Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

Double delight as Halifax hosts Northern Rail finals day

74 posts in this topic

I'm expecting the CC GF to be at LSV on the back of this decision.

Its abit of a joke but then again so is the organisation of the game outside SL.

Going to Blackpool in 2009 actually felt like a final and a special occasion knowing that we won't be there very often. I've been to the Shay multiple times (very nice ground) so it won't feel like a final to me, it'll just feel like another league game.

There is very few things to look forward to as a Championship club supporter, one of them though was a day out in blackpool which has now been taken away.

But it wasn't attracting many neutrals, so you pay a fortune to hire a ground, half fill it (sometimes far less than half) and lose money. The problem isn't the RFL's, its the fans' problem, if they had turned out in numbers and filled the ground then you could have your day out in Blackpool (which is a $h!th0le), as it is the game was generally supported by the the finalists good time gals.

It may be a strange concept, but, and its a big but, the RFL has to make money, something it has been good at for quite a while. If putting on a final in Blackpool is a cash loser the games supporters would be the first to be up in arms and challenging the RFL for losing money*.

*I don't know if it loses money or not, but I'll take a wild guess that it has, however I could be wrong and there is a different reason for the change in venue.

But it wasn't attracting many neutrals, so you pay a fortune to hire a ground, half fill it (sometimes far less than half) and lose money. The problem isn't the RFL's, its the fans' problem, if they had turned out in numbers and filled the ground then you could have your day out in Blackpool (which is a $h!th0le), as it is the game was generally supported by the the finalists good time gals.

It may be a strange concept, but, and its a big but, the RFL has to make money, something it has been good at for quite a while. If putting on a final in Blackpool is a cash loser the games supporters would be the first to be up in arms and challenging the RFL for losing money*.

*I don't know if it loses money or not, but I'll take a wild guess that it has, however I could be wrong and there is a different reason for the change in venue.

blackpool isn't a cash loser padge.

After years of the nrc being regarded as a "nowt compt", merely padding to lengthen the season in the champs, its profile was given a lift by a final beiing held in blackpool. Most fans loved it and it gave the day a sense of occasion.

However, blackpool cost 50k to put the final on. Discussions on how to keep more money in the game and get bettrr value for money were held and voted upon.

The shay was announced yesterday. The lsv will get the gf.

Cost effeveness is right but taking that option you lose some of the profile, the sense of a jolly up on a weekend away (I hate b'pool, most don't), and it devalues the competition in my opinion.

I can see why these decisions weere made....but I don't think they all ultimately in the competitions best interests.

A game at the shay will be just another game and the nrc will return to be viewed with the same ambivalence it once was.

Perhaps Fev will no longer be favourite for a so-called promotion spot after this year, if Fax win the NRC and the home team wins the championship?

Then over to the panellists to decide who goes up - I wonder if it will be "eeny meeny miney mo...," or "ip dip dog shi*....."

What an utter joke

Can't wait to see what the usual dozen will be complaining about tomorrow.No doubt something else that the Clubs have voted in favour of or more likely some rumour/gossip that one of them has heard from 'a very reliable source'.

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

Play it at Featherstone then , most of the McCain stadium is there. :rolleyes:

blackpool isn't a cash loser padge.

After years of the nrc being regarded as a "nowt compt", merely padding to lengthen the season in the champs, its profile was given a lift by a final beiing held in blackpool. Most fans loved it and it gave the day a sense of occasion.

However, blackpool cost 50k to put the final on. Discussions on how to keep more money in the game and get bettrr value for money were held and voted upon.

The shay was announced yesterday. The lsv will get the gf.

Cost effeveness is right but taking that option you lose some of the profile, the sense of a jolly up on a weekend away (I hate b'pool, most don't), and it devalues the competition in my opinion.

I can see why these decisions weere made....but I don't think they all ultimately in the competitions best interests.

A game at the shay will be just another game and the nrc will return to be viewed with the same ambivalence it once was.

