Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

World Club Challenge: Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm

Who will win?   43 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 - 6 points
    • Melbourne Storm by 1 - 6 points
    • Melbourne Storm by 7 to 12 points
    • Melbourne Storm by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

229 posts in this topic

McGuires dummy and go try has always stuck in my head from that game. Brilliant piece of individual skill.

Interestingly, the highlights were from the BBC and were quite extensive, but they omitted the bit early where Barrie Mac came charging onto the ball and Tony Grimaldi attempted to tackle him. And the bit just afterward, where you could see Grimaldi's eyes revolving in different directions as cartoon bluebirds flew around his head.

Slightly related - I was going through the old stuff on the video recorder's hard drive last night and turned up highlights of the very entertaining WCC between Leeds and Canterbury from a few years back.

A few early/pre-season rusty moments (Leeds' first try especially), but also several incidences of excellent Rugby too. Anything as enjoyable to watch as that, and I'll be happy! :)

I remember that game too - particularly for two colossal shoulder charges by a young Sonny Bill Williams on Marcus Bai and Ryan Bailey that are among the most spectacular things I've ever seen. If anyone can post those on here, then I'd be grateful... It is odd to think that we'll never see that kind of impact on a rugby league field again.

There's a website where a guy called woodyaaaaa or something like that has uploaded extended highlights of that game. They could be on there. I'm sure the Bai one is anyway.

Ref: B Thaler Vid Ref: P Bentham Touch J: G Stokes Touch J: J Child Reserve: R Silverwood Time K: I McGregor M Com: P Crashley

There's a website where a guy called woodyaaaaa or something like that has uploaded extended highlights of that game. They could be on there. I'm sure the Bai one is anyway.

Thanks! I'll have a look...

All tickets sold for 2013 World Club Challenge

The 2013 World Club Challenge will be played out in front of a capacity crowd at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Friday night after the last remaining tickets for the showdown between Super League champions Leeds Rhinos and NRL Grand Final winners Melbourne Storm were sold.

All 20,400 tickets were snapped up as fans flocked to secure their place for the fixture between the two most successful Rugby League clubs of the modern era.

“It’s going to be a night to remember for every Rugby League supporter and I’m sure the atmosphere at Headingley Carnegie Stadium will be one that everyone at the game will remember for a long time to come,” said RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood.

“I would like to congratulate everyone concerned for their efforts in selling every single ticket and wish both clubs the best of luck on Friday night.

“With strong demand for tickets for the Rugby League World Cup which takes place in England and Wales at the end of the year, this news provides more evidence of the need for fans to purchase in advance to secure their seat at the biggest games.”

All the supporters who were unable to purchase a ticket for the 2013 World Club Challenge can still watch the historic action unfold as it happens live and exclusively on Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 1 HD from 7.30pm on Friday (8.00pm ko).

Leeds v Canterbury...

Part one

Part two

th_42B9069F-E900-4641-911E-90FBC5CCE1F8-3555-000003325BD6AFD6_zps884d2f38.jpg

Quick vid of Melbourne attacking in tonight's Training session against Fax at the Shay. Click on the still and it will take you to my photobucket account.

Here's them in Defense too:

th_AEA28E09-1C0F-4C5C-8C6B-0D492EBACD59-3555-00000331EB767AD8_zps10c7c01c.jpg

Fingers crossed for a rhinos win, best wishes to the rhinos on here.

Twig. Enjoy mate, big Ed routing for you matey.

Brownlee brothers to present the trophy.

Nice. :) Packed house, too.

Nice. :) Packed house, too.

There'll be another thread telling you about the Brownlee brothers along anytime soon...

There'll be another thread telling you about the Brownlee brothers along anytime soon...

Last track on side 2 of David Bowie's 'Hunky Dory'?

I can see Storm getting 10 points up and just killing the game off.......bit like they did against Canterbury in the GF.

Frighteningly efficient and consistent team........leeds will need to play like they do in september/october.

I think the Storm will attempt to get some early season rhythm first half, hold or win up front then spin it wide where their Halves and pace men will finish the game.

They will smother Leeds attack and counter punch.

You're old.

:P

You got the reference, grandad. ;)

I'm feeling good about the match. I'm shaping up to have a great weekend back up North in general, so I'm expecting a Leeds win now just to start it off with a bang!

None of this is based on team form etc, just got a good feeling

I'm feeling good about the match. I'm shaping up to have a great weekend back up North in general, so I'm expecting a Leeds win now just to start it off with a bang!

None of this is based on team form etc, just got a good feeling

I think you will be disappointed Mate :-)

The Storm are a Machine, they lost a few years ago in a close match in a near Gale with some pretty bad decisions against them. (2008)

They won in a canter in 2010 without ever hitting the afterburners.

They should win this by more than 15+

I think you will be disappointed Mate :-)

The Storm are a Machine, they lost a few years ago in a close match in a near Gale with some pretty bad decisions against them. (2008)

They won in a canter in 2010 without ever hitting the afterburners.

They should win this by more than 15+

I can't see why everyone thinks Melbourne will click into play off mode in their 1st game of the season. In season they are far from unbeatable. They just know how to raise their game in the playoffs, like Leeds, just better.

I was at their training session last night and I saw a couple of things that made me a bit more confident About friday. Fax were having a lot of joy down the Storms right edge and made a few breaks. They were getting caught out with the inside pass on a regular basis too. Melbourne did look very good with the ball though and the amount of runners they have on every play is crazy. Cronk was looking sharp too. I think he will have a massive game Friday.