Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

91 posts in this topic

It's a funny old game some times. 2 years ago Wakey were on the brink and Cas had their stadium approved and were all guns ahead to build it. Wakey looked like going out of business, while Cas were looking like becoming competition challengers.

Fast forward to now, Wakey are a model club with a great competitive side, crowds are up and a stadium guaranteed. Conversely Cas stadium is on the rocks, the team s struggling and the future looks bleak. But it shows how fortunes can change quickly in he game. I wouldn't write off Cas yet. However, long-tem, I can't see more than 1 team from the Wakey region being successful.

Those saying Fev should replace them, think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

At least with Widnes and Catalans (when they were admitted to SL) you knew it was likely to be successful in the long-term as hey had the resources, infrastructure and catchment areas to do it. These clubs are now yielding results.

Getting back to the main point, the aim of SL is to be a competitive, strong league where any team can win it. Despite its problems, the competition isnt far off achieving this. Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO

ha ha ha ha what results are widnes yielding and how far are we off any team in the league winning the title, you couldn't be further from the truth

Goldcoaster are you after a job at the RFL If you think any team can beat anyone you must be watching the championship because S/L is no where near that

As for Cas clubs have ups and downs lets see what happens

ha ha ha ha what results are widnes yielding and how far are we off any team in the league winning the title, you couldn't be further from the truth

Perhaps not at his moment. Right now I believe Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Catalans, Huddersfield and Hull FC are all title challengers. 5 years ago, only Leeds, Saints, Bradford and Wigan were. In the next 3 years, I believe Bradford, Widnes, Wakey and Salford can also become consistent challenges. That would make 11 of 14 teams being challengers for the title.

If any new teams are added, they need to be able to be like the 11 challengers, and less like the 3 also-rans. I can only see Fev bing me of he also-rans, which is why I do not favour their elevation to SL. I mean no offence t Fev fans (nor fans of Cas, London and Hull KR) it's just the way I see them in the context of the competition.

Any club could become challengers if they had investment, there's nothing to say that in 5 yrs that some current investors have moved on and a lot of the clubs you have listed are just also rans again. But I don't think in 3 yrs there will be 11 clubs challenging for the title

Perhaps not at his moment. Right now I believe Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Catalans, Huddersfield and Hull FC are all title challengers. 5 years ago, only Leeds, Saints, Bradford and Wigan were. In the next 3 years, I believe Bradford, Widnes, Wakey and Salford can also become consistent challenges. That would make 11 of 14 teams being challengers for the title.

If any new teams are added, they need to be able to be like the 11 challengers, and less like the 3 also-rans. I can only see Fev bing me of he also-rans, which is why I do not favour their elevation to SL. I mean no offence t Fev fans (nor fans of Cas, London and Hull KR) it's just the way I see them in the context of the competition.

even after 3 games the league table has already taken shape and probably won't be much different come the end of the season, the same teams towards the bottom and the same towards the top. Your optimistic outlook just isn't going to ever happen, although hope your right.

That's basically what I'm saying Richard. There is a process to go through which is available to all with set criteria which Rovers are meeting just now. Omega is saying that Rovers will struggle to get a licence purely because of established clubs already in the WMDC area. My point is that through the channels of dialogue which have taken place between the club and RFL, Rovers will surely have a good idea as to their chances in this respect.

Oh dear another post from "Worried of Featherstone".

14 clubs is a great number and I hope they keep it. When licenses come round how many serious applications will there be?

Not that that matters the rule is the RFL/SLE WILL give a place to a CC club who meets criteria.

That's Fev by a mile as it stands.

You can't rule out some sort of massive change in policy but as time goes on you can't envisage this happening so close to the next licensing decision.

What we have agreed in debating matters is Fev would struggle without a benefactors and you yourself named Mr. Nahaboo.

I'd stick to worrying about him rather than the RFL. If he'll guarantee a full cap spend available your as good as any club.

Oh dear another post from "Worried of Featherstone".

14 clubs is a great number and I hope they keep it. When licenses come round how many serious applications will there be?

Not that that matters the rule is the RFL/SLE WILL give a place to a CC club who meets criteria.

That's Fev by a mile as it stands.

You can't rule out some sort of massive change in policy but as time goes on you can't envisage this happening so close to the next licensing decision.

What we have agreed in debating matters is Fev would struggle without a benefactors and you yourself named Mr. Nahaboo.

I'd stick to worrying about him rather than the RFL. If he'll guarantee a full cap spend available your as good as any club.

I'm not worried at all Parky, just the opposite if you read my posting in its true context. Neither do I have any worries about Feisal Nahaboo. Cas could do with him right now but they had their chance and blew it. His disillusionment with the Tigers is perhaps much more understandable given the departure of Steve Ferres and the content of his farewell statement.

