Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Castleford Tigers CEO Steve Ferres resigns

91 posts in this topic

Those saying Fev should replace (CAS), think about the comp as a whole. If Fev came in, they would be a struggler in the long and short term. I can't ever see them challenging for top honours. Their catchment area is simply too small, and they lack the resources and infrastructure to challenge. Why bring in a side that won't add to the competition? IMO, the region is already served by Wakey.

Region is the word.....

That's how the RFL saw it 1996 with the region (and other regions) being served by one club.

However if you look at it from a practical rather than a theoretical point of view the Cheshire region is already served by Warrington, Hull is already served by HullFC and east pennines is already served by Bradford.

So no need for Widnes HKR or Huddersfield either.

Without doubt if you had successful SL clubs blossoming in Gateshead, South Wales, Paris, Toulouse etc, then such as these clubs may not get into Superleague never mind dear old Featherstone Rovers.

But whilst we only have nine regions in the country where RL is strong enough to operate in at Superleague level (and I include London in that) we are short of "viable" clubs even for a 10 club league.

So the number of clubs set for SL 2015-2018 may dictate chances for clubs. If it's 14 clubs which I hope it is the first picks will be those with the fans to self sustain. After that it's those with the rich men to pay for the empty seats.

The debate is already moving to wether Faisal Nahaboo will be another Ken Davey or another Tony Larvin for very good reason and this is where Rovers survival may lie, albeit one poster has already referred to unamed "other investors". i see no point in arguing a point that will only be proved or disproved come the business plan for the application.

In terms of "resources" and the number of clubs in the area, the area recently held games at all three grounds with a total attendance of over 20,000 people. Split evenly (in theory) that is enough support for two Superleague clubs as it stands. These crowds are for clubs who are failing in SL, collapsed in SL last year and are in the Championship so who is to say two successful clubs cannot attain 10,000 crowds???

In terms of quality players the ability of the Cas/Pontefract/Featherstone area is a match for Wigan and Leeds. Wakefield's record is actually poor.

So the fan and playing resources are there for two clubs to do very well in the area. What is currently lacking is the investment in the facilities and the teams to maximise the audiense and keep the best players in the region.

If two clubs can do well in Hull, Cheshire etc then two can certainly do well in Calder......

Region is the word.....

That's how the RFL saw it 1996 with the region (and other regions) being served by one club.

However if you look at it from a practical rather than a theoretical point of view the Cheshire region is already served by Warrington, Hull is already served by HullFC and east pennines is already served by Bradford.

So no need for Widnes HKR or Huddersfield either.

Without doubt if you had successful SL clubs blossoming in Gateshead, South Wales, Paris, Toulouse etc, then such as these clubs may not get into Superleague never mind dear old Featherstone Rovers.

But whilst we only have nine regions in the country where RL is strong enough to operate in at Superleague level (and I include London in that) we are short of "viable" clubs even for a 10 club league.

So the number of clubs set for SL 2015-2018 may dictate chances for clubs. If it's 14 clubs which I hope it is the first picks will be those with the fans to self sustain. After that it's those with the rich men to pay for the empty seats.

The debate is already moving to wether Faisal Nahaboo will be another Ken Davey or another Tony Larvin for very good reason and this is where Rovers survival may lie, albeit one poster has already referred to unamed "other investors". i see no point in arguing a point that will only be proved or disproved come the business plan for the application.

In terms of "resources" and the number of clubs in the area, the area recently held games at all three grounds with a total attendance of over 20,000 people. Split evenly (in theory) that is enough support for two Superleague clubs as it stands. These crowds are for clubs who are failing in SL, collapsed in SL last year and are in the Championship so who is to say two successful clubs cannot attain 10,000 crowds???

In terms of quality players the ability of the Cas/Pontefract/Featherstone area is a match for Wigan and Leeds. Wakefield's record is actually poor.

So the fan and playing resources are there for two clubs to do very well in the area. What is currently lacking is the investment in the facilities and the teams to maximise the audiense and keep the best players in the region.

If two clubs can do well in Hull, Cheshire etc then two can certainly do well in Calder......

Excellent post

Saints are doing just fine. They're exactly where we want them. I don't think it's a ridiculous assertion by any means to argue that we'll soon have 11 competitive teams, simply by virtue of their all spending up to the cap. There may be more than that even. It will take years for teams to gel or go off the boil, but we could see a good SL.

