Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

philipw

Steve McCormack Resigns

60 posts in this topic

Or perhaps he knew his mind was not fully on the task in hand and took the hard decision to resign. I know what I believe.

Before I comment I just want to say thanks to Steve for achieving something I never thought Id see us do, in winning the Championship (1).

There is no doubt in my mind that the main reason for Steve's departure are the personal reasons we all know have been difficult for him.

What I will say however is that in SOME aspects I do agree with Phil in that I really do not believe a coach of Steve's experience and quality would leave it until nearly February to complete his squad. I cant help but feel the Kidd's had a lot to do with it all in the way of withholding resources until the Warrington DR connection was set in stone. This has left us with the skeleton of last years squad plus a load of new inexperienced guys whos main interest is elsewhere, and it shows. They look like they have never played together on the field, the squad is consistently changing week-in, week-out, and it has resulted in us getting one bonus point out of 2 of our 'winnable' games. Looking at our 4 wins last year, we NEED to win our 'winnable' games if we are to have any chance of staying in this league.

Im not saying Steve left the club for this reason by any means, but I do believe it has put a lot of extra pressure on him, which taking into consideration his family problems, has probably made the decision for him.

Just to back up what I have said here are two videos from our championship winning season, when was the last time our team spirit looked that high? When was the last time we were that organised on the field? When was the last time our players looked that motivated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrsvlOKf3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxs6FS-KeOU

PhilH you suggesting the kidds leave the club and all investment? Actually thinking about it you probably do seen as you are a leigh fan!

As custodians of Swinton Lions, the Kidds should expect their record of achievement or otherwise to be a matter of public interest.

They have made some major errors of judgement in the way the club has been run this season.

Steve McCormack wouldn't say as much openly, its not in his best interests to do so if he wishes to keep open the option of getting another coaching job in due course.

If people want to believe his resignation is nothing to do with the decimation of last year's team, the manner of this year's recruitment and the impact of how partnering with Warrington has been done, its your choice. I know what I believe, and fully respect Steve McCormack for taking the decision he has.

Ffs i thought we'd got rid of all your vitriolic poison.

guess not.

All the best Steve.

Thanks for your commitment, openness, approachability and for the Championship 1 win which you created.

Teaching plus coaching the Lions, coaching Scotland and then with the recent loss of Jim......just how do you fit a life with family round all that!!!

Scotland for the World Cup I say!

As a Barrow fan I would just like to place on record that Steve is a real gentleman and a good guy. I know he helped me in any way he could with fundraising efforts when he was our coach - nothing was ever any bother to the man. Whatever his reasons I trust he enjoys his "retirement" from a sport he has been involved with at pro level for an awful long time. Good luck for the future Steve.

Before I comment I just want to say thanks to Steve for achieving something I never thought Id see us do, in winning the Championship (1).

There is no doubt in my mind that the main reason for Steve's departure are the personal reasons we all know have been difficult for him.

What I will say however is that in SOME aspects I do agree with Phil in that I really do not believe a coach of Steve's experience and quality would leave it until nearly February to complete his squad. I cant help but feel the Kidd's had a lot to do with it all in the way of withholding resources until the Warrington DR connection was set in stone. This has left us with the skeleton of last years squad plus a load of new inexperienced guys whos main interest is elsewhere, and it shows. They look like they have never played together on the field, the squad is consistently changing week-in, week-out, and it has resulted in us getting one bonus point out of 2 of our 'winnable' games. Looking at our 4 wins last year, we NEED to win our 'winnable' games if we are to have any chance of staying in this league.

Im not saying Steve left the club for this reason by any means, but I do believe it has put a lot of extra pressure on him, which taking into consideration his family problems, has probably made the decision for him.

Just to back up what I have said here are two videos from our championship winning season, when was the last time our team spirit looked that high? When was the last time we were that organised on the field? When was the last time our players looked that motivated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrsvlOKf3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxs6FS-KeOU

With respect most people have come on this thread and expressed gratitude for what Steve did for the Lions whilst in charge. Some have speculated of his reasons for reigning and some speculating on the next coach.