So you don't think a Featherstone Rovers club spending full cap would be able to challenge? Why is that?

even after 3 games the league table has already taken shape and probably won't be much different come the end of the season, the same teams towards the bottom and the same towards the top. Your optimistic outlook just isn't going to ever happen, although hope your right.

How are St Helens currently fitting into that template?

I'm not worried at all Parky, just the opposite if you read my posting in its true context. Neither do I have any worries about Feisal Nahaboo. Cas could do with him right now but they had their chance and blew it. His disillusionment with the Tigers is perhaps much more understandable given the departure of Steve Ferres and the content of his farewell statement.

Sorry Terry, and I know you'll disagree with this but we could not "do with Feisal" right now I can assure you. Feisal "gives" nothing, rather helps out and wants a big return on his investment

Sorry Terry, and I know you'll disagree with this but we could not "do with Feisal" right now I can assure you. Feisal "gives" nothing, rather helps out and wants a big return on his investment

that may well have been the position at cas... I wouldn't know.

But it doesn't appear to be the case at fev. Money up front is always a good sign and if he's wanting a big return (and I've heard nowt whatsoever that suggests that), fev is the wrong place to be!

So far, feisal's relationship wi fev appears very positive!

Those saying Fev should replace them, think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

At least with Widnes and Catalans (when they were admitted to SL) you knew it was likely to be successful in the long-term as hey had the resources, infrastructure and catchment areas to do it. These clubs are now yielding results.

Getting back to the main point, the aim of SL is to be a competitive, strong league where any team can win it. Despite its problems, the competition isnt far off achieving this. Thus I believe any new clubs who come into the comp, should have the potential to challenge. Cas (in its current form) and Fev do not have this.

All IMO

Wide of the mark YET AGAIN.

We have the same catchment area as Cas!

We have investors and more investors lined up!

We have a board and coach who dont want to make up the numbers.

Your posts sbout our club are ignorant at best.

How are St Helens currently fitting into that template?

im not saying stop now it won't change of course clubs will finish lower or higher than they currently are, although I don't think saints will finish top six to be honest they seem to be going through a transitional period. But the table seems to be taking a familiar look with the teams at the bottom.

Cas are one of the (thankfully) ever diminishing group of SL clubs who have a board who are simply not up to the demands of running a modern professional rugby league club. Steve Ferres isn't exactly what you'd call a completer/finisher, he's been at Wakey, Cas, York & Sheffield? at least ....

Steve Ferres has never been in an administrative post at Sheffield. He was assistant coach until 1993.

So what was he asking Cas for Kenny? I keep hearing this type of thing about the bloke but no one has ever come up with any solid evidence. He has already put money into Rovers with no strings and makes it clear that more is available should Daryl need to strengthen. Why would he come out with the following if he wasn't sincerely behind the club http://www.featherstonerovers.net/article.php?id=10550

Faisal wanted allegedly the information from all the members and sponsors at Fax so he could contact them with his Probiz hat on. He also wanted to take control at Fax. Allegedly the Fax board were unhappy with this and said "no!" and he left Fax for Cas. Why he left Cas is unknown but it wouldnt surprise me if the reason why I heard he left Fax are similar to the reasons he left Cas. Faisal seems never to stay around that long at clubs. Maybe Fev is different and I hope he puts some cash Fevs way and I am really pleased they are spending it on the ground and Youth areas and not just throwing it away like so many clubs have or are doing.

What bothers me about Feisal is that he has more pies than fingers.

How can he say he's 100% committed to Rovers when his firm also backs 13* other sporting entities ?

I'm very happy he's not sponsoring us. Not that he hasn't been sniffing round, apparently.

*Well it was 13 last time I looked.

Is that why he got involved at Wigan? :D

Faisal wanted allegedly the information from all the members and sponsors at Fax so he could contact them with his Probiz hat on. He also wanted to take control at Fax. Allegedly the Fax board were unhappy with this and said "no!" and he left Fax for Cas. Why he left Cas is unknown but it wouldnt surprise me if the reason why I heard he left Fax are similar to the reasons he left Cas. Faisal seems never to stay around that long at clubs. Maybe Fev is different and I hope he puts some cash Fevs way and I am really pleased they are spending it on the ground and Youth areas and not just throwing it away like so many clubs have or are doing.

Or maybe the reasons he left Cas are similar to those of Steve Ferres. Our CEO was at Cas when Feisal was involved which begs the question... why would he bring him to Fev if he's not right for us? Doesn't make sense.

How can he say he's 100% committed to Rovers when his firm also backs 13* other sporting entities ?

I'm very happy he's not sponsoring us. Not that he hasn't been sniffing round, apparently.

*Well it was 13 last time I looked.

Well maybe he's personally 100 % committed to Rovers? It does happen

Well maybe he's personally 100 % committed to Rovers? It does happen

Maybe he is.