Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

RFL shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year

75 posts in this topic

Is not just the Pro game the RFL have to run but the amateur game. There are many problems at this level A major concern for me even more so than the problems at SL/Championsip level is the development of the game at Grassroots level. We need to see more being done to help both heartland and development Leagues, clubs and schools. Its not just about money, though the cutting of Sport England money is a massive blow. Whats the plans for the future at Grassroots level? What does the RFL intend to do about development officers and growing as well as supporting the amateur nd junior game?

42?

The fact is the that RFL is shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year. Only in our sport would this be seen as a cause for criticism rather than a reason for rejoicing.

1. A major concern for me even more so than the problems at SL/Championsip level is the development of the game at Grassroots level.

2, The cutting of Sport England money is a massive blow.

1. Absolutely

2. Were the RFL to blame for this at all??

2. Were the RFL to blame for this at all??

Where did I blame them for the cut in Sport England money? The RFL are responsible for the development and support of the game across England. There are many problems within the amateur and Junior game. The loss of Development officers in Key areas is down to the RFL. What is the plan to help the game at amateur level in the future? What does the RFL plan to do to help increase participation levels and also help get more money in to this area of ther game?

Where did I blame them for the cut in Sport England money?

You didn't blame them, but Mr. Keighley seemed to blame the RFL for the sports England funding cut.

You know more about junior development than me so I wondered what were your thoughts on whether they were to blame?

or not? :)

Fundamentally when the RFL took the decision to sign the SKY contract we have discussed at length on here and concluded was SADLY the right decision for the game it was always going to blow a hole in the clubs below that elite. As long as the SKY contract isn't enough to fully resource an Elite league the Elite will always look to take whatever resources they can from the Championship.

So they buy Zac Hardaker, they sell Bulls season tickets in Batley and they use Hunslet as an "A" team.

The alternative is ring fence championship clubs and let the SL clubs go bust, or downsize back toward semi pro again.

They can't do that and so they have had to take the rough decisions that get them such a bad name with the Championship fans.

Haven't you noticed it's all the fans of the championship clubs who still hold out some hope their clubs will one day be in SL are the ones calling the RFL the most and questioning Mr. Wood's dietary practices.

Maybe the judges of the awards will take into account how darn hard running RL must be in such terrible circumstances where you have to fight against soccer's massively overwhelming popularity, and when you manage to have a minority interested in the handling game you have to fight the Rugby Union establishment for the interest of that minority.

Maybe the judges should chuck the RFL out because a small minority of people don't like the economic circumstances that drive the RFL's decision making, because their clubs suffer?

Maybe the RFL are making the best out of a bad job. All the things you post are true. However, if they are supposed to be the stewards of the total game, destroying half of it to safeguards a small echelon at the top is hardly fulfilling their mission. They are not deserved of thi award.

If they need to go back to semi pro because they are incapable of persuading Sky to cough up more or because Sky are unwilling to increase funding, then, in the interests of the greater game, SL should be made to shoulder a share of the pain and indeed go back to part time if they can't hack it. If they had gone back to part time wages then maybe they could have kept their junior teams and left the Championships alone. They were doing better on the financial survival front than the SL anyway.

When the British army lost all of it's equipment but managed to extricate itself from Dunkirk because of the bravery and heroism of ordinary British citizens bailing out the British Government, it was considered a minor miracle and saved the army but it wasn't deserving of the military organisation of the year award.

In the same way extricating the SL from the mire of financial mismanagement at the cost of ruining two thirds of the leagues clubs in the championships and losing their equipment obtained to assist the amateur game ( sport England money ) is hardly the mark of an organisation worhty of the title of best in the country.

42?

The fact is the that RFL is shortlisted for the Sport Governing Body of the Year. Only in our sport would this be seen as a cause for criticism rather than a reason for rejoicing.

The game is a predominantly Northern and working class creature. In those circles, we call a spade a spade. So, if the shoe dosn't fit in regards to this nomination, then, as a northerner and a working class person, I reserve the right to tell the truth as I see it.

I dont know the amateur game expertly, but I know a few people involved who have major concerns about things. Forcing clubs down the road to play Summer Rugby and having fixture lists with 3 or 4 week gaps etc. I hear many winter clubs using summer club players ,but then teams struggling when these players go back to their summer teams. I know a good number of players who have got fed up and gone playing Union in winter getting good money or playing cricket in summer giving up the game. The problems with development areas losing their Development officers etc. I dont know the answer as I dont know exactly what would be best for clubs and players as I only hear not see things.But I dont feel the RFL is serving the amateur game that well from what I hear from various people both who are at Heartland or Development clubs.

The game is a predominantly Northern and working class creature. In those circles, we call a spade a spade. So, if the shoe dosn't fit in regards to this nomination, then, as a northerner and a working class person, I reserve the right to tell the truth as I see it.

more like calling a spade a ###### shovel! :D

I think we are all in the same northern working class gutter. Its just some of us are looking at the stars!

I'm more Northern and way more working class than you and want to know how you decide this shoe doesn't fit? Because they are not perfect? Nobody is.

A bunch of outsiders think so, and sadly for you they have a different opinion.

Maybe the RFL are making the best out of a bad job. All the things you post are true. However, if they are supposed to be the stewards of the total game, destroying half of it to safeguards a small echelon at the top is hardly fulfilling their mission.

