Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

the ten worst places....

29 posts in this topic

Oldham

Unluckily for those living in Oldham in Manchester, their town is the only non-London town to make it into the top eight worst places to live in the UK. According to the poll, this stems from inhabitants being dissatisfied with the amount of things to do in the area. In addition, those living in Oldham are not too impressed with the community spirit and safety of their neighbourhood.

http://www.ehow.co.u...-live.html#pg=7

Not long since moved out of Oldham, Some of the surrounding suburbs are ok but the centre is a waste of time I can't think of any reason for anyone to ever want to go there ahead of any other town. Sad really as 15 years ago that wasn't the case.

My Dad says Oldham was always rubbish (and he's a Latics fan of 70 years standing). Personally I recall it being much better than it is now, where I agree, there is no good reason for anybody to go there, except Sainsburys, perhaps. Maybe the Metrolink down Union Street will help revive the place - or maybe it'll just help people get to Manchester faster.

it will just encourage people to visit Manchester, anyone from the city visiting Oldham would only do it once. The years of traffic problems caused by the Metrolink work was probably the final nail in the coffin for the town.

Oldham is basically the Bradford of Lancashire. The people got Thatchered and since then have been let down by their public representatives and successive governments.

Now you've got two distinct communities, friction between them and a resultant reputation that deters investors.

I've done odd bits of work over in that area and I've never had any problems; I quite like it.

Not long since moved out of Oldham, Some of the surrounding suburbs are ok but the centre is a waste of time I can't think of any reason for anyone to ever want to go there ahead of any other town. Sad really as 15 years ago that wasn't the case.

I'm from Rochdale but 20 to 30 years ago Oldham was a far, far better town for a night out than was my home town and I was a regular there. The number and different types of pubs in the town centre was amazing. Places like "Hark to Topper", "Old Mess House", Yates' WL", and "Miners Arms" were always great going from old fashioned boozers with blokes playing Dominoes etc through to pubs with DJs playing great music at mind-numbing volumes.

Not been to either Rochdale or Oldham centre for a night out in many a year so couldn't comment now.

I'm always surprised with how many ex-Oldhamers now live in Rochdale as to me the two towns are very similar in many ways.

Last time I was in Oldham on a night out was many years ago but every bar is pretty much the same. Way to loud, no one over 25 and with a higher than you'd want chance of random violence. Only highlight was "the castle" which is a good live music venue.

Last time I was in Oldham on a night out was many years ago but every bar is pretty much the same. Way to loud, no one over 25 and with a higher than you'd want chance of random violence. Only highlight was "the castle" which is a good live music venue.

Doesn't that describe most towns and cities nowadays?

I was thinking the same thing.

Doesn't this partly describe the ageing process.? ;):)

Went to college there for four full-time years 1964 to 1968 and the place was in gradual urban developmental decline in a way that seems to have affected many northern towns. As old housing, shopping and industral properties were demolished for redevelopment. their replacements seemed visually at least, to be worse.

Shopping centre is better than Rochdales but the area outside and the Market are a shaddow of themselves.

As for Rochdales nightlife, there isn't any! No one goes out till 11pm.

When reading that i mentally substitute the word Oldham for the word of my hometown Dewsbury.

A shame really but i think it is the case of a good number of our towns.

Went to college there for four full-time years 1964 to 1968 and the place was in gradual urban developmental decline in a way that seems to have affected many northern towns. As old housing, shopping and industral properties were demolished for redevelopment. their replacements seemed visually at least, to be worse.

Your description of Oldham (above) could equally well describe Manchester itself up to a few years ago. In the 50s and 60s, it was fantastic (mind you, I was very young), but the 70s redevelopment totally wrecked the centre for the next 20 - 30 years. It has now turned itself around and I really enjoyed my "Magic Weekend" (sic) there last year.

Erm, so is Oldham all ten of the worst places?

The ten worst places are eight in number.

The ten worst places are eight in number.

9. Down South

10.The bits next to Down South

;):)

9. Down South

10.The bits next to Down South

;):)

They really were though on that list, Oldham was the only place outside Larndan.

They really were though on that list, Oldham was the only place outside Larndan.

Lazy list though, as these things always are.

But, obviously, the one that confirmed my present locale as Britain's Most Desirable Village was correct in every way.

Only been to Oldham a couple of times, both watching Swindon Town against the Latics. No idea about it being one of the worst places in Britain but I can confirm it can be one of the coldest!

Only been to Oldham a couple of times, both watching Swindon Town against the Latics. No idea about it being one of the worst places in Britain but I can confirm it can be one of the coldest!

Count yourself lucky you never had the 'pleasure' of having to visit The Watersheddings. :O

Aah The Watersheddings what a great place. I remember when the Sunday Sport sponsored a game between Oldham and Leeds in the middle of winter. You don't get sights like that these days at RL games.

Aah The Watersheddings what a great place. I remember when the Sunday Sport sponsored a game between Oldham and Leeds in the middle of winter. You don't get sights like that these days at RL games.

Chapel hat pegs?

Doesn't this partly describe the ageing process.? ;):)

What you've written might be correct, I'll just fetch my glasses to check.