Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

del capo

Institutional Racism in RL

53 posts in this topic

Racism is the discrimination of a person or persons who are different from the perpetrator. Therefore French is a race, and any kind of bias or discrimination against them could be construed as RACISM

Err... No it isn't. You've defined racism using the definition of discrimination. Racism is one kind of discrimination, not all kinds. By your definition, calling Gareth Thomas a homo would be racism (when clearly it isn't).

Racism tends to cover race, ethnicity, descent, nationality and colour. There is no agreed definition however, since the subject of what constitutes a race is still open.

Don't limit it to those already mentioned, Leyth have been slaughtered in big games all my life - never has a 50/50 gone our way and imo that will be the case as long as Cummins is involved. He hates us and encourages those refs wanting to progress to hate us too - that must be racist in todays society especially with Leyth being far more important than London, French and Cumbria combined.

I'm hoping to God that this is tongue in cheek!

I'm hoping to God that this is tongue in cheek!

Maybe he has his tongue in his craiq.

. The biggest liability in the game, despite the occasional flashes of brilliance he's capable of showing.

Reminds me of some one else First name R second name C

Reminds me of some one else First name R second name C

go on give us a clue rubbish at crosswords

The OP has set up this thread really badly with his reference to 'institutionalised racism' when really he was asking whether Dragons get a fair crack of the whip from refs.

There is lots of historical research about actual institutional racism in sport, including the practise of 'stacking' in junior teams, and it'd be interesting to see a proper study into this in rugby league in 2013 to see whether our talent development systems are working efficiently.

Cats didn't get the 50/50 calls lastnight but if you've been to Catalan like I have a few times you know its a total reversal when they are at home. I remember Kirk Yeaman getting penalized once for getting punched and carried off with concussion.

I'm tempted to suggest your memory might be letting you down there mate.

I recall a controversial incident when a brawl broke out and after it had quietened down, Yeaman and a Cats player were sin binned in spite of Yeaman being around 40 yards away during the entire scrap.

If you're referring to another game, I offer my apologies.

I'm tempted to suggest your memory might be letting you down there mate.

I recall a controversial incident when a brawl broke out and after it had quietened down, Yeaman and a Cats player were sin binned in spite of Yeaman being around 40 yards away during the entire scrap.

If you're referring to another game, I offer my apologies.

You might be right I had been on that cheap french wine for two days before the game hic !

The OP has set up this thread really badly with his reference to 'institutionalised racism' when really he was asking whether Dragons get a fair crack of the whip from refs.

There is lots of historical research about actual institutional racism in sport, including the practise of 'stacking' in junior teams, and it'd be interesting to see a proper study into this in rugby league in 2013 to see whether our talent development systems are working efficiently.

Maybe the headline was a touch OTT Pottsy., but it has encouraged forum interest

I started the thread at half time and was just trying to work out how the 50 / 50 calls were going , to me , a neutral , seemingly one way. I didn't know that Phil Clarke had raised it previously....

That said google the definition according to McPherson . The bias can be unwitting , not deliberate at all but born out of our own northern almost tribal roots , battered for a century by outsiders......

If I were a Masters or even Doctors researcher there is a serious piece of work to be done for the benefit of the whole game. That would make a surely supported dissertation.

How could the RFL not support it .? We lead in so many areas and are again promoted as one of the best run games nationally . We have led in overt racism, Respect , Ethnicity and Diversity .

Time to lance this boil ( if it is one ) as well ?

I don't think any suggested bias against Catalans or London for that matter is racially motivated in any way shape or form and, as has been pointed out, strictly speaking French isn't a race anyway.

If you're really interested in finding out about institutionalised racism in sport, I'd suggest 'stacking' would be a more worthwhile focus for research as I'd be genuinely interested to see whether rugby league (particularly at junior/grassroots level) has made any real progress in this regard.

And what is 'stacking'?

Where people are given less important roles in the team due to their race such as put on the wing instead of stand off, that sort of thing. Not that I believe it happens in RL to any serious degree.

Any overt bias against broncos or Catalans should be encouraged. One is southern, the other French

Don't worry, the Broncos won't be around much longer. Then you can get back to "one former pit village" playing against "another former pit village".

Any overt bias against broncos or Catalans should be encouraged. One is southern, the other French

:huh: You may struggle to reach the 100 mark with content like that, even if it was meant as a joke.

And what is 'stacking'?

Sorry, it basically related to young athletes being stereotyped on racial grounds. Eg, black players being perceived as fast and moved into peripheral positions at an early age, without being given an opportunity in pivot/decision making roles (eg, quarterback, scrum half etc).

There have been various studies into this phenomenon in the past and you'd like to think we've moved on but it'd be interesting to find out for sure.

I assume that was a joke and I certainly read it that way. However, it might have been a good idea to stick an emoticon on the end just to be sure. ;)

Don't worry, the Broncos won't be around much longer. Then you can get back to "one former pit village" playing against "another former pit village".

You seem to have missed that the "tigers" in tigersfan is the Leicester variety rather than Cas.

Humourless lot arn't you

There is a lot of politics in RL that you have yet to discover. Suffice it to say that kind of comment might be taken at face value on here.

Where people are given less important roles in the team due to their race such as put on the wing instead of stand off, that sort of thing. Not that I believe it happens in RL to any serious degree.

Perhaps not nowadays but I'm pretty sure we weren't immune to this phenomenon.