Only one person has come on and used this as an open attack on the club and particularly the Kidd family.

I expect that your coach will be someone who is currently on the Warrington Wolves backroom staff roster. Maybe John Bastian.

I cannot believe that even the most ardent Swinton fan would accept someone from Warringtons back room staff as head coach?

Long time lurker etc etc.

It's taken this to make me want to post at last. Want to thank Steve and wish him the very best of luck in whatever he decides to do in the future. That goes for his family too. We were bloody lucky to have him.

That said, I'm with Furryenzo. It surprises me that he's left it until now. Also, whilst many of us would have lost someone close to us - especially a parent - it doesn't mean you just jack the job in without good reason. I don't see how taking a big cut in income is putting your family first. However, I and, I suspect, most of us, don't know his true situation or state of mind. Maybe this is how he feels and some of the shenanigans around DL has made the decision easier. You never know.

Anyway, let's not get away from the fact that he has been a fantastic servant to the Lions and that he goes on to further success, both within and outside the game with his family.

Some of the speculation on here is a bit tasteless

Just wish the man good luck

Do the speculating as to our new boss elsewhere

Until we master the reading of minds his reasons and sense of loss are hos and his alone

Thank you Steve for your time with us and best wishes for the future whatever course you take

I agree with everything PhilH as said in his post, I am not having Steve Mc left the job for any other reason than the setup with Warrington. When I saw him at the legion before the season he looked like a man who was up for it and ready to go, and all of a sudden 3 games into the season he walks.

I know what your saying Alan about his dad passing away could be a reason and I really hope he is doing ok in grieving after this, I have got a lot of time for Steve as he is a top bloke. I reckon it as got to do with this dual reg and he as been sold down the river by Mr Kidd like we all have by him.

I wont say what I want to say because people will start having a moan about attacking the man who as sold swinton lions down the river, I will be doing my bitching by cancelling my season ticket after 25 years, we are having a laugh if we think we look at Brian Noble, why would he want to be Tony Smith #####.

RIP Swinton Lions

Great Work John Kidd hope you read this

Really bad news.

Thankyou to him for giving us some wondeful moments culminating in winning the Championship1.

A very sincere man and above all a gentleman. I am sure that the sad passing of his father has had a major influence on his decision and that is fully understandable.

I'd like to thank Steve and wish him and his family well in the future.

I think we would all echo what Alan has stated here about Steve. Thanks Steve from all Lions fans and best wishes to you and your family.

If we are opportuning blame could you Philh, Julian Caine and Greengrass not have something to do with your dagger in the back attitude.A person can only take so much muck stirring before it gets to him. As for having a go at John Kidd he is the man who as kept this club going over the last few years out of his own pocket, without him this club would have gone out of exsistance years ago.

Glenngary did you read my post properly before you put your stupid post on, I am Steve Mcs biggest fan and as always said he is the best coach in super league, thats why he as left because he is better than our club and the stupid arrangment we have got with Warrington.

Are you really that niave Glenngary you think John Kidd as run this club all this time and lined it from all his own pockets and not made one single penny back, what about his directors and sponsors who have chipped in along the way. So because john Kidd on his own as kept it a float without no support he can do what ever he wants to our club.

At the end of the day because of the stupid arrangment he as setup the club will die, and it would not surprise me if he is getting financially rewarded for the arrangment that as been put in place.

Brian Nobel.

Sounds good, could go with a bang, after all his brother Alfred invented dynamite didn't he?

Phil clarke as wrote a good article on sky sports web page and as hit the nail on the head regarding dr system, sorry dont know how to put a link on here to it

If we are opportuning blame could you Philh, Julian Caine and Greengrass not have something to do with your dagger in the back attitude.A person can only take so much muck stirring before it gets to him. As for having a go at John Kidd he is the man who as kept this club going over the last few years out of his own pocket, without him this club would have gone out of exsistance years ago.