It's pretty clear what Cas need - a sugar daddy like pretty much all the other teams in the league.

So CEO goes and then the merge brigade comes out.

If it would be such a good idea for team to merge then why not take it all the way. Merge everyone into two teams because following the other pro merge arguments the two teams would get 30K+ crowds every game, they would be massively rich as all the boards of the previous clubs would be on board. The teams would be full of players from its en-catchment area.

The season could work play 8 times home and 8 times away against the other team in a league to give a 16 game league.

The top 2 teams then go into a playoff.

Loser of the first playoff game gets a 2nd go, winner gets to choose its opposition in club-call.

Think merging is a stupid idea yet?

So CEO goes and then the merge brigade comes out.

If it would be such a good idea for team to merge then why not take it all the way. Merge everyone into two teams because following the other pro merge arguments the two teams would get 30K+ crowds every game, they would be massively rich as all the boards of the previous clubs would be on board. The teams would be full of players from its en-catchment area.

The season could work play 8 times home and 8 times away against the other team in a league to give a 16 game league.

The top 2 teams then go into a playoff.

Loser of the first playoff game gets a 2nd go, winner gets to choose its opposition in club-call.

I could see that working - provided there was dual registration. B)

So CEO goes and then the merger brigade comes out.

If it would be such a good idea for team to merge then why not take it all the way. Merge everyone into two teams

No the stupid idea is overdoing the point to create the nonsense you create.

For Cas/Fev/Wakey the "Merger brigade" is only a couple of people and there's no need to get wound up about them.

Wakefield won't merge because even in Belle Vue they are getting towards the crowds they need to generate the income for a stable club. All they need is to take that on apace to Newmarket and from there start to entice the best young talent in the area to join them rather than go to Leeds and Hull.

Featherstone won't merge because even though they are unlikely to get 10,000 crowds they have money men principally Mr. nahaboo they hope will do what Ken Davey and his ilk do - make up the shortfall in finance so the club have the investment to build.

Featherstone will put pressure on fans in the area to come watch them, and young players in the area to come and join them and by the area I mean Wakey.Cas/Normaton/Fev/and beyond.

They'll all wish each other well in public but in private the collapse of any one of them will leave the others going into vulture mode not merger mode.

The only merger scenario I see is Cas failing in SL and Fev not getting in 2015 leaving Wakefield to look to attract future support and players into the one club.

This is very much like the scenario where Hunslet and Bramley had merger talks as the spectre of the Leeds giant loomed over them. The talks were a result of desperation and certainly not as a result of a good business idea and so they collapsed.

Mergers are dead, but dominating your neighbour so much that the best kids from their area come to you, and the new fans from their area come and watch you, is the order of the day and has been for a decade......

Getting back on topic, kind of at least, for a moment; I've just been reading the attached article. Taking aside for a moment what it actually says (not a lot to be honest), it did make me wonder, how old is Jack Fulton and do Cas have a plan for when he is no longer here to fund the club?

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/castleford-tigers/tigers-chairman-we-need-the-fans-to-stick-with-us-1-5432413

I've just been reading the attached article. It did make me wonder, how old is Jack Fulton and do Cas have a plan for when he is no longer here.......

Close to being in bad taste that :D

I think you can rest assured they have a plan and it will be very much like the one Wakefield had when Mr. Richardson "passed away" so to speak.

Getting back on topic, kind of at least, for a moment; I've just been reading the attached article. Taking aside for a moment what it actually says (not a lot to be honest), it did make me wonder, how old is Jack Fulton and do Cas have a plan for when he is no longer here to fund the club?

http://www.pontefrac...th-us-1-5432413

Jack will be 81 on 8th May.

Fozzard has walked now...

The job advert in the RL & LE said about wanting a CEO to help the club be self sustaining in Superleague.

I think they could do it but they need investment to develop the ground and keep the players.

If Mr. Fulton is prepared to invest - which he may not given Ferres walking...

Then shouldn't the honorable thing to do be to offer the club for sale to a new owner?

Or are Cas already available to the right investor??

If Mr. Fulton is prepared to invest - which he may not given Ferres walking...

He is - his statements have said so.

No issue