It's the small echelon at the top that..............

1. Attracts £90,000,000 from SKY every 5 years

2. Produces the vast bulk of professional players

3. Attracts 132,000 paying fans paying top dollar

4. Attracts very big TV audiences including admirers from all over the country

5. Attracts millionaires to come in and run their clubs.

6. Keeps the terrestrial TV's interest and respect

I really think that you vastly overestimate the importance of the championship clubs by a couple of hundred miles.

The failure to ensure targets were met to enable continuing Sport England funding and , as a result the retrenchment currently taking place in the amateur game, is a very bad outcome, for which the RFL, as architects of the player production plan put in place, are ultimately responsible.

whatever people think of the other points - this bit shows a real failure to understand the basics of the situation. a) what retrenchment? B) the Sport England monies and targets were not exactly helping the amateur game - our type of sport was not what the funding was designed for and as a result, we (or actually, the RFL!) did a very good job in securing the money in the first place! and c) the player production plan and its impact on amatuer rugby was damaging - because it tried to hard to keep pro-clubs (including the Championship clubs) happy.

too much on here is used a 'evidence' to justify a point. the same small group of people make the smae mis-informed points over and over again and then suggest its common knowledge that what the small group say is actually fact.

I really think that you vastly overestimate the importance of the championship clubs by a couple of hundred miles.

You missed probably the most important one out

7. Gets most kids interested in playing the game.

So. The RFL is still not looking out for a large part of its remit, i.e. anything below SL and therefore dont qualify for this award. Simple really.

So. The RFL is still not looking out for a large part of its remit, i.e. anything below SL and therefore dont qualify for this award. Simple really.

You better tell the people that decided otherwise, clearly you know more than they do.

You don't argue with the realities of what Superleague means to the game, including Bob's addition that Superleague gets kids interested/holds their interest in the game.

But to pretend that they don't bother with "anything below SL" is a contrivance, because you clearly don't want to mention that below the SL game is Championship clubs but below them are hundreds of Amateur and junior clubs that the RFL look out for in conjunction with SL clubs who are tied into many of these clubs and the inspiration for many of them playing.

In Superleague areas there are the bulk of the thriving amateur/kids clubs.

The past is the past and a wonderful thing it was but the RFL aren't going to let it drag them down as L'Ange says.

It's a tired old argument that the nasty RFL dont care. The reality is massive social and economic changes in sport have done for the smaller semi-pro clubs. If you want to reverse that then it's a free country, but you won't reverse anything contriving arguments with me.

I'm more Northern and way more working class than you and want to know how you decide this shoe doesn't fit? Because they are not perfect? Nobody is.

A bunch of outsiders think so, and sadly for you they have a different opinion.

I've already given my reasons for the ill fitting shoe so you can go back and read them. Maybe the outsiders don't have the full picture on the RL's governance of the whole game as they probably are only aware that SL exists and are somehat unknowledgeable about the forgotten bottom half of the game. It's not particulalrly sad for me if the RFL win the award, it will make the game look good to the outside world and, given the paucity of coverage RL gets, the fact that they don't actually deserve to get it can be a family secret.

You better tell the people that decided otherwise, clearly you know more than they do.

Clearly.

Maybe the outsiders don't have the full picture on the RL's governance of the whole game as they probably are only aware that SL exists and are somehat unknowledgeable about the forgotten bottom half of the game.

What's the make up of the "bottom half of the game" then or are you inferring RFL only bother about Superleague? Which would of course be ridiculous.

You don't argue with the realities of what Superleague means to the game, including Bob's addition that Superleague gets kids interested/holds their interest in the game.

But to pretend that they don't bother with "anything below SL" is a contrivance, because you clearly don't want to mention that below the SL game is Championship clubs but below them are hundreds of Amateur and junior clubs that the RFL look out for in conjunction with SL clubs who are tied into many of these clubs and the inspiration for many of them playing.

In Superleague areas there are the bulk of the thriving amateur/kids clubs.

The past is the past and a wonderful thing it was but the RFL aren't going to let it drag them down as L'Ange says.

It's a tired old argument that the nasty RFL dont care. The reality is massive social and economic changes in sport have done for the smaller semi-pro clubs. If you want to reverse that then it's a free country, but you won't reverse anything contriving arguments with me.

I'm not trying to reverse anything. I'm posting on a RL forum and your posting is contradicting my point so I am posting counter arguments to your point of view.

I'm not contriving anything.

That's your thing to make everything into a personal attack on you. You have done this countless times. You must be the most thin skinned person in the world of RL. Go on, get all huffy about that and re hash your point yet again ad infinitum.

I think we've been here before.

Again and again and again and again...

I'm not trying to reverse anything. I'm posting on a RL forum and your posting is contradicting my point so I am posting counter arguments to your point of view.

I'm not contriving anything.

That's your thing to make everything into a personal attack on you. You have done this countless times. You must be the most thin skinned person in the world of RL. Go on, get all huffy about that and re hash your point yet again ad infinitum.

"re hash your point yet again ad infinitum."

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Again and again and again and again...

Yep, I suspect another thread to be locked thanks to these two.

Yep, I suspect another thread to be locked thanks to these two.

If it get's locked I'll blame you for encouraging it :D