"Dagger in the back"??? Never. If I throw a dagger, its from the front. At least you'll see it coming.

I was genuinely delighted on the day it was announced that Steve McCormack would take over as coach and have stated my support for him many times on this forum in the time since. As recently as the Workington defeat I took time out to post the following:

The main reason for putting a comment down is to make a plea to fellow supporters: Please cut Steve McCormack some slack. The guy has been placed into an impossible position.

No evidence of muck stirring there, but perhaps some prophetic words in light of today's events, no???

The question for John Kidd is whether he wants to run the club as a family play thing, or does he believe potential exists for Swinton Lions to be a much bigger entity, want to achieve growth and is prepared to show faith in the future and do the necessary work off the pitch. While he and Paul have both talked a lot about achieving growth, they have not in reality delivered any - a gate of 515 against Sheffield and no tangible progress at Agecroft demonstrates that. The partnership with Warrington is all about minimising overheads, and nothing to do with developing Swinton Lions in its own right, it is having a negative impact on gates.

Nobody is under any obligation to support the club, but at the same time I am absolutely convinced potential exists to draw a considerably larger audience to games. The key to tapping into that potential is for John to change the direction the club is heading in, target an audience and work to attract them. Else I fear your recent prophesy that the club will not survive relegation may be tested next season. But then again, if the club is nothing more than the personal property of John Kidd and run in that manner, why should anyone else care about it?

I personally think a Coach at our level should have 100% control of players he wants to sign and the team which plays on a Sunday afternoon . I feel this season Steve has not had that (i may be wrong).

Steve macormak is the best coach in this league and my heart goes out to Steve and his family he is also a man of principle and I feel the breaking up of last seasons team with what seems no backing from the kids to let Steve keep his plans for the team going forward instead the kids took any ambition Steve had for this season away and told to build a team round the Warrington rejects what a kick in the teeth for a top coach so good luck in the future Steve hope you get the backing you deserve in your next job in rugby league

So everyone who has decided that Steve has left for reasons other than family ones have you spoke to him and got the `truth` straight from him or is this yet more wild speculation that best fits your own personal grievances with the owners of this club. Also whilst all you axe grinders have all got your amazing gifts of mindreading and foresight can i please have this weeks euromillions numbers please as you seem to be able to predict the future fate of the club and the outcome of this season, convinced that you are once again right. In you own minds.:-)

"Dagger in the back"??? Never. If I throw a dagger, its from the front. At least you'll see it coming.

I was genuinely delighted on the day it was announced that Steve McCormack would take over as coach and have stated my support for him many times on this forum in the time since. As recently as the Workington defeat I took time out to post the following:

No evidence of muck stirring there, but perhaps some prophetic words in light of today's events, no???

The question for John Kidd is whether he wants to run the club as a family play thing, or does he believe potential exists for Swinton Lions to be a much bigger entity, want to achieve growth and is prepared to show faith in the future and do the necessary work off the pitch. While he and Paul have both talked a lot about achieving growth, they have not in reality delivered any - a gate of 515 against Sheffield and no tangible progress at Agecroft demonstrates that. The partnership with Warrington is all about minimising overheads, and nothing to do with developing Swinton Lions in its own right, it is having a negative impact on gates.

Nobody is under any obligation to support the club, but at the same time I am absolutely convinced potential exists to draw a considerably larger audience to games. The key to tapping into that potential is for John to change the direction the club is heading in, target an audience and work to attract them. Else I fear your recent prophesy that the club will not survive relegation may be tested next season. But then again, if the club is nothing more than the personal property of John Kidd and run in that manner, why should anyone else care about it?

couldnt agree more with what you have said phil like yourself i put my name to any post i put and my posting rip the lions will come true unless they sort out the direction of the club and move away asap from dr.

We may now learn some of the details of the Warrington partnership! Surely no coach worth his badge would take a role/job at Swinton with Warrington calling the shots on team selection etc... If its an internal selection of Watto or worse still a Warrington coach like Gary Chambers then somethings afoot and I don't mean twelve inches!