Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gav Wilson

Knights v Halifax

72 posts in this topic

looking at the sqad it's going to be a damage limitation exercise

As long as the players give 100% that will do me.

As long as the players give 100% that will do me.

Always agree with your sentiments on that one John.

BUT, I am already getting a horrible feeling of deja vu, especially reading Press reports that bear striking similarities to the last couple of seasons, injuries to key players, not enough strength in depth, and availability of D.R. etc etc.

Apart from fans frustrations with displays last season we knew that essentially the club couldn't lose because of no relegation, but we're in a whole new ball game this year with the "little teams" scrapping to avoid the drop into oblivion. Lets hope the Knights are able to field a winning team in our "targetted" matches, as well as occasionally shocking the big boys.

In fact, lets start the shocks today!!

I think the fact that everyone stayed behind to cheer the lads even though we lost says everything really. Think we could have won if Sam Scott hadn't been injured about 15 minutes in. Good game, very pleased, even though it's a loss.

Today with the team we put out against a full Halifax 17 we just put the P back in proud, each and every man.

Great D on show esspecialy in the second half, well done guys.

Great performance today from 1 to 17, as Ian says proud to be a Knights fan lets have a few more days like this.

Couldn't ask for any more considering everything , losing Sam so early was a blow as we missed his effort & more importantly his defensive qualities but a great effort from everyone , well done to all

110% from all players today from a tough fax side,even laughton had a good game.

Just shows what can happen when ref is playing a fair game.

Good bit of banter from fax fans again ,looking forward to trip to fax.bring on Sheffield on Friday.

Did york have two tries disallowed?

Fantastic Effort 1 - 17, superb game couldn't take your eyes off it, big pat on the back to both sides for serving up a cracker played hard but in good spirit and with great banter from the stands.

Though Bowden and Handley both massive in defence, big wrap for Ed Smith who was excellent throughout,, but mom for me today was Jack Aldous total commitment and effort.

Well played lads, great way to bounce back after last weeks game.

Today with the team we put out against a full Halifax 17 we just put the P back in proud, each and every man.

Great D on show esspecialy in the second half, well done guys.

Yes,apart from Handforths belated Xmas present in the first half the Knights defence seemed a lot tighter than last week and the players deserve a lot of credit for keeping it going in the second half.

Actually think that overall a draw would have been a fair result and in a nervous second forty as the Knights got in their faces a strangely subdued Fax suddenly realised that they might lose.

Anthony Thackeray, a player I was sorry to see leave us, did nothing much today and an increasingly frustrated big Karl hauled him off in the second half.

It was a strange feeling leaving the stadium after a loss feeling that we had won but if the players show this sort of commitment during the rest of the campaign there's no reason why we shouldn't stay up.

Agree with all on here, fantastic effort by all the lads and if the disallowed try had stuck in the first half It might just have been a different outcome. Defensively probably one of the best performances I have seen from the Knights for a long long time, Ed Smiths tackle on our own line on their No.14 was immense and saved a certain try. Probably best display we have ever had out of old one eye as referee as well, limited penalties made a flowing game and despite no points either way in 2nd half it was a belter of a game. Honestly I was expecting a 30pts beating, bonus point was brilliant, however I also left the ground thinking what could have been.

Thanks to both sides who made a good spectacle.

Come on Knights follow this up at Sheffield on Friday with a similar display and we may come away with something from the Eagles for a change .

A lot closer than I thought it was going to be in all honesty.

Surprised so little mention of the crowds, given Halifax made up a decent proportion they've got to be a worry?

A lot closer than I thought it was going to be in all honesty.

Surprised so little mention of the crowds, given Halifax made up a decent proportion they've got to be a worry?

Why would we mention the crowds rather than a superb performance from every man that was on the pitch? No point dwelling on the negatives. This team will win games, we'll get into the playoffs and the crowds will come back, nowt to worry about.

Why would we mention the crowds rather than a superb performance from every man that was on the pitch? No point dwelling on the negatives. This team will win games, we'll get into the playoffs and the crowds will come back, nowt to worry about.

This.

So we can only post if we mention the positives?!

It was a superb performance and hopefully plenty more to come. But i'm also beginning to worry about attendances too. My memory isn't as short as some, I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

So we can only post if we mention the positives?!

It was a superb performance and hopefully plenty more to come. But i'm also beginning to worry about attendances too. My memory isn't as short as some, I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

We've got brass bands, kids for a quid, cheerleaders, junior game curtain raisers, and a decent competitive team that will hopefully win a few games this year.

We are now trying to interact with the fans as much as we can on twitter, facebook, the forums and by giving them a voice in the matchday magazine, so any suggestions are always welcome. Other than control the weather and hopefully get a few wins under our belt, what else can the Knights possibly do?

don't think it is a york thing. generally crowds are poor and after winning a few games in the last 2 or 3 seasons, it will take time to re-build the fan base.no p and r last season and duel reg this won't help as rl is slowly losing its credibility. on top of that 14 quid is a lot of money

Typical York sports fans , would rather go glory hunting 25 miles down the A64 than support their home town team , always been the same have Yorkies , very fickle , I've lived in a few different places over the years but always supported York RL teams & City , proud of my City roots but indifferent to its residents , a lot who seem to think they come from Leeds , I work there & believe me I'd take York anyday !

So we can only post if we mention the positives?! I was there for the last Wasps game so i'm sorry, but to me it's worth mentioning.

I was too. We're light years ahead of that sorry excuse for a club and you know it. We've got a decent team and everything necessary to underpin that, sponsorship is doing well and an excellent youth set-up, we've even got a new stadium on the horizon in the next couple of years. We got 900 odd there today regardless of whether they were York or Fax fans on a freezing day in February. Hardly panic stations is it?

Any suggestions to increase crowds would be greatly appreciated though, I'm sure of that.

Typical York sports fans , would rather go glory hunting 25 miles down the A64 than support their home town team , always been the same have Yorkies , very fickle , I've lived in a few different places over the years but always supported York RL teams & City , proud of my City roots but indifferent to its residents , a lot who seem to think they come from Leeds , I work there & believe me I'd take York anyday !

Well said Nigel, I travel all over with my job and never fail to think what a nice place York is to live whenever I am driving back home. Although not sure you can tar us all with same brush, Just not enough of us these days who will stay true to a struggling club so only when we put a few consistent performances together will we have any chance of attracting the fan base we had in 2003-2005, still think a dour 2006 started the rot. Already results showing there are no whipping boys in the league and we simply have to stay up, would like to see any funds saved from Kingy and Hardbottle spent even on one player to add to the squad, Bowden has some real go forward as did Tonks and Ambler for Fax, we need a running forward in the mould of Friendy.

Just to say what a really entertaining game today. Both sides put a lot of effort in, in a great spirit helped by a generally superb refereeing display. Sir Ronnie, I salute you.

Churlish to pick individuals out but Tom Carr and Jack Aldous were excellent, closely followed by Ed Smith, Josh Bowden, Dean Hadley and Jack Lee.

We matched Fax up front, which is a tough ask. One defensive glitch where a misunderstanding between Hadley and Browny let Handforth walk in but otherwide the defence was good.

GT said afterwards that he was disappointed that the Knights couldnt just pull off the win. Said the Kingy thing is dead in the water and hoping Fordy will be fit for Friday. Special mention for Austin Bell, who virtually played on one leg, against advice but knew his side were short of bodies.

Dont forget Friday is at Bramall Lane not Don Valley ( Acko's dodgy head for heights on that ruddy roof gantry !! ).

Meant to ask GT if he'd enquired as to whether Brett Seymour is available for DR ? :rolleyes:;)