Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DugSWRLgan

Wales RL World Cup 2013/General News

477 posts in this topic

Any news?

I believe it is being announced right now... 2000hrs announcement.

I like reading these updates and I'm hoping to get along to Wrexham to watch the Wales -v- USA match.  I doubt I'll see the USA playing rugby league in this country again in the near future. 

Nothing on wrl site, twitter or Facebook.

Just what I was thinking. If it was supposed to be released 2 hours ago and is the biggest thing in Wales since mechanical winches were introduced to the mines, they're sure keeping it under wraps.

The news was announced to around 200 specially invited guests in Bridgend County Borough tonight with ex GB Lion Allan Bateman in attendance.

Problems beyond the control of those involved have prevented the full releases until tomorrow, and I can't post any pics that I have as I am on an iPad.

However, the news is incredibly positive and the evening was received with great excitement.

Sincere apologies all, but good things come to those who wait....

The news was announced to around 200 specially invited guests in Bridgend County Borough tonight with ex GB Lion Allan Bateman in attendance.

Problems beyond the control of those involved have prevented the full releases until tomorrow, and I can't post any pics that I have as I am on an iPad.

However, the news is incredibly positive and the evening was received with great excitement.

Sincere apologies all, but good things come to those who wait....

Amazed it's not been leeked by anyone! ; )

wiganacademymae.jpg
New Academy in South Wales as WRL relocates

Wales Rugby League, Wigan Warriors, Coleg y Cymoedd and Maesteg School officially launched a new Rugby League Academy at Maesteg School on Tuesday evening.

This move will significantly boost the Rugby League player pathway structures in South Wales ahead of the forthcoming Rugby League World Cup, with Wales playing Italy on the opening day of the tournament at the Millennium Stadium on October 26th.

The new academy further strengthens the sports growing popularity in South Wales and will provide Wales Rugby League a new permanent base in facilities that will include office space, a state of the art gymnasium, all-weather training pitches and grass pitches.

WRL Chief Operating Officer Chief Officer said: “This is a significant day for ourselves as we are not only improving what we are delivering to our young performance players but we are also seeing the beginning of the sport developing a permanent base in South Wales. This represents a fantastic opportunity for the players and ourselves in building a lasting legacy from the World Cup.

“The number of partners that have assisted in making this happen has been immense and on behalf of WRL I thank them all in helping to set this up. Namely Skillsactive, European Social Fund, Welsh Assembly, Coleg y Cymoedd, Maesteg Comprehensive School, Innoved and Wigan Warriors RLFC.

“The families of the players involved also require a special mention as they have been hugely supportive to this new Academy. Some of our performance players have had to make huge sacrifices to be closer to Maesteg and this shows their level of commitment.

“The players will be receiving daily training at Maesteg Sixth Form as part of a new AASE pilot, with the funding obtained for this representing the biggest ever investment to Wales Rugby League from a welsh body. The improvement to our pathway structures further supports our vision of being a top four nation by the end of the 2017 World Cup and it is another sign the sport is taking significant strides in Wales.”

This Academy has come to fruition through the commitment of all four partners to provide a sector-leading environment for talented Welsh Rugby League Players to develop both on and off the field, gaining educational qualifications, as well as being the only school in the United Kingdom to deliver the Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE) programme for Rugby League.

Maesteg School was chosen for its location at the heart of the South Wales Valleys, being the border between East and West Wales, as well as its excellent educational standards, recognised by ESTYN 2012, particularly in the field of physical education.

Furthermore, the support of staff for students and the local community links fostered by the school made this the perfect institution to base the Academy. All of the partners in the delivery of the Academy are extremely grateful that the project has been supported by the European Social Fund through the Welsh government.

A wider community programme will also ensue in the area with Academy players supporting delivery to training to pupils in both the lower school and in the local primary schools, further increasing participation levels in the sport.

Amongst other initiatives in this partnership, the school will be delivering training to the Academy players in public speaking, interview techniques and key skills delivery. They will also be hosting both Maesteg School Rugby League games in the Champion Schools tournament and chosen South Wales Academy games following this year’s well supported Scorpions academy game against Wakefield Trinity Wildcats which signalled the beginning of the partnership.

