpool and Warrington are too expensive to hire.

On another point, unlikely as it may be, what happens if one of the C1 clubs makes it to the final ? Are they going to play 2 games in an afternoon ?

My choice would have been Doncaster or Rochdale as both are outsiders to make the final and are about the right size for the final. Its a shame Blackpool is so expensive but a neutral ground makes a final a bit more special for me and many others. I can understand why the decision to move away from Blackpool and its a shame their is not a Stadium big enough at Morecambe or Scarboro which is cheaper and offers something different. But lets just enjoy the game even if we dont think the venue is that good.

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

Can't wait to see Leeds "A" in the final ;)

against bradford A

2005, Hull KR v Cas, att. 9,400 was the first at Bloomfield Road

between attendances have been:

and the last was 2012, Fax v Fev, att. 6,691

The capacity at Bloomfield Road is 17,338 (It had to be increased in 2010 along with improvements to a lot of other facilities following the Blackpool club gaining a possible promotion spot if they met the Premier League criterea for membership.

The Shay has a capacity of 14,061, increased from aprox 10,000 following the final redevelopment.

Maybe this is part of an overall strategy that has been going on for a few years of trying to create demand for games by pushing games towards being sell outs, even if that means using stadia that are more accessible but smaller. There is of course the counter argument of who the hell wants to go were they normally go for a match. However Lancashire and Yorkshire Cup Finals were played at regular stadia and managed reasonable crowds at times without it being a 'day out'.

I think where Blackpool has failed is that it doesn't seem to have attracted the neutrals looking for a rugby day/weekend out. The attendances seem to have been only a bit above what both clubs combined could expect at their best attended games.

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

it does'nt.....half that stadium is being put up at featherstone

I'm expecting the CC GF to be at LSV on the back of this decision.

Its abit of a joke but then again so is the organisation of the game outside SL.

Going to Blackpool in 2009 actually felt like a final and a special occasion knowing that we won't be there very often. I've been to the Shay multiple times (very nice ground) so it won't feel like a final to me, it'll just feel like another league game.

There is very few things to look forward to as a Championship club supporter, one of them though was a day out in blackpool which has now been taken away.