See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THUNDERNEWS

Hemel Stags 22-42 Gateshead Thunder

33 posts in this topic

we reglarly see likes of Thunder knocked out of Challenge Cup by amature opposition, whichsays it al really.

Just for reference, here's where Thunder were knocked out in each year:

2001 - Whitehaven Rnd 4

2002 - Featherstone Rnd 3

2003 - Union Treiziste Catalane Rnd 3

2004 - Limoux Rnd 3

2005 - Union Treiziste Catalane Rnd 3

2006 - London Skolars Rnd 3

2007 - Salford Rnd 4

2008 - Pia XIII Rnd 3

2009 - St Helens Quarter Final

2010 - York City Knights Rnd 3

2011 - Harlequins Rnd 4

2012 - Swinton Rnd 4

Four teams beaten by amateurs since 2005. Workington, Dewsbury, Doncaster and London Skolars. What cup have you been watching?

How regularly does this happen?

I have to admit I'm more interested in this division than I have been for a long time. I think it helps that there are four teams - Oxford, All Golds, South Wales and Hemel within relatively easy reach of Bristol (Hemel is a bit of a trek but less of a trip than heading up North to watch games). It should also be pretty competitive, with a few tight contests. I'm looking forward to heading to see the All Golds in the NRC in a week or two.

Is there a few of you who travel to watch RL ?

How regularly does this happen?

What is this year's Thunder side like compared to last year's?

The fact that there are 3 new sides at least means that they should have a number of competitive fixtures. In fact, I consider this to be a competitive fixture - 20 points is nothing in RL.

It was competitive but Gateshead themselves have not been competitive in CC1 since they went bust and reformed. I'm hoping that this is because Gateshead have improved because otherwise the whole division could be lopsided with a lot of blow-outs.

If Hemel and the All Golds get off to bad starts I can just picture the general moaning and nashing of teeth amongst the heartland brigade - what a waste of time,it'll never catch on etc etc. This sport is so parochial is does........my..........head..............in

I'm not having a go at Hemel, who are a model club as far as I am concerned. I'm bemoaning the lack of a decent league pyramid system in British rugby league. In a perfect world, there wouldn't be huge jumps between one division and another. I don't think there is much alternative to what the RFL have done though.

That's a litle too critical Sol for a team playing first time in a higher div.Give them time to settle and adapt.

It's a fact thou.

Is there a few of you who travel to watch RL ?

I used to go with Phil C quite regularly, but he's busier with work so doesn't travel up North as much on weekends. I try and get to games when I can, though aside from internationals it's not as often as I'd like. Hopefully I might be reporting on some of the All Golds games this year, so will get to see them a lot. If not, I'll still go (and head to Oxford on occasions)

I used to go with Phil C quite regularly, but he's busier with work so doesn't travel up North as much on weekends. I try and get to games when I can, though aside from internationals it's not as often as I'd like. Hopefully I might be reporting on some of the All Golds games this year, so will get to see them a lot. If not, I'll still go (and head to Oxford on occasions)

Fair play to you mate, enjoy.

Do you ever take any newbies to the sport and if yes what is their general reaction ?