Wales Rugby League’s player performance pathway has gone from strength to strength in recent years, and the provision of the Academy, its staff and resources at the school will considerably improve the standards of the players at under 18s level and into the future for club and international Rugby League in Wales. This Academy is also a major boost for Rugby League in South Wales in the same year as the World Cup comes to the country.

Speaking about the Academy, Stuart Hogg, Director of Learning at Maesteg School said: “This partnership represents a unique educational opportunity with the world’s most successful Rugby League club and our National Governing Body for Rugby League.

“The town of Maesteg has a rich heritage of producing Rugby League players including ex-pupil Allan Bateman, who was here at the launch yesterday to formally open the Academy.

The Academy will play a considerable role in extending our educational provision and reducing the number of students not in education or training. Furthermore, the Academy concept promotes high standards and aspirations for the students and we are delighted to be involved in it.”

Andy Coley, Wales Partnership and Liaison Manager, said: “We are delighted to see the Wigan and Wales link is strengthened further with the opening of the Academy. It will give the young players of South Wales a greater possibility of achieving  success by following this pathway. Our staff – Wales internationals Dave Clark and Jordan James - are an integral part of the AASE Programme and will offer their experience in Coaching and Strength and Conditioning to those on the course.”

Great for the future of the game. So many more young players will be developed which will be good for the Scorpions and Wales (and Wigan for the very best).

What has happened with the academy that was happening in West Wales from Whitland School that was announced in a similar manner last November?

What has happened with the academy that was happening in West Wales from Whitland School that was announced in a similar manner last November?

Whitland was never an Academy - just a RPDC (Regional Player Development Centre).

In other words, some players trained there maybe once or twice a week but there's no full time training such as the new one at Maesteg School.

Thanks for clearing that up but is it still operating as Rpdc?

As far as I know it is. John Ellis is the West Wales DO so I will find out for you.

PBC

The North Wales centre at Deeside is not an Academy in the same sense as Maesteg. However, it has exceptional facilities and some great staff who fully support WRL.

I think the World Cup squad will be using his facility. Maesteg was offered but due to timescales whilst everything was being agreed, it was not possible to confirm.

However, Maesteg School's entire Year 7 are studying 17 lessons a fortnight as part of their sector leading skills curriculum ALL on the RLWC, up until the end of h tournament. This constitutes more than 3 full days per fortnight purely looking at the RLWC !

As a result of this, after a visit and a talk by Ray Tennant, the ex-international referee last week, the pupils and their families have snapped up over 200 tickets for the Cardiff opener, and demand has been such that another 100 were ordered yesterday due to demand.

It's a pity that Boots N All haven't seemed interested in doing a feature on the entire Maesteg Academy, especially in the run up to the RLWC....

The North Wales centre at Deeside is not an Academy in the same sense as Maesteg. However, it has exceptional facilities and some great staff who fully support WRL.

I think the World Cup squad will be using his facility. Maesteg was offered but due to timescales whilst everything was being agreed, it was not possible to confirm.

However, Maesteg School's entire Year 7 are studying 17 lessons a fortnight as part of their sector leading skills curriculum ALL on the RLWC, up until the end of h tournament. This constitutes more than 3 full days per fortnight purely looking at the RLWC !

As a result of this, after a visit and a talk by Ray Tennant, the ex-international referee last week, the pupils and their families have snapped up over 200 tickets for the Cardiff opener, and demand has been such that another 100 were ordered yesterday due to demand.

It's a pity that Boots N All haven't seemed interested in doing a feature on the entire Maesteg Academy, especially in the run up to the RLWC....

I forgot to say PBC, well done to WRL on this outstanding move.

I do feel however the annoucment has been overlooked by much of the RL press, which is a damn shame.

And on WRL being congratulated they certainly deserve it. Equally, Ian Lenaghan, Iestyn Harris, Andy Coley, Wayne Joyce, Keith Schmecel and all the Wigan staff at Central Park deserve it to, for their full and unstinting commitment to this. Also a big shout to Dan Clements who did much of the original spade work for WRL over the first seven months of this project being set up.