Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blotto

Shoulder charge banned (merged threads)

122 posts in this topic

That's the most disturbing line I've ever read on here.

I'm just devestated to learn that we've got rid of the play-the-ball, added two extra players, put in line outs and insisted that none of our players are trained in the art of 'catching a football' and must instead learn about 'dark arts', subtle nuancies and the biscuit game.

the ARLC,NRL or now the RLIF still have'nt told us what constitutes a "shoulder charge"

To overcome this the Sports Administrators have allowed sneering at your opponent instead, but if the opponent burst into tears the perpertrator is yellow carded!

the ARLC,NRL or now the RLIF still have'nt told us what constitutes a "shoulder charge"

Yes, apart from this bit of the new rules they are being totally silent.

The definition of an illegal shoulder charge is: “Where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grabs or holds the ball-carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact using the shoulder or the upper arm (tucked into the side)”

I think the shoulder charge should be banned because it causes an extra risk of injury to both the tackler and the tackled player. That overrides any concerns about whether or not we are following RU's lead by banning it.

Tbh there have been a couple of challenges already this year which have made it more difficult to argue against a ban.

The World Cup is months away and the Aussies are already stacking the deck in there favour.

i suggest we ban it in sl.

If it is banned internatiinally we are only screwing ourselves by being stubborn.

Tbh there have been a couple of challenges already this year which have made it more difficult to argue against a ban.

And they've all been shots to the head. Which are already banned.

i suggest we ban it in sl.

If it is banned internatiinally we are only screwing ourselves by being stubborn.

But where will we get our moral superiority and non-whinging reasons for defeat from then?

But where will we get our moral superiority and non-whinging reasons for defeat from then?

All the drugs that they're all on

And they've all been shots to the head. Which are already banned.

But the issue is that a shoulder charge going wrong is much worse than a 'normal' tackle going wrong in general.

The hit on O'Brien at the weekend didn't really look high - initial impact looked shoulder to shoulder and the whiplash effect caused him to be knocked out - this isn;t great. Add this to the two players knocked out with purely illegal shoulder charges in the head and there is a real issue here waiting to happen.

So what happens if a player does a shoulder charge? Penalty or penalty and a card?

So what happens if a player does a shoulder charge? Penalty or penalty and a card?

What was it in the All Stars game? Just a penalty?

you got a link to that???

Just to be clear, the definition gingerjon gave is not new. It has been in the ARL rule book for many years because it was already banned there for under 18s.

You can find last season's version laws on the NRL web site.

Mmmunno. I didn't watch it.

I think it’s now pretty much indefensible to retain the charge. I suspect the RFL’s only real reason for steering their own course was the slightly childish desire of not wanting to face criticism for following the bigger and better NRL’s lead. There was sports science behind the NRL’s decision and the first few rounds of SL have seen some dubious hits, as did the first few rounds last year. For once Stevo has it right on his Sky page – we want to be encouraging more kids to take up RL and bigger, harder and more dubious clatters to their upper torso are not really the best way to go about that. Yes we all like a big hit but there are still legal ways to do that and ultimately it has to be about putting the safety of our lads above the blood lust of the spectators.

In general I think refs are being too lenient on dangerous tackles just now. I keep seeing numerous cases of legs being raised above the perpendicular in every game but have yet to see one sin binning. That’s a slightly different argument as it’s about implementation of adequate rulings rather than poor rulings themselves but I’m personally a bit worried about the general direction the game is taking and fear that it’ll take a bad injury before we reassess the macho tough guy stance coming out of RFL headquarters of late. Sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Yep, and the ref was almost embarrassed to give it.

We've discussed this before and my view hasn't changed. You can ban dangerous shoulder charges (and enforce it) without banning the shoulder charge. If we got rid of the pathetic 'he made contact with shoulder first' interpretation and just penalised tackles where the defender's shoulder ends up going straight through the tackler's chin (see Leuluai, or the O'Brien hit), we'd solve the problem we have.

What will happen is that we will see completely harmless tackles penalised on a technicality, and we'll all be back moaning about it after a big game.

We've discussed this before and my view hasn't changed. You can ban dangerous shoulder charges (and enforce it) without banning the shoulder charge. If we got rid of the pathetic 'he made contact with shoulder first' interpretation and just penalised tackles where the defender's shoulder ends up going straight through the tackler's chin (see Leuluai, or the O'Brien hit), we'd solve the problem we have.

What will happen is that we will see completely harmless tackles penalised on a technicality, and we'll all be back moaning about it after a big game.

The RFL really haven't helped themselves on this one.

My stance last year was to clamp down hard on these incidents and get them out of the game that way. They gave 4 weeks to the Catalan lad for a late and high hit which could have killed somebody and was pretty much as bad an incident as you could get. This should have been 8-10 games and it would have sent out a very strong message.

They then give Chase 2 matches - despite having history in the last 12months on this.

Okay - very quickly, in my opinion (which also hasn't changed), a shoulder charge never properly controllable not least because of the changes in posture and direction the player about to be hit may make which can often make things worse. Banning it is simpler and fairer that arbitrarily deciding what is and is not 'dangerous'.

That said ... my opinion doesn't matter. It's banned in the colonies. It's banned in international football. How is Super League helping anybody by keeping it in its rules when it's gone everywhere else?

But the issue is that a shoulder charge going wrong is much worse than a 'normal' tackle going wrong in general.

Which is why an incorrect shoulder charge should have a higher punishment than an incorrect tackle.

I believe the gist of what McDermott (who was all in favour of keeping them) was: It's not being policed properly so we might as well ban it

That said ... my opinion doesn't matter. It's banned in the colonies. It's banned in international football. How is Super League helping anybody by keeping it in its rules when it's gone everywhere else?

Because I think the Australians will soon realise it's a bad idea, and go to either reversing the rule change completely or decide to turn a blind eye to it unless it's a real bad one.