Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

91 posts in this topic

PRESS RELEASE

Castleford Tigers CEO, Steve Ferres has made the decision to leave the club with immediate effect.

Ferres said, “In the short time I have been at the club, a successful membership scheme, fast approaching 4,000, has been launched which has seen season ticket sales increase on the previous year by 25%. It has brought in much needed revenue to the club and in doing so, provided a model which can and should be the catalyst to help sustain a viable business.

“As CEO I believe I have a moral obligation to everyone associated to the Tigers from its staff to the players and right through to its loyal fans. Since the board is not in a position to support the multitude of changes that I believe must take place now in order for Castleford to continue to compete at Super League level, I feel I have no option other than to offer my resignation.

“I am an extremely proud man and a proud Castleford man at that so please rest assured that this decision was not made lightly.

“I would like to thank the fans for their fantastic support and indeed the staff for their hard work in implementing the new membership scheme. The club requires significant investment in order to continue and I truly hope the board can secure the necessary financial support in the coming months.

“I have informed the board that I am willing to offer my support in an advisory capacity should it be required.”

Steve Ferres resigns from Cas. What's gone wrong now I wonder? Not looking good when the BOD aren't able to give their backing to their new CEO.

Steve Ferres resigns from Cas. What's gone wrong now I wonder? Not looking good when the BOD aren't able to give their backing to their new CEO.

I blame:

Dual registration*

Lack of P&R*

* delete as applicable.

Steve Ferres resigns from Cas. What's gone wrong now I wonder?

I would imagine the same as before he arrived.

I blame:

Dual registration*

Lack of P&R*

* delete as applicable.

Combination of both I'd say and not enough money to sustain a reserve side

I blame:

Dual registration*

Lack of P&R*

* delete as applicable.

And licensing.

Wonder if he'll end up at Fev. :ph34r::lol:

Seriously, that's not good news for Cas. Sounds like his plans for progress were being hindered by a lack of cash/support from the board, so he's decided enough is enough and walked.

I'd like to hear the full story before just taking Steve"track record" Ferres word for it.

on the face of it, it's not looking great at all for us now but time will tell.

Save our Salford

Pledge to the Bulls

now Cas up ###### creek - please help

look forward to the RL family coming together once more (or a rich Doctor who likes horse racing)

I'd like to hear the full story before just taking Steve"track record" Ferres word for it.

I see where you're coming from in that, however given the lack of info that has come out of Cas over the last few years, I suspect that it is wishful thinking that you'll hear the BODs side of the story.

Save our Salford

Pledge to the Bulls

look forward to the RL family coming together once more (or a rich Doctor who likes horse racing)

Well I for one, genuinely hope they get it sorted Kenny. My wish is to see Rovers get the nod for SL and the Cas/Fev derbies back on the agenda. There's nothing I'd like more.

Combination of both I'd say and not enough money to sustain a reserve side

Dual Reg and P & R are certainly not in any way problems for a Superleague club, but I'll take that as being toungue in cheek.

He said "I provided a model which can and should be the catalyst to help sustain a viable business. Since the board is not in a position to support the multitude of changes that I believe must take place now in order for Castleford to continue to compete at Super League level, I feel I have no option other than to offer my resignation".

So they don't see eye to eye making his position untenable.

Whatever the detail is to me it looks like the board should do what Wilko and Clague did and offer the club to someone who can do the job.

Dual Reg and P & R are certainly not in any way problems for a Superleague club, but I'll take that as being toungue in cheek.

Yes, It was a daft response to an even dafter posting Parky.

Wasn't Ferres an RFL employee before going to Cas?.. i always thought it was the RFL encouraging Cas to take him on to help get their house in order so to speak..

but maybe i'm wrong.

I'd heard that there was some trouble darn t'lane, but this is a bit of a shock.

Let's hope it's only a disagreement and not something more serious, a la Salford and Bradford Northern.

He said "I provided a model which can and should be the catalyst to help sustain a viable business. Since the board is not in a position to support the multitude of changes that I believe must take place now in order for Castleford to continue to compete at Super League level, I feel I have no option other than to offer my resignation".

So they don't see eye to eye making his position untenable.

Not necessarily; the wording doesn't make it clear if they are actually opposed to his plans, or they simply don't have the resources to put them into effect. I expect things will be made clearer in the next few days.

Save our Salford

Pledge to the Bulls

Even though you have consistently behaved as an absolute wassock whenever Bulls crops up, I have no hesitation in stating that - should a realistic proposition eventuate that is seeking contributions from outside the Cas fanbase - I would almost certainly contribute. Write that down someplace. If a club like Cas is struggling for a future, the game really is fekked.

What does it say? Twitter is blocked at work

Basically he thinks Cas and wakey should merge.

Not necessarily; the wording doesn't make it clear if they are actually opposed to his plans, or they simply don't have the resources to put them into effect. I expect things will be made clearer in the next few days.

Interesting though that they've put the statement on their own website, without any response from the club. If the club were going to dispute his points, would they have done that?

Basically he thinks Cas and wakey should merge.

Think it was a bit tongue in cheek, knowing it would provoke a reaction!

Bearing in mind before that he said he was going to dust off his CV and send it to Cas for the CEO job! He then said one of the first jobs as CEo would be to merge Cas and Wakey! :ph34r:

Im completely against forcing a merger between any of the WMDC clubs but if Cas are in as bad a shape as I'm hearing they look destined for administration/liquidation and that would be a travesty for RL as a whole. Wakefield isnt Manchester and finding a Koukash will be very difficult, Castleford are not Wakefield and they equally might find it hard to uncover a Glover even.

so Cas have no money, future looks bleak but they have a SL franchise and a ground to sell.

Fev have money, want a SL franchise which theyll have a job on to get, have a stadium which is being brought up to standard.

I hate mergers as I said but the planets are aligning on this one.

Im completely against forcing a merger between any of the WMDC clubs but if Cas are in as bad a shape as I'm hearing they look destined for administration/liquidation and that would be a travesty for RL as a whole. Wakefield isnt Manchester and finding a Koukash will be very difficult, Castleford are not Wakefield and they equally might find it hard to uncover a Glover even.

so Cas have no money, future looks bleak but they have a SL franchise and a ground to sell.

Fev have money, want a SL franchise which theyll have a job on to get, have a stadium which is being brought up to standard.

I hate mergers as I said but the planets are aligning on this one.

Why are they aligning a merger?

Could one club simply not replace the other if that scenario played out? (which I hope it doesn't)

Why are they aligning a merger?

Could one club simply not replace the other if that scenario played out? (which I hope it doesn't)

And, of course, Wakey don't have a new ground yet. If us and Cas did merge it could mean bye bye Wildcats.