On the plus side though, like the Giants ground, its in the centre of the M62 so an easy drive from both Yorks and Lancs with good motorway access and rail links.

If it still existed, the McCain stadium in Scarborough would have been a good fit.

PA-670948.jpg

I can get to the Shay in about 20 minutes from mine. Dead handy. I'd never have gone to Blackpool. It's a winner!

it does'nt.....half that stadium is being put up at featherstone

Yeah I know. But it was in a decent location. It would have made a bit of a change and all that.

I much prefer a pint in fax rather than b'pool, which is a toilet! !! But im not representative of the majority.

B'pool made the comp a bit special. The shay doesn't and I hope the comp won't get sacked off by folk because of it.

I'll live wwith it. I'll be there if fev get to the final... come what may.

Thinking about it, is the NRC final televised? If so, I would expect the TV cameras to be in their usual position in the middle of the Skircoat stand, which will prospectively mean that at least one set of supporters will not be able to see a significant proportion of the pitch. :rolleyes: Not really great is it?

I may be wrong here, but don't the RFL own Odsal now, as part of bailing the Bulls out? Therefore they could hold the final there with no cost to themselves and it would be a neutral ground for whoever gets to the final. Neither Bradford or Halifax could be classed as glamorous, so I fail to see the difference?

The Shay is owned by the council isn't it as well? So surely they will charge some kind of fee for hiring it out for the day as they do for Halifax on game days, which is taking money out of the game anyway?

Another C*ck up by the RFL

I may be wrong here, but don't the RFL own Odsal now, as part of bailing the Bulls out? Therefore they could hold the final there with no cost to themselves and it would be a neutral ground for whoever gets to the final. Neither Bradford or Halifax could be classed as glamorous, so I fail to see the difference?

The Shay is owned by the council isn't it as well? So surely they will charge some kind of fee for hiring it out for the day as they do for Halifax on game days, which is taking money out of the game anyway?

Another C*ck up by the RFL

The Bulls host Hull FC the day after, it'll take a while to wash away the bile of the common folk...

:P

Nah, seemed a decent and apparent choice to me, but it would also be met with ridicule and derision so lose-lose.

Thinking about it, is the NRC final televised? If so, I would expect the TV cameras to be in their usual position in the middle of the Skircoat stand, which will prospectively mean that at least one set of supporters will not be able to see a significant proportion of the pitch. :rolleyes: Not really great is it?

The cameras can go in the East Stand. That's where the BBC were when we played Bradford.

The cameras can go in the East Stand. That's where the BBC were when we played Bradford.

The east stand is the skircoat isn't it? Or an I getting my geography muddled up?

Edit: nope, I was confused. Cameras were definitely in the skircoat for televised Fev games though. I hope there is a better solution.

The east stand is the skircoat isn't it? Or an I getting my geography muddled up?

Edit: nope, I was confused. Cameras were definitely in the skircoat for televised Fev games though. I hope there is a better solution.

Premier Sports film it from that stand on scaffolding for some reason. Probably so it facing the main stand. But the BBC and SKY put the cameras in the East stand when the Skircoat stand Is in use.

a idea could have been to drag the NRC out abit and play the final in london,at the stoop?,on the friday night before the challenge cup final on the saturday....

shame we've not got a decent stadium at oldham.....boundary park is perfectly placed for lanashire & yorkshire teams

Advice to people going to Halifax for the game. There are some good pubs in Halifax but don't go into The Three Pigeons.

Advice to people going to Halifax for the game. There are some good pubs in Halifax but don't go into The Three Pigeons.

Why?

When I've been to Halifax it was the best pub with lots of Ossett beers.Or has it changed?

terrible pub. Avoid at all costs. The beer is awful!!

I'm just guessing here bazz, but I'm reckoning that you don't do irony do you?? :lol:

Why?

When I've been to Halifax it was the best pub with lots of Ossett beers.Or has it changed?

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Don't want it getting too busy before the final. :D