Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flying 5

The Amber Ribbon

197 posts in this topic

Well amber ribbon I commend your recent efforts. You have very much birthed yourself into the digital age and embraced the internet. Since my last post you have created an active facebook/twitter page and your well on the way to going live with a website well done. Now let’s connect with the non internet connected generation. I’m more than willing to put my many printers into action to print out whatever you need regards hand out newsletters for game days. Let’s drop a sheet onto every table in the royal suite for the supporters to read. You AR guys know who I am now so if you want anything printing out in bulk let me know.

The website is now live, and as with all new things there is bound to be teething problems from elusive spelling mistakes to broken links.

Any feedback will help put things right, if you have issues seeing the whole screen simply hold down CTRL and scroll the wheel on your mouse to adjust it.

http://www.amberribbon.org.uk

Please post any issues in this thread, but also things you particularly like or you feel could be expanded.
We are also looking for anyone who feels they can offer anything for the site from photographs to match reports to even running it as I will be handing it over in due course.

Enjoy :)

I know that BISSA are much further down the road than you guys but this is very interesting and might be an idea the next time around:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/239906-rugby-league-world-cup-semi-final-double-header-trip/

The website is now live, and as with all new things there is bound to be teething problems from elusive spelling mistakes to broken links.

Any feedback will help put things right, if you have issues seeing the whole screen simply hold down CTRL and scroll the wheel on your mouse to adjust it.

http://www.amberribbon.org.uk

Please post any issues in this thread, but also things you particularly like or you feel could be expanded.
We are also looking for anyone who feels they can offer anything for the site from photographs to match reports to even running it as I will be handing it over in due course.

Enjoy :)

Just visited the site it's brilliant. Please guys give it a look you will be impressed. 

We recently launched our 'Spread and Save' scheme. Fill up your jam jar with loose change and all funds generated will be put towards supporting the club. We've already had jars back! For more info visit www.amberribbon.org.uk.

any chance someone with leaflets etc behind north stand please ?

The Amber Ribbon has an information booth behind the South Stand on most home match days and committee members are present in the Royal Suite after games. Why not come and say hello?

As an added incentive for 'Spread and Save' participants, prizes will be awarded to those who return their jars first and raise the most money. Fill one jar and get another one (filled with jam!) for free.

Whys it called the Amber Ribbon, out of interest?

No mention of Red or Black and not sure what the Ribbon bit is about?

Its a phrase from a long standing Dewsbury Anthem sung in the South Stand

Whys it called the Amber Ribbon, out of interest?

No mention of Red or Black and not sure what the Ribbon bit is about?

It's something that is sung in the south stand on game day, "she wore an amber ribbon, she wore it for her lover and he played for Dewsbury"

Can anyone explain why there is a page dedicated to the Batley club, with several sly digs and sarky comments included?

Yes I'm aware there is a spoof site mocking Dewsbury, which I suspect has been created by an independent Batley fan. However that person/s have done this independently. It doesn't feature on the club official site or the BISSA one and never will.

All this does is make the AR look like a bit of a joke with little credibility, which I suspect is the total opposite of your objectives as a supposedly serious fundraising organisation. If you feel that the best way to attract members is to mock a rival club then you really need to have a good think about what your doing. Surely you can think of much worthier initiatives to attract support. If not then you need to look at finding a better committee.

This isn't the comments of a defensive batley fan. I'm just shocked that an actual affiliated organisation would consider this appropriate. Funny for Rams fans more than likely, but hardly representative of an organisation with a serious and professional intent.

Shame really as the rest of the website looks great.

Can anyone explain why there is a page dedicated to the Batley club, with several sly digs and sarky comments included?

Is this on the AR site? Could you please put the link on so I can see?

I don't think anyone can argue with the tannoy system part, but apart from that it's uncalled for a little bit.

It's just a bit of harmless fun obviously written with great affection. It must be because for many of the sections you only have to remove Batley and insert any other club of your choice, Dewsbury being particularly apt. Still, if only our food, junior set up and ground were as good as Dewsbury's!

I think it's quite amusing in terms of the content but just not sure the AR website is an appropriate place for that type of thing if they are looking for serious credibility. Just my opinion though and the last ill say on the matter.

I think it's quite amusing in terms of the content but just not sure the AR website is an appropriate place for that type of thing if they are looking for serious credibility. Just my opinion though and the last ill say on the matter.

Despite my previous post Nick, I take your point. It is ok from a non official source, but I do think it sends out the wrong message. It gives a rather amatuerish impression of what I am sure the members would like to be an effective and professional organisation.

Thanks DD, you've summed up there what I was trying to say far more eloquently.

He didn't need to know; he's not one of our followers.

Yes I'm aware there is a spoof site mocking Dewsbury, which I suspect has been created by an independent Batley fan. However that person/s have done this independently. It doesn't feature on the club official site or the BISSA one and never will.

All this does is make the AR look like a bit of a joke with little credibility, which I suspect is the total opposite of your objectives as a supposedly serious fundraising organisation. If you feel that the best way to attract members is to mock a rival club then you really need to have a good think about what your doing. Surely you can think of much worthier initiatives to attract support. If not then you need to look at finding a better committee.

This isn't the comments of a defensive batley fan. I'm just shocked that an actual affiliated organisation would consider this appropriate. Funny for Rams fans more than likely, but hardly representative of an organisation with a serious and professional intent.

There is an article on Batley as part of the away games part of the site. Eventually there will be information on all grounds.

The theme of the website is that it is non generic and independent. I have tried to sway away from the typical, almost predictable nature of most rugby/sport websites by offering a different, humorous and common take on things.

I believe that fans of rugby league have excellent banter, and that is the tone in which the article was written.

The 'digs' are nothing more than delicate nudges and the article sings loudly the praises. Typically you have latched on to what you don't like whilst completely ignoring the praise aimed at the club.

You need to relax a little and recognise that it is a fans website made by fans, for fans. With banter pivotal to the game day experience, with Batley being our adversaries and with a long history between the clubs, I think the article encompasses the relationship and hones in on game day hostilities edged with a smile.

Relax :)

NB: If you or anyone else would like to add to the website the AR would be grateful.

Nick,

It was not and is not ever our intention to offend. The piece was meant as a bit of banter, no foul language was used, nothing other than a bit of mickey taking. I have heard much, much worse on the terraces. Here it is called banter and we often boast of it's humour to other sports. 

One of the aim's of the site was/is to be proactive with members, indeed to invite them to be contributors. The comments on the Batley's away ground was merely to show that you don't need to be a Guardian journalist to take part. Within the boundaries of decency,without being personally insulting it can be fun.

If the site has offended you I am sorry it was only meant as a bit of fun.